Giro 2022 - Stage 17: Ponte di Legno – Lavarone 168 km ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 22,392
Stage 17: Ponte di Legno – Lavarone 168 km
Wednesday, May 25th, 11:30 BST

Stage 17 and another 4 col mountain stage, this time over 168kms. It starts by going immediately uphill, before 70 kms of mostly downhill. It's followed by 40kms of constantly rolling terrain, before hitting the big finishing climbs. Another finish after a downhill, albeit short.

Ponte di Legno saw its last stage finish three editions ago. At the end of a hard race in freezing, wet weather Giulio Ciccone outsprinted Jan Hirt on the line. After the Passo del Tonale, they continue through the Val di Sole and the Val di Non. After crossing the Adige, the route ascends to Palù di Giovo, passing through the Valle dei Mocheni and reaching Pergine Valsugana to tackle the two closing climbs. The Giro drops down to Caldanazo. After the Menador the route continues to climb at shallow gradients for a few kilometres before a descent leads to the slightly uphill home straight at Lavarone.

The Climbs:

Passo del Tonale: 8.7 km at 6.4%

Giovo: GPM3, 5.9 km at 6.8%

Passo del Vetriolo: GPM1, 11.8 km at 7.7%

Monte Rovere: GPM1, 7.9 km at 9.9%
Never used before in the Giro and constructed by the Austrian military.

Final kms
After the KOM and a short descent, the route goes up again, until the -4 km marker, and then drops down once more on wide track. The final 700 metres run on a slight incline. The finish sits on tarmac.

What to expect:
With an unofficial rest day to follow and opportunities running out, this stage looks ripe for a pink battle and no doubt that blue jersey candidates will also fight it, most likely from a doomed break.

Favourites 17th stage 2022 Giro d’Italia

***** Richard Carapaz Jai Hindley
**** Simon Yates, Mikel Landa
*** Joao Almeida, Domenico Pozzovivo
** Emmanuel Buchmann, Wilco Kelderman, Hugh Carthy, Pello Bilbao, Rein Taramaae
* Giulio Ciccone, Bauke Mollema, Koen Bouwman, Lennard Kämna, Alessandro de Marchi, Thomas de Gendt

Ponte di Legno

Ponte di Legno nestles in the mountains that surround the area, which are majestic and extraordinary in every season. The town's name is now closely connected to Passo Tonale, that links Lombardia and Trentino. Parts of Stelvio National Park and Adamello National Park are located here and offer an extremely rich nature in fauna and flora.

Gnoc de la Cua is the most famous dish in Valle Camonica, which is a type of gnocchi made of wild spinach, eggs, flour and bread soaked in milk. Then, they have to be boiled and seasoned with “sfrisida”, which is mix of sauteed onions, sage and butter and a dressed with a generous quantity of Silter and Case di Viso cheese on top.

Calsù is the name of a special kind of ravioli of Valle Camonica. The filling of these ravioli changes from village to village, in some cases the filling is made only with vegetables, in others with meat and vegetables together. The seasoning is the same for any type of Calsù: sauteed butter and sage.

Lavarone

The small villages scattered throughout the Alpe Cimbra of Folgaria, Lavarone, Lusérn and Vigolana have been able to resist modernity, maintaining the conformation of mountain farms, keeping the secret of the ancient arts, crafts and flavours of the Cimbrian tradition. The symbols of Lavarone are: its lake, Blue Flag for years, and the Fortress of the First World War Belvedere/Gschwent, now a museum. And the Drago Vaia, a work of land art of international interest.

Beverages

Even in the glasses you can taste the authentic scent of Alpe Cimbra. From grappa to beer, from juices to fruit infusions, the authenticity of our mountain is also to drink! The numerous local productions are specialized in picking berries. The fruits are processed as in the old times to preserve the taste and quality. Our farmers employ ancient techniques to obtain natural apple and pear juices.

In addition to juices, we have other local excellences including beer, wine, grappa and rum. The Barbaforte brewery, in Folgaria, has been awarded several prizes. It produces a beer full of complex aromas by using top quality products, by carefully choosing the water, never filtering, never pasteurizing and just adding hops.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,379
    edited May 2022
    When there was a start with a profile like this a few years ago, someone "unfortunately" had a mechanical that meant the peloton wasn't together at km0, and they didn't race the first climb at all. Hope that doesn't happen again. Start was down by garda, if I remember correctly.
  • blazing_saddles
    The all important weather forecast. (but obviously the tops of the cols could be very different)

• blazing_saddles

When there was a start with a profile like this a few years ago, someone "unfortunately" had a mechanical that meant the peloton wasn't together at km0, and they didn't race the first climb at all. Hope that doesn't happen again. Start was down by garda, if I remember correctly.

Given that weather forecast, imagine the descent if that did happen and we have no breakaway.
    Might well end up having to neutralise the first 50kms.
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    The Gnoc de la Cua looks absolutely delicious.

Love the overview posts of the stage and the region. Thanks.
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397

The Gnoc de la Cua looks absolutely delicious.

Love the overview posts of the stage and the region. Thanks.

Logged on to say exactly the same thing - thanks to Blazing for that intro! Do you work for the Italian tourist board?!! I want to go there right now. That Gnoc looks so tasty.

• kingstongraham

Given that weather forecast, imagine the descent if that did happen and we have no breakaway.
    Might well end up having to neutralise the first 50kms.
    I just remembered I've done the first 40km of this, straight after breakfast in the pissing rain. That descent is no problem, not even vaguely technical. But horrible if you are cold and wet and not wearing enough clothing.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,938

That looks fantastic!
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,422

That has happened suspiciously a few times on up hill starts in GTS
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • kingstongraham

That one I remembered was stage 17 in the 2018 giro - Bennett was hanging around the front and Quickstep didn't want him to get into a break over the first climb. Viviani won the stage.

I can't see any sprinters wanting to keep it together for the same reason today.
  • blazing_saddles

That one I remembered was stage 17 in the 2018 giro - Bennett was hanging around the front and Quickstep didn't want him to get into a break over the first climb. Viviani won the stage.

I can't see any sprinters wanting to keep it together for the same reason today.
    No, but if they can have an "easy" trip up the Tonale, they don't have to form a bus until the half way mark of the stage.
    3000 metres of the 3700 metres of the total climbing are packed into the last 80kms of the stage.

Mass mechanicals coming up!
  • mididoctors
    race director holds them at km 0 would be the solution. not a popular move i suspect
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    They haven't waited for the neutralised start to have problems. A number of teams have been delayed getting to the start by a truck blocking the road.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,227
    It's days like to day that you look out the window and decide perhaps riding a bike isn't the best option in the world....
    Rather them than me :)
  • blazing_saddles
    We’re off without any problems.
    The roll out was hard enough
  • mididoctors
    all the usual suspects getting up front
  • blazing_saddles
    Arensman and Carthy off the front again
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,196

MvdP?
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,146

MvdP?
    In the chase group at 30 seconds.
  • blazing_saddles
    Bora employing more conventional tactics today.
    Probably because the literally isn’t a metre of flat in the second half of the stage
  • DeadCalm
    Just as they list the riders in the break, they cut to a split screen which is completely unreadable on my phone.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,227
    edited May 2022
    In the break:

GALL Felix
    PRODHOMME Nicolas
    VAN DER POEL Mathieu
    BUITRAGO Santiago
    ZANA Filippo
    COVILI Luca
    MARTIN Guillaume
    RAVANELLI Simone
    CARTHY Hugh
    CAMARGO Diego Andrés
    FORTUNATO Lorenzo
    VALTER Attila
    HIRT Jan
    TAARAMÄE Rein
    BOUWMAN Koen
    LEEMREIZE Gijs
    OOMEN Sam
    PEDRERO Antonio
    VANSEVENANT Mauri
    HOWSON Damien
    ARENSMAN Thymen
    CICCONE Giulio
    COVI Alessandro
  • DeadCalm
    Hirt the best placed on GC?
  • kingstongraham
    DeadCalm said:

Yes, 9th at 7:42. Arensman next at 10:23.
  • mididoctors
    DeadCalm said:

yes i think so
  • mididoctors
    Camargo cant help much...looks a bit out of his depth. made the break i guess
  • mididoctors
    hirt is a bit of an anchor?
  • blazing_saddles

Seems to be.

Less than 20kms to where the character of this stage changes completely….
  • DeadCalm

Think the break is doomed anyway.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm said:

Think the break is doomed anyway.
    I type that and the gap shoots up to 4:30 in no time at all.
  • blazing_saddles
    Mate of McEwen’s reckons the last 4kms of today’s final climb makes the Mortirolo look like a speed bump.