saturday quoi que vous fassiez, écrasez l'infâme, et aimez qui vous aime

'ning

looking like a soggy day

stroll, cafe, laze etc.


my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
«1

Comments

  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,898
    Run, try and sort tubeless valve on the gravel bike otherwise will take the single speed over to my parents, cycling with a pal half the way and then meeting up with a couple more - should be a giggle.

    A few pints with them and then to my parents for the final Christmas thing. Staying over so ale shall be enjoyed
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,898
    oxoman said:


    TLW sorry to point out the obvious but xmas was so last year its another 350 days.

    https://www.xmasclock.com/

    😂 delayed because of the dreaded C’s - parents on a cruise and I had covid
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,857
    Awoken too early as junior has to go on her work placement despite it being the weekend. Hounds were content to wander round outside in the wet for ages after taking a leak: they'll be getting wet again soon and so will we.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,066
    edited January 2022
    Went for a ride, nice to be out in shorts and a T again. Didn’t bother with a helmet today snd the leaves are starting to sprout.

    Unfortunately had a crash at 9.4km so gave up, might have another go this afternoon.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,479

    Went for a ride, nice to be out in shorts and a T again. Didn’t bother with a helmet today snd the leaves are starting to sprout.

    Unfortunately had a crash at 9.4km so gave up, might have another go this afternoon.

    Mind those slippery roads HD, don’t catch a chill.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,479
    Was going out on the bike but closer examination of the weather from the window suggests not. I’ll have to find a way to aggravate an already grumpy menstruating wifey instead.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,178

    Went for a ride, nice to be out in shorts and a T again. Didn’t bother with a helmet today snd the leaves are starting to sprout.

    Unfortunately had a crash at 9.4km so gave up, might have another go this afternoon.

    Have you tried this? https://youtu.be/A9gdNtZQ47Q?t=2173

    I don't have a copy of GTA V.


  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,773
    Dunno about crushing the infamous, maybe tomorrow, but crushing sense of ennui here given the rain has started and forecast to pee down for hours. Walk to gym and get wet? Or do nothing? Decisions, decisions.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,528
    I have GTA 5 but I have hardly touched it. Can't use the arrow keys to drive, you have to use the joy stick and seen as I am so used to GT where you can set up the pad in any configuration, i'm hopeless. Also hate the 3rd person view.

    Anyhoo. it's blowing a hooley although slightly milder. Will do some core stability stuff today and pedal tomorrow as the weather seems a bit more conducive, if not, rollers.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,178
    pinno said:

    I have GTA 5 but I have hardly touched it. Can't use the arrow keys to drive, you have to use the joy stick and seen as I am so used to GT where you can set up the pad in any configuration, i'm hopeless. Also hate the 3rd person view.

    Get the bike mod and a Sterzo then you can steer using your bike :wink:

  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    utterly totally gopping outside so just done quick turbo seash to warm up, now weights.

    TDV smashed herself up earlier (both arms, hip L leg) so patched her up.
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    seanoconn said:

    Was going out on the bike but closer examination of the weather from the window suggests not. I’ll have to find a way to aggravate an already grumpy menstruating wifey instead.

    just be yourself.
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    tlw1 said:

    Run, try and sort tubeless valve on the gravel bike otherwise will take the single speed over to my parents, cycling with a pal half the way and then meeting up with a couple more - should be a giggle.

    A few pints with them and then to my parents for the final Christmas thing. Staying over so ale shall be enjoyed

    4 of you?

    that's nearly a club. you need to be careful.....
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Morning. It’s Saturday so another away game - just leaving Canterbury so we get around. Shame we lost but thems the breaks. Job application to write this afternoon and a couple of minor work things to do. I’ll set the turbo trainer up again too now that Xmas is over.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,528
    johngti said:

    Morning. It’s Saturday so another away game - just leaving Canterbury so we get around. Shame we lost but thems the breaks. Job application to write this afternoon and a couple of minor work things to do. I’ll set the turbo trainer up again too now that Xmas is over.

    What were you going to do your doctorate in?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    johngti said:

    Morning. It’s Saturday so another away game - just leaving Canterbury so we get around. Shame we lost but thems the breaks. Job application to write this afternoon and a couple of minor work things to do. I’ll set the turbo trainer up again too now that Xmas is over.

    put me down as reference - i'll do you a solid.
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    pinno said:

    johngti said:

    Morning. It’s Saturday so another away game - just leaving Canterbury so we get around. Shame we lost but thems the breaks. Job application to write this afternoon and a couple of minor work things to do. I’ll set the turbo trainer up again too now that Xmas is over.

    What were you going to do your doctorate in?
    The doctorate is looking at maths anxiety and whether there’s a simple to implement intervention that students can apply to limit the impact of maths anxiety. And whether busy teachers can effectively use it to help their students. As a profession we’ve got a lot better at the actual teaching methods (in general) but we’re still as bad at thinking about affect. I pretty much have 80% of the data I need, have to do some interviews over the next month and actually get around to writing things up now.

    Bet you’re glad you asked now!!
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    oh - I need to drill the remains of an old Quill stem out of a steel fork off Dirk - anyone got any links for a suitable bit?
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,898
    MattFalle said:

    tlw1 said:

    Run, try and sort tubeless valve on the gravel bike otherwise will take the single speed over to my parents, cycling with a pal half the way and then meeting up with a couple more - should be a giggle.

    A few pints with them and then to my parents for the final Christmas thing. Staying over so ale shall be enjoyed

    4 of you?

    that's nearly a club. you need to be careful.....
    😳 it’s ok, turns out two of them are fair weather cyclists and aren’t playing.

    I mean, it can’t be any worse than my run earlier

  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,898

  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,629
    rain rain rain

    mass reduction going well, almost finished off the big chorizo, still have about 25cm of the salchichón ibérico to get through, nibbled with cheese, olives and cornichons, it's pure atkins
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    tlw1 said:


    i've had worse in my mouth.
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    tlw1 said:



    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,857
    edited January 2022
    Didn't take a pic but we had to put the hounds in the shower when we got home from the walk. Luckily it fits both of them so we can hose them down together.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,479
    tlw1 said:


    Hard to tell where the mud ends and the feet begin.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,528
    johngti said:

    pinno said:

    johngti said:

    Morning. It’s Saturday so another away game - just leaving Canterbury so we get around. Shame we lost but thems the breaks. Job application to write this afternoon and a couple of minor work things to do. I’ll set the turbo trainer up again too now that Xmas is over.

    What were you going to do your doctorate in?
    The doctorate is looking at maths anxiety and whether there’s a simple to implement intervention that students can apply to limit the impact of maths anxiety. And whether busy teachers can effectively use it to help their students. As a profession we’ve got a lot better at the actual teaching methods (in general) but we’re still as bad at thinking about affect. I pretty much have 80% of the data I need, have to do some interviews over the next month and actually get around to writing things up now.

    Bet you’re glad you asked now!!
    If the anxiety has built up through the simultaneous pressure to learn from a very early age (they don't start formal education in Sweden until 9 years old and they have amongst the hardest University entrance criteria for example) and the pressure to get results [these are assumptions that you are welcome to correct] then any reduction of anxiety through some methodology is simply mitigation on a variable scale that doesn't cure the root causes?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    or they just don't get it and fall to bits in the exam?
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    pinno said:

    johngti said:

    pinno said:

    johngti said:

    Morning. It’s Saturday so another away game - just leaving Canterbury so we get around. Shame we lost but thems the breaks. Job application to write this afternoon and a couple of minor work things to do. I’ll set the turbo trainer up again too now that Xmas is over.

    What were you going to do your doctorate in?
    The doctorate is looking at maths anxiety and whether there’s a simple to implement intervention that students can apply to limit the impact of maths anxiety. And whether busy teachers can effectively use it to help their students. As a profession we’ve got a lot better at the actual teaching methods (in general) but we’re still as bad at thinking about affect. I pretty much have 80% of the data I need, have to do some interviews over the next month and actually get around to writing things up now.

    Bet you’re glad you asked now!!
    If the anxiety has built up through the simultaneous pressure to learn from a very early age (they don't start formal education in Sweden until 9 years old and they have amongst the hardest University entrance criteria for example) and the pressure to get results [these are assumptions that you are welcome to correct] then any reduction of anxiety through some methodology is simply mitigation on a variable scale that doesn't cure the root causes?
    Yeah it’s a bit more than that and not specific to the uk. There’s certainly a lot of evidence that the causes can include performance related anxiety but there’s also societal influences and other bits involved. It’s a fight or flight response in many ways and when it kicks in, cognitive load becomes unmanageable and it becomes an issue. The intervention is about informing students about the biological cause, how this links to their learning, how to turn the negative emotional response around, and strategies to avoid getting to that state of negativity when they come across a similar problem in the future.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    MattFalle said:

    johngti said:

    Morning. It’s Saturday so another away game - just leaving Canterbury so we get around. Shame we lost but thems the breaks. Job application to write this afternoon and a couple of minor work things to do. I’ll set the turbo trainer up again too now that Xmas is over.

    put me down as reference - i'll do you a solid.
    Missed this! Thanks man, appreciate that 😀
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    MattFalle said:

    or they just don't get it and fall to bits in the exam?

    No because it’s not just exams. There’s loads of walks of life where having a grasp of numbers is important and lots of people have a tendency towards maths anxiety. Loads of research on how it affects otherwise very capable and intelligent people. But there’s also a growing body of evidence that people can be taught to deal with it and for it not to be disabling (in the broadest sense - it’s obviously not a disability!)