National Championships 2022 ***Spoilers***

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Ouch. Straight into the barriers corner #1.
  • orraloon
    Very different race for the men's crit. Leading 3 are 40+ seconds ahead. Can they lap the peloton?
  • orraloon
    Good race. Matt Bostock takes it. Group of 3 work together fast to get to 200m from the rear of the peloton then tactics to work out the 1,2,3.

That 17yo, 6'5" Welsh guy looks a future star.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Yeah, he's been winning races in Europe this season, four so far, after finishing second in the Junior ITT at the Worlds last year. He's definitely on the radar of WT teams.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Josh Tarling? I hadn't realise he'd got quite that good, I remember him racing against the kids I used to help coach on local cross races.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    Pross said:

Josh Tarling? I hadn't realise he'd got quite that good, I remember him racing against the kids I used to help coach on local cross races.

And his little bro is possibly even better....
    Had no idea he was 8 foot tall though?!!
  • Pross
    I just realised I've probably ridden some of the roads the French champs are being held on as I keep seeing signs for my home town's French twin town where I stayed a few times in the 90s. Cholet was the nearest 'main' town. Not the most challenging terrain but was I nice place to ride.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,327
    So who's going to the National Champs on Sunday?

Was figuring I will stand at the top of the rise to CD somewhere around Gelston for the initial loops. I was surprised the route is going down the A745/711 to Dalbeattie instead of up - there's a very sharp right hander near the bottom and it's a quick descent which in tomorrows forecasted weather, will be treacherous (I called it).
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,919
    Weather looks nice.....
  • orraloon
    Given the weather conditions here, wet and hitting 40mph gusts, I wouldn't have fancied sitting on the start line for 10 mins or so. Nice warm up. Going to be a challenging race.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    Mens French RR today iirc, hopefully JA puts in a good enough show to make TDF start.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Pross
    This is grim for the women. Lone leader going to get caught soon. Suspect there'll be very few finishers.
  • orraloon
    I'm in Castle Douglas town. Conditions are horrible. Rain is forecast to drop off by mid pm, wind still to blow hard.
  • andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 406
    edited June 2022
    *deleted post
  • Pross
    Now the early break is caught it doesn't look like anyone else is particularly keen to try.

Another British race with very limited race information graphics, it's embarrassing.
  • Pross
    As I say that the race breaks to pieces, not sure it was so much an attack as a few riders going hard on the front and most of the peloton being in "f**k it" mode.
  • Pross
    Monica Greenwood chasing Alice Towers, the lone leader. That's the second time Greenwood has been chasing the leader having failed first time. Looks more likely to make it now. Groups rejoining behind, I suspect it reached the headwind section and no-one wanted to be on the front.

Rain seems to have dies down if not stopped (or maybe not as they switch to another camera)
  • orraloon
    Nah, still raining. I plan to walk down to catch the finish. Don't fancy standing in the windy rain for too long.
  • Pross
    Looks like Towers has a good shot with a lap to go. Lead is 1' 38" over a group of 4 including Backstedt and Henderson with a lone rider around 10" in front of that group now getting caught.
  • Pross
    Very strong chase group, Georgi is in there too. Tower has a team mate there though.
  • Towers wins, then Georgi and Henderson

In Spain, Carlos Rodriguez wins from Herrada and Aranburu
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    Entertaining, a good win from Towers, thought her teammate was doing a little too much at one point but that was a great performance by LeCol Wahoo
  • Pross
    Very impressive win to go solo from that far out in those conditions. Not a bad first ever road race win - needs to work on her victory celebration though!
  • orraloon
    LeCol played that well. Good win for her. I hid behind the corner of the building on that last corner onto the finish to keep out of the wet as much as could. Facing into that wind + wet is unpleasant. Still raining here but supposed to peter out by 3ish. Wind will be a sig factor in upcoming men's.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Definitely looked a tad warmer in Majorca than CDouglas.
  • Pross
    I find the men's UK champs a bit frustrating. 10 years ago we were getting all the top continental pros turn up but 90% were on one team. Now they are spread well across a load of teams but it feels like more aren't showing up*

Strong group forming now though, always nice to see Cavendish getting involved in a break.

* I haven't looked at this year's field so may not be the case this time.
  • Pross
    Going to come back together now
  • Pross
    Or not, it keeps closing up then opening again. Gap looks bigger than ever with 3 potato chasers between.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    Good race in France.
    Another nat jersey for QS.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    UK mens live stream from British Cycling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUSzrj416a4
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo