Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

tlw1 said:

pinno said:

There's no hope when the recipient hasn't got a clue what's on offer TLW.

He should just trust the room
    I'm waiting for the 'which bike for £x?' in road buying advice thread and then paying silly money for the wrong thing as opposed to a classy bit of kit with a classy gruppo and the most fantastic wheels* for climbing those downs.

*One's which, in their current incarnation, are upwards of £800 a pair.

Some people.
    Have you got one that doesn't look like it's made out of red drinking straws?
    Say's the purchaser of a Snapierre.
    Mine didn't snap and it definitely didn't look like it might...
    How about silver straws?

Still looks a bit 'snappy'. Mind you, when I do get a roadie bike I fancy something made of Ti.
    Why; 'cos it sounds good?

What do you want from a road bike, do you know?

The C40 won on the cobbles at Paris Roubaix 5 times no less.
    In the first year with the Mapei team's boss fretting all night prior to the race with the C40's debut, he called Ernesto Colnago.
    Colnago had tested the thing to breaking point and Ernesto had to persuade the Mapei-Quick step boss that it was a safe option.
    The C40 was the winning bike - 3 in the top 10 were C40's. The following year, it was a 1st 2nd 3rd.

You could spend upwards of £3k on a new, modern bike and easily have something inferior to that C40.

They aren’t nice those cobbles
    Best do 'em on a mountain bike.
    ...and come last.
    But not have a sore arris.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    'Sore arms'... diddums.
    There ain't many trees to crash into.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    Anyway - you don't need Titanium 'cos you're not very big and you couldn't bend a straw even if you tried.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129
    pinno said:

Anyway - you don't need Titanium 'cos you're not very big and you couldn't bend a straw even if you tried.

clear sign of a past spent driving to the tops of hills only to coast down on a bike with suspension and shock absorbers

bound to result in befuddlement, enfeeblement and a general lack of moral fibre
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pinno
    Never in the history of Bike Radar has anything been so succinctly and accurately described.
  • pinno
    For the blatant, manipulative inclusion of the picture of shiny straw, I do apologise SG.
  • beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,533
    edited June 2022
    pinno said:

Wot be you saying like?

;)
  • pinno

pinno said:

Wot be you saying like?

;)
    Well B³, you haven't managed to snap your bike made of straws so therefore, Stevo would be quite safe on something not made of Ti.

As an aside, I have a few cycling friends over 6 foot 2 much.
    Few are content with CF frames, or at least, there are a few frames made of CF to which they are content with. Those being Giant (functional though soul less) and BMC.
    I think they can put excessive pressure (leverage) on frames in a way that smaller riders don't. Ti frame appeal to these gentlemen.
    2 of the above have gone back to steel. Hand made steel no less.
    However (and I say this with a smile), I have no idea what out of the normal pressures erm, how should I say it? - well built(?) riders put on a frameset (though I could imagine) and therefore, I don't know what they would want out of frame where they have experienced weaknesses out with normal ramge.
    Step is an XL (not weight wise) and he rides a Ti frame.
    HD is in the sane category IIRC, and he rides a Ti frame.

I dunno what @orraloon rides. He's a big chap.

Might start a straw poll in Road General...

• beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,533
    I'm what, 185 cm? Weight yo-yos between 82 (pre lock down) and 95 kg in January. I've had my frame (I hesitate to say bike, as not much is original), I think 9 years now. I've never knowingly ridden a cf frame. Steel years ago as a lad, Al alloy was my first return to riding back in 2012. That was shyte. Got rid.

Anyway, ti looks good, easily cleaned, doesn't rust or melt in the rain. Not that light though, but nor am I.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Planet X London Road frame set was about £500 in Ti last week, nearly bought one for when the green frame dies.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,613
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

tlw1 said:

pinno said:

I'm waiting for the 'which bike for £x?' in road buying advice thread and then paying silly money for the wrong thing as opposed to a classy bit of kit with a classy gruppo and the most fantastic wheels* for climbing those downs.

Some people.
    How about silver straws?

Still looks a bit 'snappy'. Mind you, when I do get a roadie bike I fancy something made of Ti.

In the first year with the Mapei team's boss fretting all night prior to the race with the C40's debut, he called Ernesto Colnago.
    Colnago had tested the thing to breaking point and Ernesto had to persuade the Mapei-Quick step boss that it was a safe option.
    The C40 was the winning bike - 3 in the top 10 were C40's. The following year, it was a 1st 2nd 3rd.

You could spend upwards of £3k on a new, modern bike and easily have something inferior to that C40.

They aren’t nice those cobbles
    Best do 'em on a mountain bike.
    ...and come last.
    But not have a sore arris.
    pinno said:

For the blatant, manipulative inclusion of the picture of shiny straw, I do apologise SG.

Have you sold it yet? The hard sell didn't work on me :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

pinno said:

Wot be you saying like?

;)
    Well B³, you haven't managed to snap your bike made of straws so therefore, Stevo would be quite safe on something not made of Ti.

As an aside, I have a few cycling friends over 6 foot 2 much.
    Few are content with CF frames, or at least, there are a few frames made of CF to which they are content with. Those being Giant (functional though soul less) and BMC.
    I think they can put excessive pressure (leverage) on frames in a way that smaller riders don't. Ti frame appeal to these gentlemen.
    2 of the above have gone back to steel. Hand made steel no less.
    However (and I say this with a smile), I have no idea what out of the normal pressures erm, how should I say it? - well built(?) riders put on a frameset (though I could imagine) and therefore, I don't know what they would want out of frame where they have experienced weaknesses out with normal ramge.
    Step is an XL (not weight wise) and he rides a Ti frame.
    HD is in the sane category IIRC, and he rides a Ti frame.

I dunno what @orraloon rides. He's a big chap.

Might start a straw poll in Road General...

All I said was I fancied a Ti bike. What have I started? :) Even Champagne Charlie joined in :smiley:
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

tlw1 said:

pinno said:

Some people.
    How about silver straws?

How about durability, looks good in the raw/unpainted state (with a choice of finishings), allegedly good ride?

Tbh yours looks too low for my poor old back and it's probably got Campy on it....
  • Stevo_666

Planet X London Road frame set was about £500 in Ti last week, nearly bought one for when the green frame dies.

The PX Hurricane is one I'm looking at.
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

tlw1 said:

pinno said:

Some people.
    How about silver straws?

How about durability, looks good in the raw/unpainted state (with a choice of finishings), allegedly good ride?

Tbh yours looks too low for my poor old back and it's probably got Campy on it....
    I raised the saddle for photogenic reasons. It's about 50mm higher than when I rode it.
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

tlw1 said:

pinno said:

Some people.
    How about silver straws?

I raised the saddle for photogenic reasons. It's about 50mm higher than when I rode it.
    OK. What about the Campy problem though?
  • pinno
    Campy problem?!
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Campy problem?!

It's not SRAM. I like SRAM.
  • pinno
    The Campagnolo Ultra Shift is one of the slickest gear changes you could want.
    One click for up and you can change down multiple gears at a time if you wanted to.
    Plus - the chainset is a 34/50 and a 12-27 cassette at the back makes it ideal for those Downs.
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

The Campagnolo Ultra Shift is one of the slickest gear changes you could want.
    One click for up and you can change down multiple gears at a time if you wanted to.
    Plus - the chainset is a 34/50 and a 12-27 cassette at the back makes it ideal for those Downs.

The double tap works for me - only one lever (prefer that to Shimano) and multiple downshifts available. I'd probably want more than a 27 cog at the back to escape from the valley!