Richard Moore (The Cycling Podcast) - RIP

2»

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    edited April 2022
    It's very good. Recommend not listening at work or driving because it's heart wrenching at times.

I'm a fairly standard British stiff upper lip stereotype but it was hard hearing Friebos crack at times. It's so unlike him.

Then the euros, who are much better with their emotions than us come on and just wrecked me.

I don't think we as listeners appreciated what a titan he was in Cycling Journalism.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Yeah I found Kate Wagners article hard enough tbh. Just such a surprise.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,602
    Listened to it today and welled up a couple of times. Didn’t know Daniel and him had had issues but they all spoke with genuine emotion and all struggled at times. Glad to hear they are resolved to continue though.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    Now listened to the full podcast, had to take it in 3 sessions, too much.

Does show how central Richard was to the whole enterprise. I can't see how the podcast with its multiple variants continues without him.

Very sad.
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 465
    orraloon said:

Does show how central Richard was to the whole enterprise. I can't see how the podcast with its multiple variants continues without him.

Very sad.

I’m still struggling to bring myself to listen to it.

I was thinking the same about the Podcast, they would need someone else to join and that’s a big ask.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    roscoe said:

orraloon said:

Very sad.

I’m still struggling to bring myself to listen to it.

I was thinking the same about the Podcast, they would need someone else to join and that’s a big ask.
    Likewise- had a couple of failed attempts to listen to it before completing. I get the impression he was like a fun, patient father to those who knew him (despite his image of an impatient rampaging buffalo). I’m particularly impressed by Friebe and Birnie being able to address things so soon to be able to broadcast this - but it really sounds like they’ve committed the last two weeks since Moore’s death to an intense process of assessing his professional and personal stature and all the ways that he was such an enabler.
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,685
    I listened to the latest episode too. It was a fitting tribute with almost all of the contributors describing a similar relationship with Richard who clearly was hugely supportive of them all, often enabling their careers. Equally he clearly had a very cheeky sense of humour that people enjoyed - especially in the bubbles that tend to follow bike races around.

Daniel’s voice cracked on a couple of occasions, then Ciro and Orla’s contributions were especially emotional. I couldn’t have thought I’d ever be so affected by a podcast!

A couple of episodes of the new Arrivee podcasts have been released following Paris-Roubaix and there were some suggestions that there will be episodes from the Giro. However it does feel like Richard held the whole thing together and you wonder how things will work going forwards - especially where Daniel has other commitments. That said, there have been occasions over the past 2 years where races have been covered by just 2 of the 3 main hosts and they do have some good contributors who could step in.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

I listened to the latest episode too. It was a fitting tribute with almost all of the contributors describing a similar relationship with Richard who clearly was hugely supportive of them all, often enabling their careers. Equally he clearly had a very cheeky sense of humour that people enjoyed - especially in the bubbles that tend to follow bike races around.

Daniel’s voice cracked on a couple of occasions, then Ciro and Orla’s contributions were especially emotional. I couldn’t have thought I’d ever be so affected by a podcast!

A couple of episodes of the new Arrivee podcasts have been released following Paris-Roubaix and there were some suggestions that there will be episodes from the Giro. However it does feel like Richard held the whole thing together and you wonder how things will work going forwards - especially where Daniel has other commitments. That said, there have been occasions over the past 2 years where races have been covered by just 2 of the 3 main hosts and they do have some good contributors who could step in.

They've been very clear that they are going to keep going. Whether that's truly long term or will last only a few years, I guess it's hard to know.

Finished it on the plane last night and had a good weep (I think altitude induced lachrymosity is a thing?).

I found the bits with Kate and Orla (and the cycling pod feminin) especially touching as he seems to have done that entirely without pretension and without fanfare as he just thought it was the right thing to do.

I agree they could do with a 3rd host on a more permanent basis.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    I was half expecting it to be pedaleur de charme