E-bikes Are Sh#t!

2»

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    edited May 2022
    To anyone considering buying an emtb, I would 100% recommend taking a look at what is in my opinion the best emtb website on the planet. I say this because it has members from all over the world, and with no flaming or backstabbing going on. When the occasional spat erupts, the moderator swiftly quenches it. But do know where to find Google Translate for the occasional auto-translate site glitch on contributions from non-English posters. Here is the link to the emtb website:

https://www.emtbforums.com/

It is a goldmine of valuable insight and commentary on e-bikes in general, fault finding, and top tips on which transmission, brakes..............ad nauseum are "best" and which are not. All written by people that actually have emtbs and not journalists. The average age of the population is older than most and maybe because of this it is a friendly and welcoming site and with no more than one resident pedant (who is actually an extremely well qualified bike mechanic and ex-DH racer and is very helpful when he wants to be).

It came as a surprise to me when I was doing test rides back in 2018, but the make of motor, the way the software affects the ride, and the physical interaction between the technology and the rider have an enormous impact on the perception of the ride. You can't just assume that as you have always ridden a Specialized that you will also like their emtb offerings.

For the first time convert I can whole-heartedly recommend a Shimano motor (e8000 or the later EP8) for their much praised "natural" ride feel. It will provide an easy transition from an mtb to an emtb.

Many riders baulk at the cost of an emtb (£1200-£1500 more than an mtb of equivalent spec) and opt for a hardtail instead of a full-suss. Judging by the confessions and laments on the emtb website, most of them regret it. The extra weight seems to be more unforgiving on a hardtail and the vast majority say to go for a full-suss. For the avoidance of doubt, I am talking about mountain bikes here, for use on mtb trails - not for commuting on tarmac where a hardtail will be fine. But if that is all you will be doing, then get a rigid e-bike and save yourself some serious money.

I saw earlier that someone said that it was important to get the best brakes possible (implying that was even more important on an emtb). Good brakes are always important on any bike, but let's face it even the heaviest emtbs only weigh another 10-12 kg vs a normal mtb. I would suggest that rider weight, rider intentions, speed and the seriousness of the terrain place a far bigger demand upon the brakes than simple bike weight.

Don't forget that on all unmodified emtbs sold in Europe and the UK, the power assist cuts out at 15.5mph (25kph), any faster than that is a deliberate intention by the rider.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited May 2022
    Re: Brakes.

All the e-mtb's I've been looking at recently and the set ups on my two friends bikes seem to have 200+ rotors and four pot brakes as standard.

My comment on brakes isn't implying any specific necessity from one bike to the next, apologies and didn't intend for it to come across that way. It was aimed at what I'd expect to see specced on any e-mtb judging off every other one I've seen so far.

Upgraded to four pot calipers myself and can't imagine ever running two pots again on any mtb.

I'm over 100kg kitted up, so are my Buddy's. Comparable bike weight isn't really a factor, we do the same trails and we all need that kind of brake set up regardless.

• steve_sordy
    @reaperactual Agreed about the brakes, but no apology to me was necessary, I just didn't want anyone out there to think that bigger brakes were necessary solely because it was an e-bike. I have seen some emtbs spec'd with smaller discs, but not many. It is more usual to see two-pot with the big disc. However, even with 4-pot callipers, some riders are going for even bigger discs! (223mm I believe). But before exploring that cost, I would be looking at upping the spec of the brake pads.

One other factor to take into account, especially for the heavier riders, is the max allowable weight of the bike. All bikes have a max weight that the designers have used and for many mtb bikes it is 130kg. Not really a problem for a bike that weighs 13kg as it allows the rider + kit to weigh in at 117kg (a mighty 18 stone 6lbs). But once you have a bike that itself might weigh 26kg, then the rider weight falls to 104kg, a rather less mighty 16st 5lbs. Following consumer pressure, emtbs are being produced now that are rated at 150kg, much better.

Whatever bike you ride, whether you decide to ignore the bike weight limit in the same way that you ignore the intended use guidelines that limit your Enduro bike to jumping no more than 18", or the way you ignore the minimum tyre pressures is of course 100% up to you. But at least ask the question when buying the bike. o:)
  • reaperactual
    No worries Steve, wouldn't want anyone to misinterpret what I meant to get across either. 😎👍

• loltoride
    loltoride Posts: 460
    To be truthful from my limited experience I have never found brake and front suspension to be so important, from our small group 2 are upgrading forks & 1 brakes. I have also never personally used so much brake going downhill which is awesome but literally using the brakes almost the whole way due to the speed which is of course down to weight.
    So Far!
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

Ukrainians are using them to cut around and cause chaos at the mo'.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • reaperactual
    edited May 2022
    loltoride said:

To be truthful from my limited experience I have never found brake and front suspension to be so important, from our small group 2 are upgrading forks & 1 brakes. I have also never personally used so much brake going downhill which is awesome but literally using the brakes almost the whole way due to the speed which is of course down to weight.

Started out on basic cable operated disc brakes then the natural progression to hydro's, bigger rotors, pad compounds and so on.

Maybe unlike me you haven't found yourself lacking brake power that one time? It's not a nice feeling.
    Not that you just can't stop, more like being on the verge with long, hard sustained lever pulls and only just stopping.

I'm no hardcore downhiller, the four pots were the last upgrade on my list and the stopping power can now match the (occasional) high demand. Addictive upgrade with better feeling brakes each time so can't go backwards. No such thing as being 'over-braked' imo.

Don't need it but there's still a little niggling thought about going from a 180 to 203 on the rear too.... then there's apparently even more stopping power with Magura's.....when will it end? 😬😃
  • reaperactual
    edited May 2022
    MattFalle said:

Ukrainians are using them to cut around and cause chaos at the mo'.

M.F. they need to get themselves Camo helmets too. 🤪
  • reaperactual
    edited May 2022
    loltoride said:

Re: Front suspension.

Relatively new to air fork myself and not paid much attention to that side of things either.

Only recently found out that my forks are really poorly set up. I found three volume spacers were fitted and I've left it like that for now.

For the last couple of years been riding around only using around 60% of their potential travel, I guess they're way too 'progressive' and can't be getting the most out of them.

No expertise on that but I can say it's an important part of the set up for any bike and worth paying a little attention to.

Good to take a closer look to make sure they're set up correctly, working for you and doing what they're supposed to do.
  • steve_sordy
    This is a link to an excellent guide to setting up and tuning your suspension.
    It started as a series of articles in an online bike magazine called Bike Rumour. It was in such demand that they provided a link to the full series. I have circulated this link many times and to other bike forums (fora?)

https://bikerumor.com/bikerumor-suspension-setup-series-full-series-pdf-free-download/
  • reaperactual
    edited May 2022

This is a link to an excellent guide to setting up and tuning your suspension.
    It started as a series of articles in an online bike magazine called Bike Rumour. It was in such demand that they provided a link to the full series. I have circulated this link many times and to other bike forums (fora?)

https://bikerumor.com/bikerumor-suspension-setup-series-full-series-pdf-free-download/

Thanks Steve. I'll check it out. 👊

Have watched two really good Bike Radar clips on set up and advanced set up.

https://youtu.be/xhnKTZu2AKs

https://youtu.be/ylkTWArNX04

At least they have given me an idea of how it should be. This is something I'll be addressing very soon.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.