Giro 2022 - Stage 6: Palmi – Scalea 192 km ***Spoilers***

13»

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    ddraver said:

ddraver said:

ddraver said:

For the first time English language Cycling Content has the best sprinter of the previous generation. Why are they not using him during the live coverage? I like the Blythe McEwan Sky Sports post-match analysis, but it's not the best use of his skillz.

Millar calling a sprint live is one of the best things in Sport to watch. Why are ES doing this to themselves?!

McEwan was commentating earlier on, along with Blythe - they switched over to Hatch and Kelly so that Blythe could go get ready for the breakaway. Not sure if McEwan was on that too.
    well exactly!
    I guess the trade off is whether you want those two on the Breakaway doing the analysis or commentating on the finale...
    He was on the call today.

They must be reading! 😀
    Yeah and on the breakaway right after - I guess they figured there would not be much of interest early in the stage for them to prep so it made sense to go straight from the finish into the analysis.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391

Cav & Morkov too early (a rare miss by QS)

Caleb and Demare perfect

Arnaud with longer fingertips

Girmay not really able to compete with the pure fastmen. Needs a hill at the end (tho that brings back a certain MvdP)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091

Ewan was certainly celebrating.

Cav went too early I think, he came off Morkov's wheel too soon from what I could tell.

I've not seen replays - I had to go out straight after the finish as I was already running late - but my impression was that QS's issues started further downstream - Morkov had to lead out too early because of some of the bumping and changing, which meant that Cavendish also had to jump early because Morkov was running out of steam.

There was a moment in the head on when you can clearly see Cavendish realising he simply can't keep the pace up for the necessary 50m further, though he tries to dig deep.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Yeah, I agree with LR

It was a balls up by QS. (To be fair, caused by other teams and riders doing very well.)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100

Cav went too early I think, he came off Morkov's wheel too soon from what I could tell.

I've not seen replays - I had to go out straight after the finish as I was already running late - but my impression was that QS's issues started further downstream - Morkov had to lead out too early because of some of the bumping and changing, which meant that Cavendish also had to jump early because Morkov was running out of steam.

There was a moment in the head on when you can clearly see Cavendish realising he simply can't keep the pace up for the necessary 50m further, though he tries to dig deep.
    The very good analysis on the Breakdown clearly showed a Cofidis rider coming across and effectively taking out Cav's penultimate leadout man, leaving Morkov with simply too much to do. Not much they really could have done about it.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    Talking of taking out.....

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Yeah, I agree, they lost the penultimate leadout man too soon as another rider (lotto?) came across the front as they eased up. But that meant Cav had to go too early... Even Morkov can't do everything!