TV freeview etc options

13»

Comments

• How much cheaper is the new internet provider?

So not sure as i currently have the virgin tv broadband combo.
    this was my point, I am sure you get a combo discount

if you want cheaper then tell them you are cancelling and wait for their "pant dropping dept" to call and then hammer the price down. This works particularly well if you actually cancel.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 74,814
    edited January 2022

How much cheaper is the new internet provider?

if you want cheaper then tell them you are cancelling and wait for their "pant dropping dept" to call and then hammer the price down. This works particularly well if you actually cancel.
    So I got told this when I binned off sky to go to virgin and they just went "sure no probs cya later" (to paraphrase)
  • When I renewed my deal with Virgin it was cheaper to have all the films and all the sport than not, because I wanted fast broadband. I have watched one film.
  • How much cheaper is the new internet provider?

So I got told this when I binned off sky to go to virgin and they just went "sure no probs cya later" (to paraphrase)
    I did the reverse and Sky sent Virgin the transfer code who then called me and tried to negotiate, I told them the number it would take to stay and they agreed.

This is not a humblebrag as they have subsequently used my indolence to push the monthly cost to eyewatering levels
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,394
    edited January 2022

How much cheaper is the new internet provider?

I left for a month in November, but in December the "Return to Sky" lot came a calling....
    I didn't haggle, just took what they offered: £50 off future bills and £19 a month thereafter. They also gave me another £5 off my BB, which they had already discounted, when I dropped my tv package!
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566

sungod said:

So am I right that the answer is, for now anyway, to stick with virgin?

the right answer is get an aerial and run the cable in :)
    Yeah I'm not running the cable from the far corner of one room to the far side of the other.

It's what I had to do, took off the skirting boards, drilled through to next room, remove more skirting boards, channel cable behind skirting boards, replace skirting boards, re caulk and paint, chisel channel in wall up to TV, run cable up to TV, fill and plaster channel, sorted, no visible cabling and will give you something to do over the weekend 😀
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,903
    womack said:

sungod said:

Yeah I'm not running the cable from the far corner of one room to the far side of the other.

It's what I had to do, took off the skirting boards, drilled through to next room, remove more skirting boards, channel cable behind skirting boards, replace skirting boards, re caulk and paint, chisel channel in wall up to TV, run cable up to TV, fill and plaster channel, sorted, no visible cabling and will give you something to do over the weekend 😀
    alternate method: big drill, big drill bit, cable entry anywhere you like

i used one of these at one of mrs s's places...

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,911
    sungod said:

womack said:

sungod said:

Or you could just string it from the ceiling, wrap fairy lights around it, and tell everyone that you leave your Christmas decorations up all year to cheer yourself up.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,196
    womack said:

sungod said:

Not trivial for those that struggle with DIY.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,577
    Or rearrange the furniture to place the TV where someone decided was best.

Only kidding, but.....

Consider the TV location very carefully with regards to windows and lighting. Modern TV screens are very reflective.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    edited January 2022

womack said:

sungod said:

Not trivial for those that struggle with DIY.

Fair point, I'm ok on DIY, photography seems to be my Achilles Heel.

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,903

sungod said:

womack said:

sungod said:

Or you could just string it from the ceiling, wrap fairy lights around it, and tell everyone that you leave your Christmas decorations up all year to cheer yourself up.
    this would be an excellent way to cheer up the whole neighbourhood
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,065

When I renewed my deal with Virgin it was cheaper to have all the films and all the sport than not, because I wanted fast broadband. I have watched one film.

But used the hyperfast broadband to watch lots of, ahem, videos online?