Some beginner questions

13»

Comments

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-essential-torque-wrench-set-1

Is the one I have. Probably more critical on Carbon Fibre parts but still fairly important on all others.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157

Been watching a few videos on changing / inverting the stem.. Most talk about using a torque wrench to correctly tighten the bolts.

Is this really necessary as they seem to be fairly expensive...?

I've got one but rarely use it as I don't have much carbon.
    Nice to have but unnecessary unless you are Popeye.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,936
    edited May 2022
    I never used a torque wrench until I had carbon bars and stem, and plenty of people even with those items still do not use a torque wrench.

Do you know what your bars and stem are made of?

Personally, I think the most important part of doing up stem bolts onto the steerer, is to do them up evenly, switching between the bolts.

Likewise when securing to the handlebar, ensure the gap is even all around, and you work your way around the 4 bolts in one direction, nudging them tighter as you go, and keeping an eye on the gap.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,488
    With regard to your lower back, I suspect this may in part be due to being new to it all.
    However, so you do any stretching / mobility work off the bike? If not, then do so as that will help. A 15-20 minutes routing 2/3 times a week. Plenty of videos on strecthing and yoga for cyclists.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

Been watching a few videos on changing / inverting the stem.. Most talk about using a torque wrench to correctly tighten the bolts.

its s v good habit to get into snd no resl need for any of yhst jazz when a Ritchey tourque key is perfect for stems, 'bars, sest post clamps....

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,488
    MattFalle said:

its s v good habit to get into snd no resl need for any of yhst jazz when a Ritchey tourque key is perfect for stems, 'bars, sest post clamps....

Think you need to sort your dyslexic fingers out and put this into English! B)
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

Think you need to sort your dyslexic fingers out and put this into English! B)
    its a v good habit to get into and no real need for any of that jazz when a Ritchey tourque key is perfect fot stems, 'bars, seat post clamps......

or at least I think that it what it says....
  • daniel_b said:

I never used a torque wrench until I had carbon bars and stem, and plenty of people even with those items still do not use a torque wrench.

Personally, I think the most important part of doing up stem bolts onto the steerer, is to do them up evenly, switching between the bolts.

Likewise when securing to the handlebar, ensure the gap is even all around, and you work your way around the 4 bolts in one direction, nudging them tighter as you go, and keeping an eye on the gap.

Handlebars
    Boardman black alloy, 120mm drop, 75mm reach, Width: S - 400mm, M - 420mm, L/XL - 440mm

Think the only carbon on my bike is the forks...
  • MattFalle

daniel_b said:

Handlebars
    Boardman black alloy, 120mm drop, 75mm reach, Width: S - 400mm, M - 420mm, L/XL - 440mm

Think the only carbon on my bike is the forks...
    doesn't matter - on stems you need to do everything up nicely and evenly so you don't go snapping face plates and getting dead disease or stripping threads.