Training in the extreme heat

Possibly a silly question but I've seen many others doing it. I'm missing the May trip with the club to Majorca in May but will be there in August for 12 days with an understanding Mrs. If it possible to ride in August, people suggest mornings but my planned rides will take me until at least early afternoon. Short rides aren't really an option based on where I'm staying.

Comments

• There is an element of personal physiology to it, some people can manage comfortabltly and others really struggle, as with any extreme of temp or conditions.

That aside, it's just a question of being sensible. Pace yourself and stay properly hydrated. I think a lot of cyclists may underestimate how much you need to drink in hot weather. Anything above 30 degrees and I would personally be drinking 2-3 bidons per hour.

Also, take a break in the shade if possible, 5mins every 45mins to an hour or so.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    My first exposure to hot, sunny cycling was Fuerta Ventura in Ocober a few years ago. It was hotter than a normal October and I found myself on a group ride in up to 36 degrees and loved it. You warm up quicker and, generally, don't really cool down when you stop so starting again after a coffee is easier.

High factor SPF (P20 is the best in my opinion) and lots of water.

Since then I've cycled in 30+ degrees in the alps, Fance, Mallorca, mainland Spain, Bahrain and Vietnam.

The only time i was defeated was in Bordeaux when, after 10 miles in 42 degrees, I had to call for help and my wife came and picked me up.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Try and acclimatise before going out - that'll be easier if we have a heat wave but you could try wearing more kit on rides and putting your central heating on for a few days.

My only real experience of 30+ heat day after day has been trips tothe South of France. It takes me 1-2 days to get used to it - I remember one ride feeling really bad and out of ten of us I was dead last on some climbs - barely able to keep going. By the end of the week out of that 10 or so that rode the Marmotte I finished second - but if I hadn't had a week to get used to the temperatures I doubt I'd have finished at all.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • WGD
    WGD Posts: 12
    edited April 2022
    From my experience riding in warmer temps towards 30 and above in the south of France is to start early and warm up with the day. Whilst you still need to be aware of replacing fluids and salts I feel far less physically drained by the heat if I start in the morning and the temperature gradually rises rather than if I try and get out when it is already hot. Generally I had far less of a problem with the heat than I thought I would before I went riding in it and I think you’d surprise yourself.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    as others say, you must stay hydrated, don't wait util you feel thirsty, a coke/similar is a good alternative to eating when it gets really hot and food can be unpalatable

fwiw in lanzarote last year after a cool start for a couple of hours, the calima arrived, it's like riding into an oven, mostly around 40 for the next 5 hours, it was 45 at the top of the biggest climb which i did twice (i knew there was a cafe at the top to have a cold coke and fill bidon with ice water, bliss), i was drinking around a litre an hour, more for the really hot climbs

if you're not used to riding in the heat, take a few days to get acclimatised, if you are fit and healthy it shouldn't be a problem
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    edited April 2022
    Unless we have a freak UK heatwave, some regular turbo rides between now and August will help with heat adaption, mixing up duration and efforts and amount of fan power.

They don't need to be huge turbo sessions, especially if more intense sessions. You could simply join a ~10 mile Zwift TT, or do a workout such as https://whatsonzwift.com/workouts/less-than-30-minutes-to-burn/emilys-short-mix

The amount of liquid you will feel the need to consume during those first few weeks indoors on z4+ sessions might well be shocking, I could easily get through the best part of two 750ml bidons in early Jan, while outdoors in the past couple of weeks at approx 15C one bidon can last me up to ~2 hours.

Personally, with approx 3+ weekly sessions of z4+ turbo sessions of 20mins+ after the "outdoor season," my indoor heart rate for z4+ power will lower to practically match outdoors (and so indoor power will practically match outdoors) within three weeks.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I was pondering this today whilst walking the dogs before it got too hot.

Do turbo sessions acclimatise you to training in hot weather if the rest of the time you are living in a more moderate climate. I've been doing a lot on zwift - planning a ride this evening when it's still going to be 30,degrees plus so time will tell.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    took the hound out at 6:30. Perfect.

decided to zwift and not ride outside as I thought it may be safer than dying of hot diease - got 13km on the clock and had to pour myself out of the gym into the shower.

utterly stupid hot.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    It is probably as hot in the UK as the south of France. It is currently 35C in Grenoble, maybe a bit hotter in the city center. I rode home the 13km from work at noon (so gmt+2) and it was ok but I wouldn't want to ride this afternoon. I could probably manage an hour but I wouldn't push it too hard in those temperatures. YMMV.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • As few years back I rode in Italy during a heatwave, it was over 40 degrees for the four day trip which included Stelvio, Gavia and various other passes. I have to say it wasn't too bad, staying hydrated and taking each climb at a pace well under threshold made a big difference, shortening rides to around 70-80km rather than big 120-30km days was also necessary.

I wouldn't choose to ride in those conditions but given how the trip was booked and couldn't be cancelled, didn't have much choice other than to make the best of it.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266
    It's about 36 here now, and not getting hotter. Am I an idiot for considering going for a spin around Richmond Park?
  • MattFalle
    tbh dude, you're an adult so its your decision.

a lot of us have ridden in that temp and are still here so really if you think its ok - and only you know what you can and can't do best - then go for it/don't do it as the case may be.

• kingstongraham
    It's possible to be an idiot and not realise it, was only checking.

It's top end of what's enjoyable to cycle in, but I do love cycling in the warm.
  • MattFalle
    one man's idiot is another man's genius.....
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    You could do a Tom Pidcock stage 15 and jump in a fountain to cool off? 😎
  • kingstongraham
    Today is roasting hot already compared to yesterday.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    edited July 2022

I was pondering this today whilst walking the dogs before it got too hot.

Do turbo sessions acclimatise you to training in hot weather if the rest of the time you are living in a more moderate climate. I've been doing a lot on zwift - planning a ride this evening when it's still going to be 30,degrees plus so time will tell.

They should certainly help, but outdoors you also have to deal with extra heat being radiated off the likes of tarmac and buildings. It's been a while since I've checked the room temp while doing a turbo session, especially a z4+ workout or race, so how warm it would be compared to the current ~28C+ in the shade. So a bit of an unknown as to what temp the turbo session is acclimitising you to.

The biggest issue for me, is the lack of a training team to follow me on outdoor rides to provide fresh bidons of fluid. I barely managed to make 1.5l last four hours on 9th July on a 54% "intensity" ride, leaving at ~24C and ~29C as I approached home. Only been dabbling in turbo rides for at least a couple of months.

Back in the '18 heatwave I often went out with an extra Topeak cage mount, swapping out the bidons for ~1l old squash bottles.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

Back in the '18 heatwave I often went out with an extra Topeak cage mount, swapping out the bidons for ~1l old squash bottles.

750ml - 1ltr cycle-specific bottles are available. Not sure whether they are also available as 'bidons' though...