Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited April 2022
    andyrr said:

MattFalle said:

Pidcock 200km fuel tank

refer to posts passim....
    Yawn. Considering that he was involved in that big crash to get back into the action seemed a fair performance, no?
    Piddock, rider with a limited, 200km fuel tank, somehow finished 6th in the 2021 Worlds RR (268.3kms), and 2nd, by a hair, at the 2021 Amstel Gold (218.6kms)
    #blindjingoism

he just can't cut the mustard at this level save for a couple of luck results a year sgo and isn't isn't even counted as a potential.

lets see what other 22 year olds have done today shall we....
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Pidcock will win loads of races
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • MattFalle

yes, of course he will - the biggest races, the best races, only the grandest races. no one will win like him. winningest Tom ever he'll be.

anyway, back onto the 22 year old who won today....
  • mididoctors
    MattFalle said:

yes, of course he will - the biggest races, the best races, only the grandest races. no one will win like him. winningest Tom ever he'll be.

Flash in the pan ... got lucky that's all
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    I 'm a bad man
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    edited April 2022
    MattFalle said:

If some people’s attitude to Tom P is jingoistic, how exactly would you describe the accolades bestowed on Evenepoel who’d won nothing but a couple of chippers before today? Plus half the race got taken out by a crash and WvA was so out of sorts he was beaten in a sprint by Hermans…!
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Alaphilipe pretty banged up. 2 broken ribs, shoulder blade , collapsed lung. Now stable in hospital.
  • MattFalle

Alaphilipe pretty banged up. 2 broken ribs, shoulder blade , collapsed lung. Now stable in hospital.

ffs. poor bloke.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,614

Aye, not good to see that. When Bardet went climbing down into that ditch... bad news. Get back on it as soon as JA.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    orraloon said:

Aye, not good to see that. When Bardet went climbing down into that ditch... bad news. Get back on it as soon as JA.
    I've not watched but that sounds like is deserving of respect.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Don't need to understand French to see how worried Bardet was about JA...

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    edited April 2022
    Any chasing group with Valverde in it will usually not make the catch. He is utterly destructive in his riding. He will usually not contribute which gets the others frustrated to no longer work. Not really finding fault, because he traditionally had the strongest sprint by far among climbers, so the case can be made for him to save it for the sprint. He also seems to be much more content with coming second or third than other great champions of which he is one, which again ties into his unwillingness to work and sprint for second.
    You could call it negative racing, but his consistent results are borne from this.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    ddraver said:

Don't need to understand French to see how worried Bardet was about JA...

Think he says crash happened when they were doing 80kmh, Alaphilippe wasn't moving, and the cars couldn't get through for four or five minutes because there were people and bikes all over the road. Reminded him of William Bonnet in the tour de france.
  • mididoctors
    I 'm a bad man

Accidents are not more common but they do seem more severe these days
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Probably not. We probably just learn about the details more.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Bardet must have had the strangest range of emotions in the last few days. He looks so distressed in this video. He showed great humanity today.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Alaphillippe with 2 broken ribs, shoulder blade, and collapsed lung apparently. Ouch...

Presumably he was QS #1 rider?

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    QS would probably have sent Remco from

Alaphillippe with 2 broken ribs, shoulder blade, and collapsed lung apparently. Ouch...

Presumably he was QS #1 rider?

QS would probably have let Remco off the leash in exactly the same way anyway, with Alaphilipe sitting in the wheels to attack on the last climb
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    m.r.m. said:

Any chasing group with Valverde in it will usually not make the catch. He is utterly destructive in his riding. He will usually not contribute which gets the others frustrated to no longer work. Not really finding fault, because he traditionally had the strongest sprint by far among climbers, so the case can be made for him to save it for the sprint. He also seems to be much more content with coming second or third than other great champions of which he is one, which again ties into his unwillingness to work and sprint for second.
    You could call it negative racing, but his consistent results are borne from this.

After the big crash, Valverde's chasing group made the catch and that time everybody else happily sat behind the Movistar duo.
    The group of favourites were all playing the same, "keep my nose out of the wind", game. They were all running pretty much on empty.
    WVA is much more of an anchor these days.

So it's a bit harsh pointing the finger at the guy who finished 6th in their group sprint, for the failure to make the catch.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    bm5 said:

Bardet must have had the strangest range of emotions in the last few days. He looks so distressed in this video. He showed great humanity today.

Agreed. I think Bardet comes out of this really well. Much respect to him.
    Just hope JA can make a good and speedy recovery.

“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    edited April 2022
    You sort of get the feeling Evenepoel is always going to have to win this way, don't you think?

Something about him reminds me of Devolder.

If he wants to maximise his chances of winning he really needs to be on a team who have THE fast finisher for the races he can win.

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited April 2022

You sort of get the feeling Evenepoel is always going to have to win this way, don't you think?

If he wants to maximise his chances of winning he really needs to be on a team who have THE fast finisher for the races he can win.

I agree. Also if yesterday it had been Pogacar or Roglic on his wheel rather than Nelson Powless, I don't think any of that happens. Teams being half wiped out by the crash helped him too. A lot of better riders than Powless were out of position.

That said, they all dropped the ball on the descent of La Redoute where they all seemed too casual.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132

When he can't win like that, he's a pretty good lead out.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

He's still young. Might not have that much of a sprint now but certainly showed a hefty acceleration over the top there, he's got potential to improve his finishing.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513

Can't he model himself on Cancellara? Noting that he has just won something that Cancellara didn't.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245

Can't he model himself on Cancellara? Noting that he has just won something that Cancellara didn't.
    Canc was a decent finisher after 2009, faster than Remco.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513

Canc was a decent finisher after 2009, faster than Remco.
    He had a reasonable kick, but most of the wins I remember he was alone when he crossed the line.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    To be fair to him, he didn't have any fast finisher on the team by the time he attacked, it was just that the fast finishers didn't have a lot of help with them. Any decent sprinter is an anchor in the chasing group, unless they've got numbers
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099

But way better, no?

I'm still looking forward to seeing what happens when he makes an effort to lose weight, as he surely will. PCS reckons he's 171cm and 64kg. That's not fat, but there's scope for losing at least 7kg without being underweight.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet