Giro 2022 - Stage 19: Marano Lagunare – Santuario di Castelmonte 178 km ***Spoilers***

Comments

• fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    Embarrassing finish!
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Aaaaaargh.
    That stage was the pits.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    That stage needed more MvdP
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    That was not a good stage.
  • davieb78
    davieb78 Posts: 97
    Dismal stage
  • mididoctors
    They can't drop each other
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,466
    Bowman chopped him on the corner. Should be a DQ
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    *sigh*
  • kingstongraham
    Watching it back, he should lose that.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    edited May 2022
    The only times there has been a time difference between Carapaz and Hindley was the TT and when there was a peloton split at the end of stage 1

It's the exciting new generation ripping up the rule book.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • phreak
    *sigh*
    RichN95. said:

The only times there has been a time difference between Carapaz and Hindley was the TT and when there was a peloton split at the end of stage 1

I wonder where the "new and exciting" racing Ineos showed in the classics has gone to?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Poor stage design with that finale but Hindley's attacks - even on previous stages - are in such a small gear and so short lived he's never going to get a gap. The other two at least have had a go at times.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kingstongraham
    Really weird "tactics" from Bora. Seemed designed to wear themselves out and let Ineos shelter.

Hindley couldn't distance Geoghegan Hart two years ago, I think he's probably just playing the cards he has.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    phreak said:

*sigh*

RichN95. said:

I wonder where the "new and exciting" racing Ineos showed in the classics has gone to?
    Don't think Ineos need to display "new and exciting" tactics in this situation do they - isn't the onus on the other teams to do something? Although I am sure Carapaz would prefer a bigger lead.

Bora put the pressure on early but couldn't back it up in the end.

Didn't seem too bad given I was half watching it between meetings and other work, but I imagine it wasn't if you watched the whole thing. Might make an OK 30 mins highlights package...
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812

Poor stage design with that finale but Hindley's attacks - even on previous stages - are in such a small gear and so short lived he's never going to get a gap. The other two at least have had a go at times.

Hindley attacked?
    I must have blinked and missed that. ;)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    phreak said:

*sigh*

RichN95. said:

They've got the best rider back (in this race at least). So they've gone back to sensible racing
  • phreak

phreak said:

*sigh*

RichN95. said:

Don't think Ineos need to display "new and exciting" tactics in this situation do they - isn't the onus on the other teams to do something? Although I am sure Carapaz would prefer a bigger lead.

Bora put the pressure on early but couldn't back it up in the end.

Didn't seem too bad given I was half watching it between meetings and other work, but I imagine it wasn't if you watched the whole thing. Might make an OK 30 mins highlights package...
    I'd imagine they'd rather have a bit more of a lead than they currently have, just to allow for any eventualities or mishaps to happen.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,131
    Well that was a bit, er, underwhelming.....I hope tomorrow is better, but I'm not holding my breath.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490

Nah, there was never space to go up the inside on a bend like that.

So far in this race the best way to have some racing is to class it as a non-GC day. I think this also shows that really closely matched riders don't necessarily make for good racing. It is missing Almeida and his TT threat, I was quite enjoying his style of riding which is like in a horror film where the doomed teenagers run away from the psycho who keeps walking and eventually catches up with them.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    From a GC perspective this is just dull.... some nice scenery though.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,466
    They're still a load of second tier riders who don't know how to win.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,597
    Hindley must be pretty gutted to be in this position again. But probably no go in the pink jersey this time.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • kingstongraham
    Pross said:

• mididoctors
    Bora tried bringing it back but they just wasted a lot effort ... And everyone is on there knees ...
  • mididoctors

Really weird "tactics" from Bora. Seemed designed to wear themselves out and let Ineos shelter.

Hindley couldn't distance Geoghegan Hart two years ago, I think he's probably just playing the cards he has.

Seems so far
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    gsk82 said:

They're still a load of second tier riders who don't know how to win.

Carapaz does, and is in the hot seat.
    Up to the others to knock him off it.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mididoctors
    dabber said:

From a GC perspective this is just dull.... some nice scenery though.

Yet one of them will
  • RichN95.
    To be fair to Hindley, I don't think anyone had him down as a big contender at the beginning of the race. Kelderman is supposed to be Bora's leader with Buchmann also possibly ahead of him in the pre-race pecking order.
  • mididoctors

Pross said:

Whole thing reminds me of Sorenson putting Luc Leblanc into the barriers in the 96 tour at a very similar finish