Setting up the right Heartratezones? Need Help

Hi everyone, I want to setup my Heartratezones for cycling based on max. Heartrate. Can someone help me to setuo right?

I would set based on Max Heartrate
Recovery 50-65%
Endurace 65-75%
Tempo 75-85%
Lactate Threshold 85-91%
Anerob 92-100%

What do you think?

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,497
    The first question I would have is this:
    Do you know what your MaxHR is? Have you tested it?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    As above. The zones look about right, but will be meaningless unless you have a real world, close approximation of your MHR, as opposed to the usual 220 nonsense...
  • nisieg1
    nisieg1 Posts: 4
    edited April 2022
    I ve did a performance test for running my max. HR is 194 bpm, Lactate Threshold 174bpm for running!

My current Running Zones----------Cycling Zone would be
    Zone1 123-137------------------------------97-125
    Zone2 138-151----------------------------126-145
    Zone3 152-166---------------------------146- 164
    Zone4 167-180---------------------------165- 177
    Zone5 181-194---------------------------178- 194
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,563
    You can do it based on MAX HR, but I think basing it on lactate threshold is a better way as it takes into account your current fitness levels.
    These are the zone calculation percentages for bike.

• nisieg1
    I now but i dont have my LTHR for cycling just for running. I will do an LT Test but for now i just want do work with the max HR Zones...
  • masjer
    edited April 2022
    Max Hr on the bike will be slightly less than Max running (less muscle groups and unweighted), but as above, the zones look good.
    Different calculators or methods of calculation will give slightly different results, but it's only a rough guide.
  • nisieg1
    I now my Max HR for Running is 194, but I also had during Hill Intervalls 190bpm on the bike. Is it possible to have almost the same HF max for bike and running?
  • masjer
    edited April 2022
    Possible. Heart rate can vary anyway (caffeine, hot/cold weather, fatigue, sleep, altitude etc) so I wouldn't worry unduly. If you were say, whilst testing, 5 beats under your absolute max HR (where it feels you might die), it only changes HR in lower zones slightly.
  • masjer said:

Max Hr on the bike will be slightly less than Max running (less muscle groups and unweighted), but as above, the zones look good.
    Different calculators or methods of calculation will give slightly different results, but it's only a rough guide.

I keep hearing this but it doesn't equate with my own experience. I am a cyclist and very occasional runner, but I am doing a bit more running these days. Max HR on the bike is 185 but I have only recently got my Max HR running up to 177. The difference is that the limitation when I am running is my legs whereas it is my heart that is the limitation on the bike, and the pain is such that I couldn't imagine pushing it any harder.