Giro 2022 - Stage 19: Marano Lagunare – Santuario di Castelmonte 178 km ***Spoilers***

124»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588

Pross said:

Watching it back, he should lose that.

Nah, there was never space to go up the inside on a bend like that.

You'd get grief coming up the inside like that on entry to a tight corner in a 4th cat crit. The racing line around that sort of bend is across the apex.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    RichN95. said:

To be fair to Hindley, I don't think anyone had him down as a big contender at the beginning of the race. Kelderman is supposed to be Bora's leader with Buchmann also possibly ahead of him in the pre-race pecking order.

According to your post before the start he was 50/1. Excellent odds with hindsight given the lack of TT.
    RichN95. said:

These are the bookies' odds

11/8 Carapaz
    11/2 Almeida
    6/1 Yates
    8/1 Landa
    10/1 Lopez, Bardet
    20/1 Dumoulin, Buchmann
    22/1Kelderman
    25/1 Bilbao
    33/1 Porte
    40/1 Sosa, Foss, Carthy
    50/1 Sivalov, Hindley, Ciccone

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Watching it back, he should lose that.

Nah, there was never space to go up the inside on a bend like that.

You'd get grief coming up the inside like that on entry to a tight corner in a 4th cat crit. The racing line around that sort of bend is across the apex.
    I don't think I understand what you mean by "coming up the inside". He was on the inside and in front when Bouwan launched the sprint with 200m, then got half overtaken and cut up twice.

I guess that's fair in a finish like that.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    McEwen explained it better than me in commentary earlier. Basically the guy in front has earned the right to take his preferred line around a bend. Add to that I'm not convinced Schmid was making it around that corner without drifting wide into the others at that speed with the line he was taking.