cycling after dislocated shoulder

Dislocated my L shoulder in chute at the weekend, needed sedation to put it back in :#

I'm due to go cycling in the Lakes (gravel and road) at start of August. Should I bin?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,420
    Should be fine. Mel Gibson used to pop his shoulder in and out all the time and was able to kill a load of bad guys no problem. ๐Ÿ‘
    Pinno, ืžืœืš ืื™ื“ื™ื•ื˜ ื•ื—ืจื ืžื›ื•ื ืื™
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,420
    If mobility isnโ€™t greatly affected Iโ€™m sure the pain will have decreased sufficiently or even gone altogether by August.
    Pinno, ืžืœืš ืื™ื“ื™ื•ื˜ ื•ื—ืจื ืžื›ื•ื ืื™
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,935
    That's 6-7 week's time, so my non-medical expertise would suggest that you should be OK.
    Heal quick, and hope it's not too sore for long.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    seanoconn said:

Should be fine. Mel Gibson used to pop his shoulder in and out all the time and was able to kill a load of bad guys no problem. ๐Ÿ‘

Mel? You sure?

Surely Bruce, n'est ce pas,?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    secretsam said:

Dislocated my L shoulder in chute at the weekend, needed sedation to put it back in :#

I'm due to go cycling in the Lakes (gravel and road) at start of August. Should I bin?

See how it feels at the time - could be fine, could be not.

You can't predict this stuff 5 weeks in advance especially after a psragrsph long post on a bicycle forum.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited June 2022
    secretsam said:

What did the ortho say..? Presumably you asked them this question.

Either way, it's all about the ligaments. How much of a displacement was there, was there ligament damage - if so how much and the extent to which they will need to recover.

Impossible to answer based on the (lack of) info you've provided.
  • PMark
    PMark Posts: 159
    It will be more susceptible to coming out again, in the short term. So you may want to take it easy for the next week or so. But I didnโ€™t have any issues cycling after I dislocated my shoulder (other than it being sore for a while).
  • MattFalle
    as per Imp - what did the doctor say?
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099

secretsam said:

What did the ortho say..? Presumably you asked them this question.

Either way, it's all about the ligaments. How much of a displacement was there, was there ligament damage - if so how much and the extent to which they will need to recover.

Impossible to answer based on the (lack of) info you've provided.
    Not been seen in fracture clinic yet. Was too exhausted after ED treatment, not thinking straight (drugs, innit).

It's just a hill. Get over it.