Using different car tyres on same axle?

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited February 2022 in The cake stop
So had a car puncture and its on the edge of the tread so not repairable. Anyway money is a bit tight at the moment with the energy hike, inflation etc so to that end I am tempted to get a new 'budget' tyre from Kwik Fit instead of replacing with another Michelin Primacy.

Really annoyed as the car is a brand new 21 plate so the tyres only have 500 miles on them, such as waste!

The budget tyre is £50 cheaper but crucially still has the same size, load rating and speed rating as the Michelin.

My worry is that I am gonna get pulled over because its the back right tyre so from the back it will be obvious for a panda car that maybe behind me that I have different treaded rear tyres. I have read conflicting advice about using different brands on the same axle, some tyre websites say its illegal and some say its legal just not advised.

I am aware that I cannot use radial and x-ply etc but given basically every 'car' tyre now is radial that rules that out as a issue. I am also aware that having 1 mismatched rear tyre is less than ideal for braking/handling etc but I am not too worried about that as its only used for commuting / local trips so rarely goes over 40mph and the front tyres (and back left) are brand new Michelin's.

My only concern is down to a legal issue, if I put on a new budget tyre on is this legal? Again the remaining 3 tyres are brand new Michelin's so tyre tread depth is a non issue

Advice appreciated, thanks

Comments

• drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Don't do it. It's not worth it. £50 is really just a fuel tank. I know it sucks, but the extra uncertainty in handliing, which you won't notice until it's too late, is not worth it.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    Is your spare tyre the same as the other four? You could get this swapped over if it is. I’m not aware of any legal requirements in the UK to have matching tyres across one axel. If it was then over 50% of cars would be breaking the law. I believe in other countries and the EU you are required to have matching tyres.
    But yes, handling may suffer in extreme conditions/situations.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    No problem at all. You seem to know what you can not do. No need for speed restrictions. The only down side is that the budget tyre will not last as long as a Michelin.
    ( I am an ex MOT tester)
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    I'm pretty certain it's legal - I've never replaced tyres in pairs and I've never made sure they've matched.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    edited February 2022
    Thanks for the advice. Just wanted to check.

Re the spare - Car came with a can of 'foam' which I tried - Did bu**er all!

• Don’t go to Kwik Fit and you will save more than £50 and it will be quicker.

I know absolutely nothing about the subject but if you are pottering about in the family saloon then crack on. If you have tweaked your ride to eke out the last few extra horses and drive it on the ragged edge then things would be different
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    edited February 2022
    If you Google there is a difference of opinion, most places say it is fine but others say you should have the same tread pattern on both. That said, the ones saying it should be the same tread pattern are websites for tyre companies who want to sell more tyres! I had a blow out a couple of weeks ago and it was replaced by a different brand. The only thing the tyre fitter said may be a problem was if the tread on the other tyre was significantly worn (he also asked if my car was permanent 4x4 as that would have reduced the tread differential). As the remaining front tyre was only a few weeks old this wasn't an issue for me.
  • lesfirth
    Confirm. Do not go to Kwik Fit. Chances are that they will con you.
    Each branch has a sales target for the branch and an individual customer sales target. Too many customers like you only spending £50 and the manager will soon be looking for another job.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    I've had different tyres fitted on the same axle loads of times and never given it a secon thought and the dude at the tyre garage (local very respected jobbie) has never raised it as a potetial issue.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • As an ex traffic cop (and still a civilian crash investigator) I can assure you it's not illegal to have different tyres on the same axle.

However, as already mentioned it is ill advised, as the tyres may have different handling characteristics. Not a problem pootling around town, but at higher speeds, or indeed an emergency situation, I would certainly want my vehicle to behave as expected.

In addition, the tread patterns may dissipate water less effectively, so consistent wet road handling may also be compromised.

In the case of any legal action (criminal or civil), if the car was fitted with tyres which did not meet the OE standards of load and speed rating, it would be picked up on (I know I would!).
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • lesfirth

As an ex traffic cop (and still a civilian crash investigator) I can assure you it's not illegal to have different tyres on the same axle.

However, as already mentioned it is ill advised, as the tyres may have different handling characteristics. Not a problem pootling around town, but at higher speeds, or indeed an emergency situation, I would certainly want my vehicle to behave as expected.

In addition, the tread patterns may dissipate water less effectively, so consistent wet road handling may also be compromised.

In the case of any legal action (criminal or civil), if the car was fitted with tyres which did not meet the OE standards of load and speed rating, it would be picked up on (I know I would!).

I do not think the vast majority of drivers would have a clue how their car would behave in an emergency.

" Consistent wet road handling " needs a consistent road surface and our roads do not have that.

Nobody has suggested mixing tyres of different load or speed rating so the last paragraph is irrelevant but if it was the case it would not need Sherlock Homes to spot it!

• In 40 years / gazillion miles driving company cars I've never had it suggested that tyres need to match. When you get an unrepairable puncture or you've trashed a tyre by running it flat the leasing company will only ever authorise fitting one replacement. And they'll usually go for whatever is the cheapest equivalent. Even if you do get the same tyre if the other one is part worn you'll then have different tread depths.

Admittedly that never involved budget tyres, but as said above if the load and speed rating are the same then you should be fine...

Plod ain't going to pull you over cos your tyres aren't all matchy matchy.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    lesfirth said:

I do not think the vast majority of drivers would have a clue how their car would behave in an emergency.

Slow and understeery as f*ck would be my car :)
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,597
    I always replace in pairs but its not a requirement.

Use a couple of online sites such as Black Circles or My Tyres or Asda, and find the tyre you want and pre-book and pay the fitting. Prevents any nonsense upselling by a tyre fitters supervisor posing as a great mate in a slightly menacing way.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,625
    The advice used to be that tyres be the same age, so you didn't get big differences in grip etc. Seems to have morphed into exact same type.

Personally I would though, particularly if you have a big difference in quality from side to side of the car. Some budget tyres really are shit.

Least worst option is for the new one to be the same as the others, given that the others only have 500 miles on them.
  • lesfirth said:

As an ex traffic cop (and still a civilian crash investigator) I can assure you it's not illegal to have different tyres on the same axle.

" Consistent wet road handling " needs a consistent road surface and our roads do not have that.

Nobody has suggested mixing tyres of different load or speed rating so the last paragraph is irrelevant but if it was the case it would not need Sherlock Homes to spot it!

I never said our roads were consistent, they're anything but. This discussion is about tyres, but you knew that.

I promise to think twice before posting something helpful in future, and something not as irrelevant as your entire post.
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,386
    The good lady has had three pot hole induced side wall punctures in the past 6 weeks (roads here are S**t) the tyre place changing the tyres recommended the same make/model of tyres on the front (drive) axle but did say it was not a requirement
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • MattFalle
    Munsford0 said:

In 40 years / gazillion miles driving company cars I've never had it suggested that tyres need to match. When you get an unrepairable puncture or you've trashed a tyre by running it flat the leasing company will only ever authorise fitting one replacement. And they'll usually go for whatever is the cheapest equivalent. Even if you do get the same tyre if the other one is part worn you'll then have different tread depths.

Admittedly that never involved budget tyres, but as said above if the load and speed rating are the same then you should be fine...

a gazillion miles?

blimey.

you need to find a shorter route to Asda.

#takealefthere.itsashortcut
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Used to be about radial vs cross ply . Shouldn’t mix two different types on the same axle. So long as they’re the same build it’s fine. I don’t think it was ever illegal, just inadvisable - they have different handling characteristics so could be problematic. I seem to remember tv ads about it
  • MattFalle said:

Munsford0 said:

In 40 years / gazillion miles driving company cars I've never had it suggested that tyres need to match. When you get an unrepairable puncture or you've trashed a tyre by running it flat the leasing company will only ever authorise fitting one replacement. And they'll usually go for whatever is the cheapest equivalent. Even if you do get the same tyre if the other one is part worn you'll then have different tread depths.

a gazillion miles?

blimey.

you need to find a shorter route to Asda.

#takealefthere.itsashortcut
    Gazillion was a guess. Seems like a lifetime ago.
    Life in the slow lane now; redundancy payout, low stress technician job in school, 8 mile rural commute, 12 weeks paid holiday, access to laser cutter and 3D printer. And Asda is a 3 minute walk :)
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Michelin primacy seem to get a lot of punctures. I’ve worn out 2 but had 6 replacements. VW replaced the rear left with a Falken as that’s all they had and it’s done 20000 so far mixed rear axle with a Primacy.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Has anyone ever even seen a crossply tyre? I was surprised to see they still get a mention on motoring sites as I don't think in 30 odd years of driving a tyre shop has asked me if I want crossply or radial even when having to replace all 4 at the same time.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Aren’t cross ply the older sort, basically inferior to radial? Or is it the other way around. Don’t think you get an option these days
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,625
    It is the sort of thing that people called Norman, who are in the Wolsey owners club, worry about. You know, so that in the Summer they can park in a field and talk to Derek about how original the car is.

Oh, yes it has original duck egg paint not two pack, and those are cross ply tyres so steering is just as awful as when it was new.

Is that an original 1965 AA badge there Derek? Oh yes Norman.

Etc.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Pross said:

Has anyone ever even seen a crossply tyre? I was surprised to see they still get a mention on motoring sites as I don't think in 30 odd years of driving a tyre shop has asked me if I want crossply or radial even when having to replace all 4 at the same time.

I'm old enough to remember the warnings not to mix them but I don't remember being asked by a garage which i wanted so I'm assuming by the mid-late 1980s one or other was no longer readily available.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,597
    I ‘into’ old Volkswagens and people do fit cross plies to achieve authentic restorations or to complete an original car. Special order only and not cheap.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • MattFalle
    edited February 2022

It is the sort of thing that people called Norman, who are in the Wolsey owners club, worry about. You know, so that in the Summer they can park in a field and talk to Derek about how original the car is.

Oh, yes it has original duck egg paint not two pack, and those are cross ply tyres so steering is just as awful as when it was new.

Is that an original 1965 AA badge there Derek? Oh yes Norman.

Etc.

tbh, people will do the weirdestshit - oooh, I'd like some Avon Roadrunners for my motorbike please. And some nice Hi Tec Silver Shads to go for a run.

i can almost hear the squeaky voices in the AA badge convo. Deffo a pair or two of those glasses with variable tint lenses going on there methinks.
  • DeVlaeminck
    I can understand the tyre thing - I know a few people into classic scooters and modern tyres stick out like a sore thumb.
  • MattFalle
    that as maybe, but i'd rather keep traction than be in traction.

#comedygold