TV freeview etc options

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687
    pblakeney said:

You don't get the full All4 or itv hub on there, only catchup stuff. So Fargo or Derry Girls isn't on there, but the masked singer is.

In other words, the stuff you actually want to watch isn't there.
    They know what they are doing. Cough up or suffer.

That's been the model ever since BBC/ITV lost their monopolies, and Sky paid big bucks to get the must-watch stuff with loyal followers.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    It surprises me that Sky seem to still do their new programmes the old school way of having to wait a week for the next episode. Even I've started getting into the habit of watching programmes when I want (and even the BBC do it with some of their programmes now). Sky's model now feels like it falls into the gap between traditional 'free to air' TV and modern subscription services.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511

Bear in mind that catchup TV on Virgin doesn't have all the adverts that the free versions of All4, ITVhub, UKTV play etc have. They are infuriating if you are used to the ad free versions.

It may sound like an idiotic question, but how do I take advantage of that on my Virgin box and does it work in their app? I found it really easy with Sky, but whenever I search for something with Virgin it provides a variety of options which include launching other apps and buying it from Virgin. Sometimes it has an "included in your subscription" option, but it all seems to be overcomplicated.
    There's about a thousand ways to it but if you only want things that are in your package...

Go back on the guide and find the show, with a C symbol.

And choose "watch from catchup"

Or in catchup go to channels and find shows by date or search in there.

You don't get the full All4 or itv hub on there, only catchup stuff. So Fargo or Derry Girls isn't on there, but the masked singer is.

Thanks for your help. I've played around with it a bit following your instructions. I think the confusing bit is that if you select a BBC programme it launches iPlayer, but if you select ITV it plays it directly. I think I assumed I would need to sort out all the apps for every channel.

However, if you search for something like "Blaze and the Monster Machines" it provides six series of results including anything available on Prime (even if you don't have it) and things available to buy from Virgin. This isn't very helpful at all.

I suppose if you know the exact episode you are after you can find it and discover whether it is available, but I'd like a way to work out what is available to watch.

Sky just shows what is available and then downloads it all and puts it the same place. No apps etc.

• It's not the best.
  • Pross said:

It surprises me that Sky seem to still do their new programmes the old school way of having to wait a week for the next episode. Even I've started getting into the habit of watching programmes when I want (and even the BBC do it with some of their programmes now). Sky's model now feels like it falls into the gap between traditional 'free to air' TV and modern subscription services.

All episodes of Brassic were available straight away, I'm sure.
  • TheBigBean

It's not the best.

Ok. Thanks. I was just wondering if I was missing something.

I guess I only have Virgin for sport which I could source from elsewhere except that Virgin is one of the few ways to record Sky Sports.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498

Pross said:

All episodes of Brassic were available straight away, I'm sure.
    Amazon and Disney do this as well, for their "originals".
  • I like it despite its idiosyncrasies.

But I do record most things I want to watch.

Its iplayer and prime app links are fine as well.

Actually just used the all4 app through the apps section on the box and that played the taskmaster new year episode with no adverts. So maybe that works too.

Adverts on itvhub through the app on the box though.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595

I like it despite its idiosyncrasies.

Not directed at yourself, just a handy quote. I couldn't tell you how many years it has been since I recorded anything. On demand is not only the future it has been the present for a long time.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    Yes, the apps are all fine, but if I'm only watching through apps then there are many other ways to receive the same service.
  • pblakeney said:

I like it despite its idiosyncrasies.

Not directed at yourself, just a handy quote. I couldn't tell you how many years it has been since I recorded anything. On demand is not only the future it has been the present for a long time.
    I do use iplayer and prime (and have been using now tv which has the WORST interface) as well, but for things I know I'm going to watch, I just record them and watch them because I can fast forward through the adverts. As above you need to pay to do that on some services.

And I sometimes take ages to watch stuff by which time it's vanished from anywhere I'm subscribed to.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    So am I right that the answer is, for now anyway, to stick with virgin?

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432

the right answer is get an aerial and run the cable in :)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rick_chasey
    sungod said:

Yeah I'm not running the cable from the far corner of one room to the far side of the other.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Plug your Freeview box + aerial into the sender for something like this, and plug the receiver into the back of the TV?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Transmitter-Streaming-Externaed-Multi-Camera-Production-Blue/dp/B09DYHJP75/
  • TheBigBean

sungod said:

Yeah I'm not running the cable from the far corner of one room to the far side of the other.
    It's not that hard and not really that noticeable either, but you could pay someone to bring a new cable down from your roof and enter your house exactly where you want.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193

Could you lift the carpet and put it between the underlay and the carpet gripper?
  • focuszing723
    Hide the where the cable comes out by furniture for the TV and inlet socket.
  • As you are doing this to save a few quid I would go back and check how much you save from having broadband and TV as it seems like a lot of hassle.

Maybe keep Virgin and cut back on crushed avocado
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2022

As you are doing this to save a few quid I would go back and check how much you save from having broadband and TV as it seems like a lot of hassle.

Maybe keep Virgin and cut back on crushed avocado

You know what they say about the Dutch - deep pockets, short arms.

If I had a billion pounds I'd still not want to pay for something I didn't use; it's the principal, rather than the money savings themselves; they're fairly trivial.
  • rick_chasey

Could you lift the carpet and put it between the underlay and the carpet gripper?

I am fancy pants with wooden floors and persian rugs rather than carpet.
  • focuszing723
    Get a Tesla that'll sort it.
  • How much cheaper is the new internet provider?
  • rick_chasey

How much cheaper is the new internet provider?

So not sure as i currently have the virgin tv broadband combo.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited January 2022
    Since Rick has to buy a new tv, what about buying a Sky Glass one?
    I think they can be purchased without having to sign up to a tv package, but have all Sky channels available to stream.
    So, in theory, they should have Freesat channels.
    You also have the on demand, or restart a program option.

I believe they are just plug into a power source and away you go.
    No other leads or aerial.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    Ah I will look into that, thanks.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,162

I think they can be purchased without having to sign up to a tv package, but have all Sky channels available to stream.

Sky Glass is as you say, but it's not that cheap. We already had the dish and able left by the last occupants of our house so went for the basic Sky Q package which includes Netflix. Add in Prime Video which we already have, Iplayer etc and that's a decent spread.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

Sky Glass is as you say, but it's not that cheap. We already had the dish and able left by the last occupants of our house so went for the basic Sky Q package which includes Netflix. Add in Prime Video which we already have, Iplayer etc and that's a decent spread.
    It’s £649 for a 43” £849 for a 55” or £1049 for a 65”.

My understanding is that Rick doesn’t want a Sky tv package, but would like a Freesat option. So nothing to pay beyond the initial cost.
    If he wants to have Netflix and/or Prime, I don’t know if an independent subscription can be added.
    I subscribed direct with Premier Sports and watched that through my Sky box without a problem.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,162

Stevo_666 said:

It’s £649 for a 43” £849 for a 55” or £1049 for a 65”.

My understanding is that Rick doesn’t want a Sky tv package, but would like a Freesat option. So nothing to pay beyond the initial cost.
    If he wants to have Netflix and/or Prime, I don’t know if an independent subscription can be added.
    I subscribed direct with Premier Sports and watched that through my Sky box without a problem.

I was talking about the monthly charges, and that you need the Sky Ultimate package on top of that (according to the Sky website. If you want a new telly anyway then the hardware cost isn't too bad.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]