Was Festive 500, now it's 8 Cols in 8 Days Challenge

ugo.santalucia
ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
edited December 2021 in Road general
Since they opened the doors to indoor cycling and removed the woven roundel, I have lost interest in the challenge...
I have signed up anyway, but I doubt I'll complete it, unless the weather is truly inspirational and being outdoors 3-4 hours a day is a pleasure, rather than a chore.

I've also signed up for a Festive hill climb on boxing day, so that makes things harder... don't think 1 km will contribute much
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,722
    Nope.
    Lockdowns have optimised my indoor setup so the idea of going out when it is 3 degrees or less, or raining is not preferable. 500kms on a trainer don't appeal either.
    I'd be up for a climbing challenge option though. Just not an Everest.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Agree - It is a shame about the roundel - as much of a token item it was, it was decent motivation to get through a nice ‘over load’ block that worked well for me. With out it I really CBA to go out in horrible weather!
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,141
    I won't be bothering this year due to lack of fitness and I can probably find better things to do than indoor riding every day (unless we have another lockdown).

I found doing it indoors last year harder than outdoors so it was a worthwhile challenge but not one I'd like to repeat.
  • pblakeney said:

Nope.
    Lockdowns have optimised my indoor setup so the idea of going out when it is 3 degrees or less, or raining is not preferable. 500kms on a trainer don't appeal either.

Last year with @w12_lad we did half an Everest (well, he did, I stopped at 1/3) in December... it was a nice day though... I'd be tempted to do something similar, given a decent day... maybe up a less muddy climb
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Nope.

Last year with @w12_lad we did half an Everest (well, he did, I stopped at 1/3) in December... it was a nice day though... I'd be tempted to do something similar, given a decent day... maybe up a less muddy climb
    Daylight is too short for outdoors, and simply too hard. (Another bugbear - The 500 was too easy in Oz etc.) I was thinking more of XXXXXm in the eight days.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 219
    I did it outdoors last year and I intend to do the same this year. I ride a lot in the dark anyway and I have mudguards and thermals. I don't need no stinkin' roundel :smile:
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,587
    I’ll do it again. I have time off work and it’s a nice motivator.
    I really think the indoor challenge should be recognised seperately, I know it’s tough but it’s just not the same.
    I do muss the badge though :(
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I’m in again but as said if the weather turns shite I’m out
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    As someone who only gets Xmas Day & Boxing Day off introducing indoor rides made it more palatable but I doubt I’ll still get it done.
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    I'd be up for a climbing challenge, could post updates on here? Anyone got any ideas?
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    An Alpe a day. The 12 Alpes of Christmas.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,842
    edited December 2021
    I did my first ever last year, happened to be pretty much all on Zwift, mainly as a way to give me motivation to fight saddle soreness on daily rides on the turbo.

Unsure if I'll bother or not this Xmas, I'm still behind schedule on my goal of 365 hours for 2021, having had a disappointing health year from prolonged Covid jab side effects and a four week flu that started the day after climbing Road To Hell in early October. I need to average ~70mins a day to complete, trying to do 90mins to give me some leaway, as I have my Covid booster in a couple of weeks.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • pblakeney
    i.bhamra said:

I'd be up for a climbing challenge, could post updates on here? Anyone got any ideas?

The Festive 500 is quite often 5 x 100kms due to time allowance and weather.
    What's a climbing effort of 100kms? 1000m? 1500m? 2000m? Five times those maybe?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I still think this is an outdoor northern hemisphere challenge to be worthwhile sorry
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pblakeney
    itboffin said:

I still think this is an outdoor northern hemisphere challenge to be worthwhile sorry

I agree.

Been there, done that though. Looking for something different.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • itboffin said:

As the resident southern hemisphere softie, I’d still agree.

500 km in December here is a doddle.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • thistle_

I really think the indoor challenge should be recognised seperately, I know it’s tough but it’s just not the same.

I think that's a good way of putting it - it's a different challenge.

• i.bhamra
    pblakeney said:

What's a climbing effort of 100kms? 1000m? 1500m? 2000m? Five times those maybe?

10,000m would definitely be a challenge especially on 10+kg of winter bike. I think I'd need to spend more hours on the bike to do this than if just completing the normal 500km, unless I picked a hill a day and did repeats.

The 12 Alpes idea sounds easier assuming you have 12 days to complete....

• pblakeney
    i.bhamra said:

pblakeney said:

10,000m would definitely be a challenge especially on 10+kg of winter bike. I think I'd need to spend more hours on the bike to do this than if just completing the normal 500km, unless I picked a hill a day and did repeats.

10,000m was not a suggestion, it was a question.
    Five times up the Alpe D'Huez over the 8 days of the Festive 500 would be over 5000m but that seems too easy. For clarity this is doing it indoors. Very few could do a significant amount of climbing outdoors without spending as much time as the Festive 500. I think indoors and outdoors should be completely separate for challenges. I do the Strava monthly climbing challenge and it is much easier to complete indoors in the winter than outdoors in the summer.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • i.bhamra said:

pblakeney said:

I'll have a think... I just signed up for a trial with Rouvy and they have a large collection of climbs with real footage with augmnented reality... you have 14 days free trial, with unlimited use, so anyone could join a challenge without spending a penny, where maybe we do 8 Alpine cols in the 8 days 24-31st... or the 8 most iconic Tour de France (or Giro) climbs... that should add up to roughly 10,000 mt of climbing... any thoughts?
  • i.bhamra
    edited December 2021
    I don't think I can face that amount of time on the turbo, hill repeats is more appealing! Weather permitting I would aim to try to do this outdoors or at least some of it - match the elevation gain, not climb actual cols.
  • I've never been able to understand how spending that amount of time riding outdoors at that time of year is preferable to sitting on the sofa for some of that time. So always respect to anyone who achieved it.

Going on the turbo for 90 minutes a day just isn't really the same.
  • So, if I set up a challenge as described above, would anyone sign up? Don't want to waste my time...
  • thistle_

So, if I set up a challenge as described above, would anyone sign up? Don't want to waste my time...

No but that's because I'm lazy.
    Although I could be tempted if there's a roundel up for grabs :smiley:
  • pblakeney
    edited December 2021
    I'm up for it as I am unlikely to do the 500 outdoors. I was going to suggest but don't have the time to think thoroughly. Tour de France - Galibier, Iseran, D'Huez, Tourmalet, Ventoux, and 3 of the easier ones?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

I'm up for it as I am unlikely to do the 500 outdoors. I was going to suggest but don't have the time to think thoroughly. Tour de France - Galibier, Iseran, D'Huez, Tourmalet, Ventoux, and 3 of the easier ones?

I need to see what is available on Rouvy. I'd like to use the good old Puy de Dome too, as it has some interesting views.
    I was thinking of fitting in a couple of short ones, for Christmas day, when people have less time and maybe for the last day.

Anyone else?
  • Did the Col d'Aubisque yesterday... nice!

https://www.strava.com/activities/6351031334
  • i.bhamra
    OK, I'll give it a go, hopefully Rouvy is less mind numbing than TrainerRoad......
  • i.bhamra said:

OK, I'll give it a go, hopefully Rouvy is less mind numbing than TrainerRoad......

I don't know, I've only used Zwift a couple of times, which seems a bit of a videogame to me... the Tron bike, the graphics, the fact that you have to unlock activities by going up levels... just the same as an arcade.
    Rouvy seems a remarkably simple and no fuss approach to indoor cycling. Real footage is nice, yesterday I spotted the exact place where I stopped for a wee 11 years ago...
  • pblakeney
    I prefer Fulgaz to Rouvy or Tacx, but you have to be able to get connected first. 😉
    All three are preferable to gaming on Zwift, especially with the level of electronic doping.
    Veronese68 wrote: