Giro 2022 - Stage 6: Palmi – Scalea 192 km ***Spoilers***

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    It's going to be very fast
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    edited May 2022

Wish I could roll along like that at 36.3 km/h.

On that road you could sit in . Might find it stressful ..
    Yeah you almost certainly could if you are a decent club rider, although this last bit might be too much!

Whenever we see average power figures for these kind of stages they're surprisingly low. Obviously, this end bit is another matter. I think I would sh!t myself in a bunch this big at that speed, even if I had the power to hang on for a couple of minutes.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,754
    wow
  • mididoctors
    Who got there
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    That was close
  • kingstongraham
    I thought Demare on first look
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,478
    oooff!
  • mididoctors
    Demare
  • bobmcstuff
    I thought Ewan had that... But apparently Demare - Ewan - Cav
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,478
    think Demare just came through
  • kingstongraham
    He must have been fastest by a looong way.
  • bobmcstuff
    Ewan was certainly celebrating.

Cav went too early I think, he came off Morkov's wheel too soon from what I could tell.
  • bobmcstuff
    Yeah - Cav led it out, then Demare and Ewan come round him.

It's not even that clear Demare had it in the side on IMO, although he was coming up very, very fast.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,515
    Ewan is one of the few riders who gets a benefit in Cav's wheel.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    Hmmm, that photo they showed is inconclusive......And again they take too long to show a replay. We'd have had 4-5 replays if that was horse racing.....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • kingstongraham
    edited May 2022
    Demare in so much trouble 200m from the line. Very impressive - and lucky that Girmay couldn't keep up when left in the wind and left a gap for him to take.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700
    Boy am I happy I had to miss this stage.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,599
    Phew!
  • kingstongraham
    Gaviria's bike seemed to go out of his control again. No wonder he wasn't happy with it after yesterday's stage.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,958

Gaviria's bike seemed to go out of his control again. No wonder he wasn't happy with it after yesterday's stage.

Nobody explained to him that violence is not the solution?
    #bikeabuse
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,958
    😉😉😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bobmcstuff

Wish I could roll along like that at 36.3 km/h.

On that road you could sit in . Might find it stressful ..
    Yeah you almost certainly could if you are a decent club rider, although this last bit might be too much!

Whenever we see average power figures for these kind of stages they're surprisingly low. Obviously, this end bit is another matter. I think I would sh!t myself in a bunch this big at that speed, even if I had the power to hang on for a couple of minutes.
    Dowsett averaged 155 watts for 5 hours today which is well within my capabilities. 213 normalised which would be a bit harder but still achievable. Obviously assuming I could ride in a peloton like that which I can't. The last 10-15km looks like it was pretty hard though, and the last 3 minutes was 460 watts which I certainly can't do! (my record seems to be 376).

Dombrowski also 155 but lower normalised, 195, I guess he wasn't as involved in the leadout.

I think most competent riders could have sat in today for most of the day, except if there had been a fight for the break and definitely the run in to the finish.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,599
    Where was Cav?
  • Where was Cav?

3rd

• bobmcstuff

Where was Cav?

3rd. He went too early and led the other 2 out.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,533
    I was starting to get worried Nibali would be retired before they finished that stage

Good sprint though
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    In actual speed cav caleb and demare are well matched
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660

ddraver said:

ddraver said:

For the first time English language Cycling Content has the best sprinter of the previous generation. Why are they not using him during the live coverage? I like the Blythe McEwan Sky Sports post-match analysis, but it's not the best use of his skillz.

Millar calling a sprint live is one of the best things in Sport to watch. Why are ES doing this to themselves?!

McEwan was commentating earlier on, along with Blythe - they switched over to Hatch and Kelly so that Blythe could go get ready for the breakaway. Not sure if McEwan was on that too.
    well exactly!
    I guess the trade off is whether you want those two on the Breakaway doing the analysis or commentating on the finale...
    He was on the call today.

They must be reading! 😀
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver