Post ride hygiene

This is probably a stupid question but after a ride and shower do you always put back on the clothing you were wearing prior to a ride or do you put on loose clothing to allow your lower half to recover from being trapped inside lycra for the previous couple of hours?

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    I thought the whole thing was that compression clothing was the way to go to aid recovery?

Personally I just chuck on whatever I fancy, generally its whateverclothes I'm wearing for the rest of the day.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,266
    No hygiene for me… at all
    left the forum March 2023
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618
    edited June 2022
    Handful of sudocrem up the @rse crack and then back into my onesie...
  • Clean pants as a minimum
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    Shower and dry then normal clothes. Your skin won’t care as long as it is clean and dry.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kermy
    kermy Posts: 7
    Thanks for all the comments. Being an newbie I just wasn't sure what you normally did.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    kermy said:

Thanks for all the comments. Being an newbie I just wasn't sure what you normally did.

I don't think there is any 'normal' in that sense - and I really think that trying to identify some sort of convention - where there is unlikely to be one - is a bit pointless.

It depends what you started out wearing, or what time of day it might be. For instance, if you just rolled out of bed and went for an early morning ride, you are probably unlikely to put your jimmyjams on again afterwards.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

kermy said:

I don't think there is any 'normal' in that sense - and I really think that trying to identify some sort of convention - where there is unlikely to be one - is a bit pointless.

It depends what you started out wearing, or what time of day it might be. For instance, if you just rolled out of bed and went for an early morning ride, you are probably unlikely to put your jimmyjams on again afterwards.
    Or spend the day naked if you don’t wear jimmyjams, but then again some might;)
  • imposter2.0
    webboo said:

kermy said:

Or spend the day naked if you don’t wear jimmyjams, but then again some might;)
    I mentioned jimjams in the hope of maintaining a sense of decency.. ;)
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    General rule for me is, if it's been the inner layer against my skin, it doesn't go back on once it's been worn - socks, boxers, t-shirt etc.
    Jeans, jumper, hoody etc - get a few days out of them.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • MattFalle
    crescent said:

General rule for me is, if it's been the inner layer against my skin, it doesn't go back on once it's been worn - socks, boxers, t-shirt etc.
    Jeans, jumper, hoody etc - get a few days out of them.

But unless you permanently wear long johns, a wetsuit or cover your whole body in cling film under your clothes then your jeans will, essentially, be your inner (ie only) layer) against your skin.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,540
    edited June 2022

Depends how long your jeans are...

• MattFalle
    Or, alternatively, how short his legs are.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564
    A long flowing summer dress might be the perfect thing. It will remain an outer layer with minimal skin contact and provide a large amount of circulating air.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,266
    Or just get a life and forget about all this nonsense
    left the forum March 2023
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,638
    This thread is completely bizarre.
  • crescent
    I walk very slowly and carefully to ensure my jeans don't touch any part of my skin between my socks and my boxers. Once they do, it's game over and they're in the laundry :)
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • kermy
    kermy Posts: 7
    Ok I get it. So if I ride during the middle of the day. I can simply put back on the clothes I was wearing in the morning prior to my ride once I have had a shower. I just thought there were additional precautions you need to take afyer wraring padded shorts but was obviously mistaken.
  • MattFalle
    kermy said:

Ok I get it. So if I ride during the middle of the day. I can simply put back on the clothes I was wearing in the morning prior to my ride once I have had a shower. I just thought there were additional precautions you need to take afyer wraring padded shorts but was obviously mistaken.

Yup - just have a shower and get dressed.

All you're doing is going out for a ride on a bicycle.
  • imposter2.0
    kermy said:

Unless your regular route goes past Chernobyl or Fukushima, then no further precautions are necessary...
  • MattFalle
    Tbh, a good Veeting down below, ride, shower, lather up, rinse, clothes.

All you need.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    You could buy one of these and use it between getting off the bike and entering the house. That way you could live in your cycle clothing albeit you would smell slightly of Domestos.

https://youtube.com/shorts/uw8LCDroiQ8?feature=share

There will be a few available second hand after the pandemic has gone completely.
  • crescent
    MattFalle said:

All you need.

There is an infamous Amazon review of Veet that was applied to a bloke's "gentleman's area". Possibly not the way to go.

:o
  • MattFalle
    crescent said:

MattFalle said:

All you need.

There is an infamous Amazon review of Veet that was applied to a bloke's "gentleman's area". Possibly not the way to go.

:o
    Nah - thats, literally,bollox that be.

Slap it on everywhere, leave for ten minutes, scrub off with an old pair of socks

#smoothasaneel.