Close Pass Videos - What to do with them

Recently bought a chilli-cam and put it on my bike for commuting.

I've have had a few very close passes so I want to know where I can upload them?

Hampshire police used to have a dedicated portal but it's been shut down, so do I just submit them as dangerous driving?

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,500
    Might be worth asking the local police station.
    With the recent changes in the Highway Code I would hope that they would be interested to see these.
  • If it's like Cheshire police you have to submit it on the basis of a road traffic incident with your view being that an offence has been committed.

It's a fairly long winded process as you have to provide a written witness statement to support the footage along with any other witness statements you may have.

Best of luck with it.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    If it's anything like Lancashire Constabulary don't bother.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Brilliant I'll submit them as dangerous driving then.
    Had another this evening where I car pushed past me whilst I was doing 20+mph so close, his door brushed my knee.
  • ibr17xvii said:

I get your frustration but it's always worth reporting - even if there is no evidence i.e. a video - as it creates a paper trail and possibly a route to conviction should the close passes lead to something more serious by the same vehicle/driver.

If the local police don't know about all the close passes then they don't know there is an issue and therefore there is no case for the force to divert attention/money/resource to the issue.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154

If it's like Cheshire police you have to submit it on the basis of a road traffic incident with your view being that an offence has been committed.

It's a fairly long winded process as you have to provide a written witness statement to support the footage along with any other witness statements you may have.

Best of luck with it.

Have you ever got anywhere with Cheshire Police?

I've submitted several close passes/overtake, cut in, slam on incidents and I'm pretty sure they didn't even watch the video before deciding not to do anything about it :neutral:
  • dannbodge
    Submitted them all last night to Hampshire police.
    I hope that the worst one will have action taken seeing as he made contact with me, and i reported as such. You can also see in my video I get moved across the lane by the vehicle.
    Luckily it also catches the car following slow down and ask me if I was okay.

Stuck the driver down as dangerous driving, driving without due care and leaving the scene.

I'll keep this updated if anything happens of it.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065

ibr17xvii said:

I get your frustration but it's always worth reporting - even if there is no evidence i.e. a video - as it creates a paper trail and possibly a route to conviction should the close passes lead to something more serious by the same vehicle/driver.

If the local police don't know about all the close passes then they don't know there is an issue and therefore there is no case for the force to divert attention/money/resource to the issue.

Which is all fair enough but if you report multiple times & literally never even get a repsonse you do begin to question why you are bothering.
  • thistle_ said:

If it's like Cheshire police you have to submit it on the basis of a road traffic incident with your view being that an offence has been committed.

Best of luck with it.

I've submitted several close passes/overtake, cut in, slam on incidents and I'm pretty sure they didn't even watch the video before deciding not to do anything about it :neutral:
    I've submitted close passes on a number of occasions but I'm not sure whether you'd ever know whether anything has been done to be honest as I don't think there is any obligation for you to be informed.

My view is I'd rather assist in building a case against the mindless idiots that are out there on the basis that if they do hurt a fellow cyclist or pedestrian etc then there's a better chance of a conviction against them.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154

thistle_ said:

Best of luck with it.

I've submitted close passes on a number of occasions but I'm not sure whether you'd ever know whether anything has been done to be honest as I don't think there is any obligation for you to be informed.
    I'm not sure if there's an obligation but I've always heard something back. With Cheshire Police it's always been a "we're not taking any further action".

My view is I'd rather assist in building a case against the mindless idiots that are out there on the basis that if they do hurt a fellow cyclist or pedestrian etc then there's a better chance of a conviction against them.

I agree. Well, I hope that's how it works anyway.

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Just watched a video on the BBC of a close pass that has resulted in the driver being banned. Northamptonshire police appear to be using cyclists helmet videos and dash cam footage to go after bad drivers.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited April 2022
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    dannbodge said:

Recently bought a chilli-cam and put it on my bike for commuting.

I've have had a few very close passes so I want to know where I can upload them?

Hampshire police used to have a dedicated portal but it's been shut down, so do I just submit them as dangerous driving?

Hi Dan, and welcome to the telly tubby club ;)
    I used to ride daily in hampshire and typically report an incident once or twice a week under the old Hantsnap system and got fairly well known within hants police.

i have been lead to believe that there is now a two tear system - firstly, upload the video to youtube of vimeo with the link set to unshared so that you have to have a link to see it, and then report via the "report a road traffic incident" link on the hampshire police's website, ideally within 7 days of the event.

Having seen the "reprocessed by a third party" video and your witness statement, if they consider it worthy of action they will then send you an email with a bespoke link for the raw video such that they have a copy of the "original" and can therefore use it for court evidence.

I'm hearing feedback from some that if you submit the report without the linked video, that the team don't get back to you and ask for the video, despite what the form says, and only if you know the right person to prod in the assessment team is it likely to get reviewed again.

Hampshire don't provide feedback to submitters, despite clear guidance from the National Police Cheif's council that they should; and at least prior to the highway code update they also have a low action rate on camera submissions from people cycling compared to people driving, especially compared to other forces, indicating some non-cycle awareness.. this may change with the highway code making this easier, but wouldn't hold my breath on it.

Would be really interested if you do receive any feedback.. via DM if you'd prefer!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • dannbodge
    Thanks for the post.

If I receive anything back I will update the thread.

I'm not holding my breath but seeing as Northampton police recently fined a driver for a close pass (it's in the papers) and no contact was made, I'd hope that mine (where I was actually nudged by the car) would get pursued.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    dannbodge said:

Thanks for the post.

I'm not holding my breath but seeing as Northampton police recently fined a driver for a close pass (it's in the papers) and no contact was made, I'd hope that mine (where I was actually nudged by the car) would get pursued.

I did mention that 3 posts up the thread.
  • dannbodge
    webboo said:

dannbodge said:

Thanks for the post.

Yeah I know. It's a 40 page discussion on pistonheads too.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    dannbodge said:

webboo said:

dannbodge said:

Thanks for the post.

I hope that's going better than I fear it could be
  • dannbodge

dannbodge said:

webboo said:

dannbodge said:

Thanks for the post.

I hope that's going better than I fear it could be
    It's not actually too bad.

There's a few moomins as expected but the vast majority are in agreement with the punishment. General consensus is the pass wasn't too close (I agree as the car gave as much room as possible) but the speed was excessive (which is what ultimately led to the conviction)
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    dannbodge said:

Thanks for the post.

If you or your bike actually got touched by the driver, and it's on camera, then it should be an absolute shoe-in for at least a driving awareness course.

Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • dannbodge
    SO finally had an update, after having to send an email chasing the three reported close pass incidents.

Close pass 1 - No action as i didn't include the video, didn't realise you had to provide a link to an external hosting site
    Close pass 2 - Car went past whilst another was coming the opposite way - They've been sent a letter
    Close pass 3 (the one with contact) - The owner/driver has been sent a letter. See below:

"Thank you for your submission. The driving behaviour demonstrated has been reviewed and is of a poor standard but will not meet the burden of proof to provide a realistic prospect of conviction at court.
    The owner/driver has been issued a warning in writing informing them of their actions and risk of prosecution in the future"

Basically. We can't be arsed to look into this anymore. Seeing as the news has published drivers being punished for less with less, I'm disappointed with this result.
    It's better than nothing.
  • katani
    katani Posts: 133
    dannbodge said:

SO finally had an update, after having to send an email chasing the three reported close pass incidents.

"...risk of prosecution in the future..."

... when we at least see your brains splattered on the road.

• katani
    katani Posts: 133
    edited May 2022

dannbodge said:

Thanks for the post.

If you or your bike actually got touched by the driver, and it's on camera, then it should be an absolute shoe-in for at least a driving awareness course.

But they absolutely are aware or what they are doing and why. 100% of those very close passes are intentional. What they need to be made aware is that there will be consequences, and painful ones. A hefty fine, points on the licence and a letter to the insurer.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    In Scotland these still have to be submitted on a CD in a suitable format.

In other news we do now have electricity in many homes.
  • scottishgeek
    scottishgeek Posts: 143

Not true, though I sense you are not being serious.

I have submitted via email with a the full, hi-res, video being supplied later on a USB memory stick when the police followed up with a visit to take statements.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805

Not true, though I sense you are not being serious...
    FA is being forced against his will to live in a country that he detests.
    That is the impression his posts leave anyway.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

I love the country, just not the people. And I live here because this is where I work.

Probably I wouldn't like Endlish people either, and there are a lot more of them.

The Police Scotland upload option came into being in March 2022. Sorry for not noticing for so long.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366

pblakeney said:

I love the country, just not the people. And I live here because this is where I work.

Probably I wouldn't like Endlish people either, and there are a lot more of them.

The Police Scotland upload option came into being in March 2022. Sorry for not noticing for so long.
    Maybe you just don't get on with 'the people' 'cos you're such a grumpy f*cker.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • First.Aspect
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

This is just a hypothesis.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

This is just a hypothesis.
    Fair enough.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805

pblakeney said:

Sounds like you need to get a job somewhere even more remote.
    Faroes?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.