High end chamois cream

So my favourite chamois cream, the rapha one, is discontinued.

I’m gutted. Worked really well, never needed much and smelled great.

Any suggestions for good replacements?

Not a fan of the assos stuff. Doesn’t smell too nice and wasn’t silky enough for me, for reference.

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited December 2021
    Not silky enough. What were you using it for :*
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,417
    Mate, it’s meant to go on the lower end. You’ll know when you hit the spot.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Just buy a tub of 'Udderly Smooth', but insist on paying three times the retail price...
  • photonic69

Just buy a tub of 'Udderly Smooth', but insist on paying three times the retail price...

That was a decent and cheap product until they made it thin and gloopy. Now using Paceline chamois butt’r in a tube. Nice thick consistency and stays put. Seems to work well for me

• haven't used in years... it makes no difference...
    left the forum March 2023
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,775
    YMMV.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • So my favourite chamois cream, the rapha one, is discontinued.

I’m gutted. Worked really well, never needed much and smelled great.

What did it smell of?
    and who smelled it? (apart from you)

haven't used in years... it makes no difference...

You’ve hardened up then, certainly makes a difference here ;) (but not on the high end)

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,698

In all honestly I didn’t get on with that stuff
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I was using the muc off luxury chamois cream but tried this stuff back in the summer and been using it ever since.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/beelite-chamois-cream-250g
  • pblakeney
    redvision said:

I was using the muc off luxury chamois cream but tried this stuff back in the summer and been using it ever since.

"Please don't share your chamois cream as this will keep contamination to a minimum, even though you might be tempted to allow your friends to use it."

Eeuuowww. 🤮
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Chamois Butt'r, don't use it often, just for 100s or if I think I'm going to get soaked.

Pretty sure it saved the nethers during this years Tour de Broads where it honked it down for the first 35miles.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I've tried a few and my favorite is the muc-off. Lovely stuff
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • rick_chasey
    redvision said:

Yes I’ve seen this as an alternative- what’s the smell like?
  • rick_chasey
    handful said:

What’s the smell? 👃👃
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958

handful said:

What’s the smell? 👃👃
    Hard to describe really. There's definitely a menthol scent, but no where near as strong as the assos stuff.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    edited December 2021
    Tried loads, but hit the sweet spot with the muc off stuff already mentioned. Grabbed some at a tenner a pot esrlier this year, £14 is the best I can see currently, but it lasts for ages, excellent performance and vfm.

Have noticed a consistency change in the current batch, not as solid as it used to be, but have experienced no degradation in performance, and is no longer easy to sometimes extract more than required, so a positive step imho.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Muc-Off/Athlete-Performance-Luxury-Chamois-Cream-250ml/DSQQ
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564
    A cycling forum must be one of the few places where it’s normal for a bunch of guys to discuss what creams they rub on their bots and how they smell.
    Mind you, I've just read all about it.

Cheap, unscented but works well- QV intensive ointment.
  • pblakeney
    masjer said:

A cycling forum must be one of the few places where it’s normal for a bunch of guys to discuss what creams they rub on their bots and how they smell.
    Mind you, I've just read all about it.

Cheap, unscented but works well- QV intensive ointment.

I seriously suggest that you do not do a general Google search on that.
    Especially so at work. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • I suggest you try riding without, you might just be the type that is wasting money on something they don't need.
    I have done long Audax rides without cream... clue is the sweaty bum... if you have a sweaty bum when you ride, you probably don't need it
  • daniel_b
    I've had the occasional, intense and repetitive pain of saddle sores, and won't risk it for the tiny cost of a pot of cream - suspect one of those pots lasts me for a year, , even 1.5 a year at the £10 I bought them for is just over £1 a month, more than happy to pay that for some kind of insurance :)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b said:

I've had the occasional, intense and repetitive pain of saddle sores, and won't risk it for the tiny cost of a pot of cream - suspect one of those pots lasts me for a year, , even 1.5 a year at the £10 I bought them for is just over £1 a month, more than happy to pay that for some kind of insurance :)

Saddle sores are caused by wearing the wrong shorts or using the wrong saddle or cycling in the wrong position, rather than by lack of lubrication.

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    if so why do pro riders get them?

surely in addition to the possibilities you have decreed as sole and only they can also be caused by infection, poor hygiene, being a clubbie, in growing hairs, opening partially healed injury, too much seating, too little sweating, too much lubrication, too little lubrication.....

just asking.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • daniel_b
    edited December 2021
    MattFalle said:

surely in addition to the possibilities you have decreed as sole and only they can also be caused by infection, poor hygiene, being a clubbie, in growing hairs, opening partially healed injury, too much seating, too little sweating, too much lubrication, too little lubrication.....

just asking.

Their team clearly don't know how to fit them for their bikes :D

Sean Kelly will be really miffed now, he could have doubled his GT victory count :#
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle said:

just asking.

MattFalle said:

just asking.

I’ve tried riding every day and not washing for a week… no saddle sore. It really boils down to a good saddle and pad fit. If you don’t have it, you can use ounces of cream but it won’t help very much

• photonic69
    I don’t use it on every ride but sometimes I like to rub unguent over my nether regions for fun ;)

• rick_chasey
    Ah lads it really isn’t a referendum on if you want to use it or not. If ya don’t it’s not really helpful advice is it?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Athlete Performance is good stuff
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Ah lads it really isn’t a referendum on if you want to use it or not. If ya don’t it’s not really helpful advice is it?

Wouldn’t it solve your problem to find out you don’t need it? Unless you have a fetish for it, obviously…
    It doesn’t hurt to try a dry run… hopefully… :D

• rick_chasey
    I’ve been riding long enough to know when and when I don’t need it.
  • rick_chasey
    gsk82 said:

Athlete Performance is good stuff

What’s it like? Consistency and smell wise