CAAD Optimo - 90s retro-themed Ultegra Di2 winter training build project

2»

Comments

• johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    MattFalle said:

why have you ruined it with mudguards?

it was alright until you stuck those on.

To be fair, he might only have fitted one so far
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 606
    Winter training build to my mind includes mudguards, at least in the UK. Who in their right mind wants a freezing, salty slurry enema every time they go out in the wet?

Top marks for the 3D printed mount!
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Munsford0 said:

Winter training build to my mind includes mudguards, at least in the UK. Who in their right mind wants a freezing, salty slurry enema every time they go out in the wet?

Top marks for the 3D printed mount!

well you're wrong.

get those abominations off.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    johngti said:

MattFalle said:

why have you ruined it with mudguards?

it was alright until you stuck those on.

To be fair, he might only have fitted one so far
    good point well presented John G-T.

its stillshit though.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • ledeev
    ledeev Posts: 208
    Day 19 - Front mudguard

In comparison to the rear mudguard, the fitment of the front one was much more involved. In my haste to buy a replacement carbon fork with an untapered steerer, disc mounts and a hole through the crown I hadn't realised that the fork I'd bought and painted was a pure road fork and had little clearance for a full mudguard.

To get round this I decided to cut the mudguard in two and to use the existing mounting hardware for the rear section and to design a fitting for the front section.

Design of the fitting was quite time-consuming and involved and took 5 iterations to get close. It did have the advantage that I was able to add a solution to tame the wayward brake hose and to provide a mount for a front light. The fork didn't have rack mounts either, so I traced round the fork leg to get its profile and designed and 3d-printed mounts.

As the mounts were away from the dropout area, it meant that I had to bend the mudguard stays. I've never had to do this before but it was straight-forward and I maintained the symmetry side to side by bolting them together then bent them round a scaffold pole on my bench.

With all the hardware fitted, I trimmed the stays down with a Dremel. This is a tricky operation and I found it beneficial to slide a thin slip of ply between the stay and the mudguard to prevent it slipping and cutting through.

I will probably streamline the look of the fitting to make it less bulky but then fitting mudguards to road bikes is a contentious issue anyway. When I first started cycling years ago I never understood why people fitted them, but since picking up a nasty eye infection after riding through some slurry on a lane outside of a pig farm I've taken a more pragmatic and cautious approach to aesthetics and made sure that my winter training bikes have full mudguards.
  • ledeev
    edited January 2022
    Day 20 - Front light

With the front mudguard parts fitted, I now have somewhere to fit the front light. I really like the Exposure Trace light due to its compact size and the fact that it is rechargeable. I don't like the handlebar mount though and prefer a more uncluttered bar anyway, so set about designing and 3d-printing a bespoke mount.

It's a simple design that mimics the excellent design of the Supernova E3 dynamo. I've made it adjustable to get the beam just right. I used the remaining two purple M5 bolts I had left and bought some M5 nyloc nuts to complete the look (from a radio-controlled car shop!). I'm happy with how the design turned out and it is suitably minimalist and unfussy.

• dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Love what you've done but I can't but hate those spray.bike paints.

the finish always loooks so bad (not your fault it's the paints)

However, top job on the mudguards and I love that light mount.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    More amazing work. Nice!

Mudguards are a necessity in winter or in the wet in my opinion.
  • This is like Holstein, or Caravaggio. I like, very much.
  • ledeev
    Day 21 - Finished

• ledeev
    dannbodge said:

Love what you've done but I can't but hate those spray.bike paints.

the finish always loooks so bad (not your fault it's the paints)

However, top job on the mudguards and I love that light mount.

You are quite right, if I had known that the finish that Spray.Bike paint produces was this mottled texture, I'd have tried something else. Annoying as it wasn't due to lack of preparation. I don't expect it to last long either as it chips easily, especially around the mudguard eyelets and BB shell.