tuesday tweaking the fine structure constant

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    sungod said:

pinno said:

Morning from a soggy Land of Jock.
    Northern Calif gets snow snow snow after southern Calif earlier in the year gets scorched scorched scorched. Unusually mild weather. It's all wrong and quite unsettling.

we've fu​cked the climate, just remains to be seen how bad things will get, it's already becoming unliveable for many people in africa/middle east

here, another soggy ride led inevitably to huge cut in rear tub, ssssss

coasted on flat tub to cafe to take advantage of awning to shelter from the rain, ordered coffee outside, removed tub, fitted tufo spare, inflated to 8 bar, coffee still hot

practice == speed

restorative mince pie before sticking another wheel on and then start the glue ritual
    this is why tubs are cool - also, you not thought of taping? saves even more time....
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,198
    Old school bikelists. Dontcha luv 'em. 😉
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    sungod said:

if pressure is much lower, it's just a countdown to wheel damage on potholes, c.7 bar is asking for it, chipped both rims on a pair that way

Yes, but you are riding Tubs. 70psi is not regarded as MTB pressure
    The chap from Vittoria:

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/whats-the-correct-road-bike-tyre-pressure-270668

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • MattFalle
    pinno said:

sungod said:

if pressure is much lower, it's just a countdown to wheel damage on potholes, c.7 bar is asking for it, chipped both rims on a pair that way

The chap from Vittoria:

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/whats-the-correct-road-bike-tyre-pressure-270668

Sssnnnooooore

don't tell me what to do - we all have preferred pressures, set ups, etc so some random bloke who doesn't know me, doesn't know my bike set, doesn't know where/how I ride, etc telling me what to do?

Nah.

If i wanted bleating condescension I'd join a club.
  • MattFalle
    orraloon said:

old skool rocks
  • orraloon
    MattFalle said:

orraloon said:

old skool rocks
    Cool. Do you carry those spare tubulars wrapped over your shoulders? Hard core.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129
    edited December 2021
    pinno said:

sungod said:

The chap from Vittoria:

glad to see he agrees with me :smiley:
    Tommaso has some simple advice to get started on your ideal tyre journey, “if you used to ride 116-130 psi (8-9bar) on a 23mm tyre you might want to drop pressure in a 25mm tyre by 1bar (14 psi), dropping another bar for 28mm and going down to around 72psi (5bar) for a 30mm tyre.”
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,608
    You lot should just get a set of Conti gatorskin hardshells like I have. Can't remember the last time I had a puncture and I don't go round dodging bits of glass. Cheaper than these fancy skinny tyres as well :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129
    Stevo_666 said:

You lot should just get a set of Conti gatorskin hardshells like I have. Can't remember the last time I had a puncture and I don't go round dodging bits of glass. Cheaper than these fancy skinny tyres as well :)

i've actually tried the gatorskin tubs, they ride like hosepipes, poor grip in the wet and to my surprise they punctured easily, easy to fix with sealant though
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • orraloon
    oxoman said:

Stevo_666 said:

Used gaterskins for years comutting having tried various other makes and had flats, apart from marathon plus,s and never had an issue. But on going tubeless went with some IRC formula xguards and they give grip and keep the 🧚‍♀️ away.
    Ooh, you mentioned TPF. You're doomed I tell ye, doomed.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I suspect SG has been round the block enough to know what he likes and will stick with it.
  • Stevo_666
    sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

i've actually tried the gatorskin tubs, they ride like hosepipes, poor grip in the wet and to my surprise they punctured easily, easy to fix with sealant though
    To be fair mine aren't tubs so probably completely different.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    sungod said:

pinno said:

sungod said:

The chap from Vittoria:

glad to see he agrees with me :smiley:
    Tommaso has some simple advice to get started on your ideal tyre journey, “if you used to ride 116-130 psi (8-9bar) on a 23mm tyre you might want to drop pressure in a 25mm tyre by 1bar (14 psi), dropping another bar for 28mm and going down to around 72psi (5bar) for a 30mm tyre.
    Me too, so there.

• pinno
    oxoman said:

CBA to start a debate.

Oh you're no fun.

• Stevo_666
    pinno said:

oxoman said:

CBA to start a debate.

Oh you're no fun.

Debating - in BB? That's a bit ambitious isn't it?
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

oxoman said:

CBA to start a debate.

Oh you're no fun.

Well yes, a good bun fight can be had though.
  • Stevo_666
    edited December 2021
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

oxoman said:

CBA to start a debate.

Oh you're no fun.

Well yes, a good bun fight can be had though.
    True, I guess the art is choosing BB'ers that aren't offended by being on the receiving end of soft bread products :*
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Stevo_666 said:

Gatorskins are the tyre for people who want to hate riding a road bike. They might not puncture but you wish they would so you could set fire to them and throw them over the nearest hedge.
  • Stevo_666
    webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

Gatorskins are the tyre for people who want to hate riding a road bike. They might not puncture but you wish they would so you could set fire to them and throw them over the nearest hedge.
    Just as well they're on my commuter bike then :)
  • MattFalle
    Gatorskins?

I want to ride a bicycle not a HGV.
  • Stevo_666
    MattFalle said:

Gatorskins?

Good resistance training/MTFU training.
  • MattFalle
    Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

Gatorskins?

so is punching myself in the testicles and that's not going to happen either
  • Stevo_666
    MattFalle said:

Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

Gatorskins?

so is punching myself in the testicles and that's not going to happen either
    If that means not getting a flat on the ride into work ('specially in the badlands of SE London), I'll take a bit of pain.

Oxo already nailed it.
  • pinno
    oxoman said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

Nah, we use them because we depend on them to get us to work. Not everyone has a plan b if a flat happens.
    320 tpi Vittorias with latex inner tubes = 1 puncture in 3 years.

You can stuff your cheap Gators and other bargain basement tyres, they're horrible. Like riding through a muddy river bed on a wet day with panniers full of bricks.
  • pinno
    Oh - pulled thorn out 2 weeks ago after hearing this tick tick tick noise. I thought it was a cable or the chain but it was Hawthorne. Expected the usual sssssssssssssssss but nothing. Latex: if it's good enough to bonk with...
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Oh - pulled thorn out 2 weeks ago after hearing this tick tick tick noise. I thought it was a cable or the chain but it was Hawthorne. Expected the usual sssssssssssssssss but nothing. Latex: if it's good enough to bonk with...

You've had at least 2 punctures then? :p
  • Stevo_666
    edited December 2021
    pinno said:

oxoman said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

Nah, we use them because we depend on them to get us to work. Not everyone has a plan b if a flat happens.
    320 tpi Vittorias with latex inner tubes = 1 puncture in 3 years.

You can stuff your cheap Gators and other bargain basement tyres, they're horrible. Like riding through a muddy river bed on a wet day with panniers full of bricks.
    More punctures than me ;)

• pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

No - there wasn't a puncture. Pulled the thorn out but it hadn't penetrated the latex inner tube.
    Did you miss you the bit in bold?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I had a puncture in Gatorskin. They are not thorn proof but they are still sh*t tyres.
  • orraloon
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

No - there wasn't a puncture. Pulled the thorn out but it hadn't penetrated the latex inner tube.
    Did you miss you the bit in bold?
    'Course if'n you woz running tubeless, just pull out the thorn, might see a little weep of sealant, carry on as normal. Easy tech innit.