The price of carbon wherls

Seems to me that in the last 5 years while everything else to do with bikes - including carbon framesets - have shot up in price carbon wheels have stayed pretty stable or even got cheaper.

Am I mistaken - are we due a price rise on wheelsets or being ripped off on everything else ?
[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Being ripped off elsewhere, carbon wheels are no longer a massively new thing only for pros - look how many bikes come with thrm as standard - and loads of people making them as they know wheels will sell.

People are still getting massively ripped off on wheels, but at least there are choices that allow you not to do so.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    On the other hand... price of a Specialized Allez comp (alloy frame, carbon fork, specced with 105)

2006: £ 1200
    2012 £ 1200
    2022 £ 2650
    left the forum March 2023
  • MattFalle

On the other hand... price of a Specialized Allez comp (alloy frame, carbon fork, specced with 105)

2012 £ 1200
    2022 £ 2650

2650???

Seriously?

Now thats shocking.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Yeah…I know and basically the only upgrade, if you want to call it that way, is the hydraulic brakes
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958

2012 £ 1200
    2022 £ 2650

It's the sprint which is 2650. Up to last year the allez with 105 was 1400ish, they've switched to sram rival this year but that can be had for 1400.

OP you're right on the price of carbon wheels. Can only assume it's because like everything, manufacturing techniques become refined and more efficient over time, bringing cost savings, and carbon wheels haven't really changed much design wise.
    Not to mention more competition from the far east, so prices remain quite competitive.
  • MattFalle
    Soz, but what sort of mug pays £2650 for an Allez comp?
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    It's the Allez Sprint comp. Better frame - costs £1,500 as a framset alone new vs an entire build up allez for £800 (lowest spec).
  • redvision
    As above, different bike, different frame.

The allez elite is the bike you should be comparing prices for. Today, with sram rival (105 until last year) it is 1400ish.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Specialized/Allez-E5-Elite-Road-Bike-2022/VYO6
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Have you seen the price is cinnamon wherls (sic)? Up 20% in the past year or so.
  • ugo.santalucia
    The Allez Elite was £ 999 in 2006… I got the comp back then, which was 1200, although. I got it reduced. Even then the Comp had extra things over the Elite like the Zertz inserts, the full carbon fork etc.
  • To get back onto wheels for a second... am I remembering correctly that when Zipp first became commercially available they basically said that carbon rims were pretty much a disposable item, largely the reserve of pro cyclists, and if you hit a pothole/kerb at 25mph they would likely break, so buyer beware?

I could essentially have just made this up in my head, but have a recollection of it from somewhere! :)
  • feelgoodlost
    feelgoodlost Posts: 313
    If you're paying anything over £1500-£2000 for an alloy bike you need your head looking at.
  • redvision
    edited June 2022

If you're paying anything over £1500-£2000 for an alloy bike you need your head looking at.

I disagree. You can get some really sh1te carbon frames in that price range. Just because it's alloy doesn't mean it isn't a good frame. I'm not sure how good the sprint frame is (query the welds) but as someone who owns the allez elite as a training bike, the frame is really good and in the current world I think still represents excellent value for money.
  • MattFalle

Soooo wrong. Utterly sucked in by the marketing.

• feelgoodlost
    redvision said:

I disagree. You can get some really sh1te carbon frames in that price range. Just because it's alloy doesn't mean it isn't a good frame. I'm not sure how good the sprint frame is (query the welds) but as someone who owns the allez elite as a training bike, the frame is really good and in the current world I think still represents excellent value for money.
    I don't doubt that because it's alloy, it isn't a good frame. All I'm suggesting is, that you really don't need to be paying in excess of the price above. It might be a different matter if it was kitted out with Ultegra/DA and some half-decent wheels. If it came with 105 and some stock, heavy, alloy wheels, I'd be looking elsewhere.
  • redvision
    edited June 2022

redvision said:

I don't doubt that because it's alloy, it isn't a good frame. All I'm suggesting is, that you really don't need to be paying in excess of the price above. It might be a different matter if it was kitted out with Ultegra/DA and some half-decent wheels. If it came with 105 and some stock, heavy, alloy wheels, I'd be looking elsewhere.
    You're not in touch with reality. Dura ace costs more than that just for the groupset and ultegra bikes are more commonly found in the 4k price range these days.

The sprint is supposed to be a crit ready machine. Personally I'm not sure whether this represents value for money or not, but compared to similar priced bikes I don't see many massive differences, apart from frame material. And if the sprint is as stiff as they claim, then it sounds good value for crit racers imo.
  • feelgoodlost
    redvision said:

redvision said:

You're not in touch with reality. Dura ace costs more than that just for the groupset and ultegra bikes are more commonly found in the 4k price range these days.

The sprint is supposed to be a crit ready machine. Personally I'm not sure whether this represents value for money or not, but compared to similar prices bikes I don't see many massive differences, apart from frame material. And if the sprint is as stiff as they claim, then it sounds good value for crit racers imo.
    OK.

• MattFalle
    https://youtu.be/e4oUAH4UWVQ

Gcn are on the ali side if that helps
  • MattFalle
    Imagine a CAAD 10 with Red 11 mechanical - a totally different league than a carbon bike with Ultegra.

Bowman Palace (RIP)

Personally I'd have a Soloist other 80% of most modern sub £2k carbon bikes

But the marketing works....
  • MattFalle

If you're paying 1500 - 2000 for a carbon bike and think its any good you need your head looking at.
  • feelgoodlost
    MattFalle said:

If you're paying 1500 - 2000 for a carbon bike and think its any good you need your head looking at.
    Who said anything about paying that for a carbon bike?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Paul Miles have a Ridley Helium SLA, so the alloy version, for 550… I have been looking at it for some time… the fork is not matched, but it’s a lovely frame for the money… 1.5 kg for the frame + forks
  • MattFalle

Paul Miles have a Ridley Helium SLA, so the alloy version, for 550… I have been looking at it for some time… the fork is not matched, but it’s a lovely frame for the money… 1.5 kg for the frame + forks

Best buy it then.

That, 1x, 20 speed Red or Record, stripped out l/hsnd shifter.... stupid light hill climber for pennies.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065

A Cannondale CAAD bike is 100% worth it.
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

Who said anything about paying that for a carbon bike?
    So first you said you had to be mad to pay 1500 - 2000 for an ali bike then when everyone pointed out you were wrong you're now saying that a 1500 - 2k carbon us a waste of money as well.

Make up your mind fella.
  • MattFalle
    Would a Planet X ti build for around £1500 be ok?

Far cooler and better than a £2k plastic bike.
  • feelgoodlost
    MattFalle said:

Would a Planet X ti build for around £1500 be ok?

Far cooler and better than a £2k plastic bike.

I've got both of those things. Thanks 'Fella'

This comes from the person who sh*ts on anything that comes with or has Ultegra, or anyone who dares to ride in a club. You'll have to forgive me if I don't come to you for your sage advice.
  • MattFalle
    So you've bought stuff that you are saying you are out of your mind to buy? As in you would be barmy to spend your money on but you have already?

Eh?

What you on about Willis?

• MattFalle
    Oh you're not in one of those clubs where you don't talk to people unless they have a carbon bike no matter that they could have got a better ali bike and they have to earn the right to be spoken to are you and they sll think Ultegra is mega granular and sll wear club kit all the time?

Oh.