Cracked carbon rims

gubber12345
gubber12345 Posts: 493
Are cracks or has been told to me joints normal on a set of carbon wheels...have seen similar marks on a set of zipp wheels but not sure what to think.
Any opinions or has anybody seen or had anything like this.

Lapierre Aircode 300
Merida

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Sorry but they look f*cked, I would be binning those.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Difficult to tell from the pics, but if they were cracked, then a crack of that size would be plainly obvious and you wouldn't need to be asking. My guess - in the absence of further evidence - is that those marks are simply part of the layup under the clear coat.

If those were cracks, then a crack of that size would be flexing under load and would probably have collapsed the wheel by now.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Yup. Second piccie looks like a huuuuuge crack.

Turn it into a clock.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • First picture looks like a join in the carbon.

Would agree the second looks like a massive crack, although as Imposter said, with a crack like that the wheel would likely be so obviously damaged, both from sight and touch, you would know straight off.

Definitely does appear to be knackered though.
  • racerex
    racerex Posts: 69
    Best case it’s just a mold mark, which would only indicate it’s some sort of cheap knockoff plastic wheel. Have you taken the tire off to see if the crack goes through? And why is there a hole drilled there? Toss ‘em either way, the risk of failure at speed is not worth finding out.
  • gubber12345
    racerex said:

Best case it’s just a mold mark, which would only indicate it’s some sort of cheap knockoff plastic wheel. Have you taken the tire off to see if the crack goes through? And why is there a hole drilled there? Toss ‘em either way, the risk of failure at speed is not worth finding out.

Wheels are brand new with about 500 miles on them...had the tyre off and it doesn't go all the way through its just on the outer faces of both wheels...hole is just a drainage hole usual thing on wheels.
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • gubber12345

Difficult to tell from the pics, but if they were cracked, then a crack of that size would be plainly obvious and you wouldn't need to be asking. My guess - in the absence of further evidence - is that those marks are simply part of the layup under the clear coat.

If those were cracks, then a crack of that size would be flexing under load and would probably have collapsed the wheel by now.

The marks are on both wheels and are completely smooth and no cracking of lacquer...was thinking it was just the lay up of the carbon and have done 500 kills on them but the big looking crack has me a bit scared of it tbh...have contacted the retailer about it and they have asked for them back for an inspection so see what happens then....although I won't ever have confidence in them if they don't/won't replace them
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    Carbon rims are not joined, it looks very weird, but if there is no damage in the lacquer, then it might be a features of the fibres. It certainly needs to be checked, it doesn’t look right
    left the forum March 2023
  • imposter2.0
    racerex said:

Those sort of marks are not uncommon on carbon layup, so it doesn’t necessarily indicate a ‘cheap knock off’- and drain holes are commonplace.

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195

Carbon rims are not joined, it looks very weird, but if there is no damage in the lacquer, then it might be a features of the fibres. It certainly needs to be checked, it doesn’t look right

Zipps tend to look like they are made of 4 pieces
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    This thread is a good example of why you need to beware what you read on the Internet.

Think about it. The outside layers are what go into the mold first. Someone with a poor manner of using scissors has cut the end off that first layer so it doesn't overlap and leave a lump. And that is all.

Please do not throw your wheels out or put them in the wood burning stove.
  • imposter2.0

although I won't ever have confidence in them if they don't/won't replace them

Why not? If there’s no issue with the wheels, then what’s the problem? You said yourself you’ve already done 500 miles on them. If they were cracked as you originally suggested, they would have failed catastrophically ages ago.

Google some pics of ‘carbon layups under clearcoat’ and then carry on riding.

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    That sticker should hold it together anyway.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Yeah, it seems a case of "it looks ugly" but it is structurally sound. I would still get it checked by the retailer and if possible replaced... ultimately these will be impossible to resell, should you wish to. Ultimately, when you spend that kind of money, things not only have to be right, but they also have to look right... you wouldn't buy a Porsche with a massive defect in the paintwork...
  • imposter2.0

you wouldn't buy a Porsche with a massive defect in the paintwork...

FFS, it’s not a ‘defect’, it’s simply how the carbon layers have been put together. If the OP gets a replacement set, they will probably look identical...

• ugo.santalucia

FFS, it’s not a ‘defect’, it’s simply how the carbon layers have been put together. If the OP gets a replacement set, they will probably look identical...

Do they all look like that? The bottom image doesn't look like a very well done laying job to be honest... I've seen a lot of Zipp rims in my days, and none of them looked like that... things must have gone downhill in Indiana if this is the standard...
  • ugo.santalucia
    For comparison, these also are Zipp wheels for disc brakes and don't look like that

• I've seen a lot of Zipp rims in my days, and none of them looked like that

I might be mistaken, but I don't think the OP's wheels are actually Zipp, he just said that he had seen similar marking on Zipp wheels.
  • ugo.santalucia

I've seen a lot of Zipp rims in my days, and none of them looked like that

I might be mistaken, but I don't think the OP's wheels are actually Zipp, he just said that he had seen similar marking on Zipp wheels.
    My mistake...
  • imposter2.0

For comparison, these also are Zipp wheels for disc brakes and don't look like that

As above - nobody has said the OP's wheels are Zipps.

• ugo.santalucia

yes, reading the post again, it looks that way... it would have been more helpful if the OP mentioned the wheels brand
  • imposter2.0

yes, reading the post again, it looks that way... it would have been more helpful if the OP mentioned the wheels brand
    That would certainly have been useful. It would also have been useful to be able to google pics of the same wheels in order to establish if they all look like that, or not...
  • trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 416
    edited May 2022
    racerex said:

Wheels have holes like that to allow water /mousture build up out as the wheel spins
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    In the first pic the line is straight, 2nd pic the line looks like a fracture. I'm not a materials scientist but any owners of carbon rims amongst you have similar markings or your expensive or 'cheap' carbon rims?
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253

Ok. You buy an expensive car with the carbon bodywork or interior. Would you be happy with that line running down the spoiler or bonnet?
  • imposter2.0
    amrushton said:

Ok. You buy an expensive car with the carbon bodywork or interior. Would you be happy with that line running down the spoiler or bonnet?
    Seriously - have you never seen pics of different types of carbon layup? If the finish is raw carbon (ie clear gel coat), that's what it can look like. If you don't want to see the carbon weave or the layup, then go for a painted or colour gelcoat finish...
  • First.Aspect
    amrushton said:

Probably not. But if I bought a Dacia i might be more phlegmatic about it.
  • trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 416
    Wether it's a crack or normal a high end set of wheels shouldn't look like that ,saying it looks terrible is an understatement
  • First.Aspect
    Well he's nearly 1000km into them already so I think the cosmetic complaints return option has now passed.
  • imposter2.0

Wether it's a crack or normal a high end set of wheels shouldn't look like that ,saying it looks terrible is an understatement

The OP has not stated the make or value of the wheels - so we don't know whether they are 'high-end' or otherwise.

And if that's how the wheels look out of the box, then that is indeed what they 'should' look like. Aesthetics are not the issue here.