Ride London 2022

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Ncovidius said:

I did all but one of the ‘original’ PRLS. The whole point was that it followed the 2012 Olympic road race route. The last year it was run, we had to approach the Mall from the side, because the arch was being converted into a hotel. That sucked a big one. This ‘new’ version is just another crappy sportive. I’m oot.

Maybe you could ride it with your 100k rucksack on for a challenge this time.
  • Ncovidius
    Ncovidius Posts: 229
    edited November 2021
    webboo said:

Ncovidius said:

I did all but one of the ‘original’ PRLS. The whole point was that it followed the 2012 Olympic road race route. The last year it was run, we had to approach the Mall from the side, because the arch was being converted into a hotel. That sucked a big one. This ‘new’ version is just another crappy sportive. I’m oot.

I did that in 2015 ( I think ).

• webboo
    Ncovidius said:

webboo said:

Ncovidius said:

Was that when you had a bike that was the right size.
  • But more to the point... will they run the Brompton Worlds in Central London on the same day? I always wanted to have a go at that
    left the forum March 2023
  • webboo said:

Ncovidius said:

webboo said:

Ncovidius said:

All my bikes are the right size. I make sure of it. Wrong sized bikes cause injuries.
  • But more to the point... will they run the Brompton Worlds in Central London on the same day? I always wanted to have a go at that

I believe so.
  • webboo
    :D
    Ncovidius said:

webboo said:

Ncovidius said:

webboo said:

Ncovidius said:

All my bikes are the right size. I make sure of it. Wrong sized bikes cause injuries.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,932
    webboo said:

Ncovidius said:

webboo said:

Ncovidius said:

webboo said:

Ncovidius said:

He doesn't say who they are the right size for though!
  • Did you do the parachute jump with the bike?
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Sods law, sign up last week, covid this week. Here's hoping there's no long lasting effects
  • Did you do the parachute jump with the bike?

Coming down Box hill was a bit like a parachute jump, in parts.

• longy
    longy Posts: 74
    Ncovidius said:

Did you do the parachute jump with the bike?

Coming down Box hill was a bit like a parachute jump, in parts.

Really?! Did you go the right way?

• The proposed route for next year’s edition of the Olympic legacy event from London 2012 includes parts of Wanstead, Woodford and Hainault.
    The 100-mile challenge ride will start in the capital, passing through Redbridge on its way out to Essex and then back down through the borough again before finishing in central London.

So reverse of previous starts - Embankment, The Highway, Limehouse Link, A12 to Stratford, then the TdF route of Orient Way, Lea Bridge Road, Whipps Cross, Woodford New Road, Epping New Road and Epping. Then possibly North Weald, Moreton, The Rodings and back through Stapleford Abbots, Lambourne End passing Redbridge Cycle Centre
  • PMark
    PMark Posts: 159
    edited December 2021

The proposed route for next year’s edition of the Olympic legacy event from London 2012 includes parts of Wanstead, Woodford and Hainault.
    The 100-mile challenge ride will start in the capital, passing through Redbridge on its way out to Essex and then back down through the borough again before finishing in central London.

So reverse of previous starts - Embankment, The Highway, Limehouse Link, A12 to Stratford, then the TdF route of Orient Way, Lea Bridge Road, Whipps Cross, Woodford New Road, Epping New Road and Epping. Then possibly North Weald, Moreton, The Rodings and back through Stapleford Abbots, Lambourne End passing Redbridge Cycle Centre
    Epping New Road will be an interesting ride for people that have never done it before. It is a long continuous road and would actually be one of the best cycling routes around london if it had a proper road surface. But at the moment the surface resembles gravel set in tarmac, so is best done on a gravel/mtb bike IMO.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    I had a bit of a scare with the entry process.

My two sons and I all entered, and we all got our entries in before the 10 o'clock opening time. Because I did it in a bit of a rush, I didn't really look at the times properly and we put ourselves in the slowest category (and hence last to leave.)

I than went back using the 'dashboard' thing to edit my details, and after I did that, it said then said I WAS IN THE BALLOT!

Naturally, I thought i might have lost my place, and wrote to them for confirmation, which took a couple of days to get a reply.

The older I get, the better I was.

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,588
    edited February 2022
    Yo, looks like we have the routes - the free ride goes ahead too, and this is the full length one:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38539436

@Ben6899 & @super_davo - can I have your reviews of the route please?

@capt_slog is this dashboard you speak of still available?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Weird diversion into a pretty unremarkable bit of London, south of Canning Town.

Rest is pretty standard route out of the city towards Essex - I don’t really know beyond Chipping Ongar.

No climbing that I can see, but that’s no different to the old route!

I’m not the world’s biggest RL advocate, but I certainly wouldn’t pay to ride this route.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I should elaborate. It's a decent route - kind of thing I'd do at the weekend - but the bits between Embankment and Woodford are... weird.

Why not go more direct and then make up the mileage out in the sticks?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,143
    Massively disappointing I would say. About 10 miles on the A414 - WTF? I suppose they have to take in main roads due to the number of riders but this looks ridiculous.

They could also have easily straightened out the squiggles around the start, routed through Great Leighs / Boreham and taken in the one decent hill in the area and some lovely scenery over the Chelmer whilst they were at it.

As it is, its just blasts along main roads, many of which are part of local TT courses anyway. It will be quick at least.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,143
    I also can't believe they've got clearance for a route that cuts off all four ways into / out of Ongar. The NIMBYs will be up in arms there, due to timings I'd imagine they will effectively be locked in / out all day (a town of c7000)

The more I look at it, the more disappointing it is. I get the need for major roads but a major proportion is on 60 limit, wide, nothing happening roads; and then between Great Waltham & Chelmsford they've used a very narrow winding road which is bound to cause carnage (but isn't a particular hill / challenge).

Essex cycling is significantly better than this will showcase.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,588
    Some good news, they are very good at replying to e-mails.

I enquired about to where and how race numbers were to be collected, and they replied to say that for this year only, they are sending them out in the post.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Tashman
    daniel_b said:

Some good news, they are very good at replying to e-mails.

I enquired about to where and how race numbers were to be collected, and they replied to say that for this year only, they are sending them out in the post.

I think I'd seen that somewhere already. It's a real ball ache and additional cost having to travel up the day before just to collect the race pack. With what they're charging to ride it should be posted anyway.
  • Well I'm in for the 2nd time on a charity place which cost me £20. I'll make up the additional £70 towards the charity and carry on with a just giving page etc.

Two of us doing it, partners/wives coming down to spend the day in London then out for drinks later.

Training, of sorts starts this weekend.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • capt_slog
    edited February 2022

Well I'm in for the 2nd time on a charity place which cost me £20. I'll make up the additional £70 towards the charity and carry on with a just giving page etc.

Two of us doing it, partners/wives coming down to spend the day in London then out for drinks later.

Training, of sorts starts this weekend.

I believe that in previous years those charity places cost the actual charity quite a lot of money. I think it was around £250-£500 per place depending upon the charity that was buying them. They hope to make that back on the places obviously. It you got a place for just £20, you've done well, and they've probably done very badly.

I'm not getting at you BTW, I rode it twice on charity places, and there's no way I could raise the price to cover my place either. It wasn't until after I'd done the two that I found out and I wasn't happy about it.

@daniel_b The dashboard existed only for a a couple of weeks (I think). After I'd gone into it and it looked as if I'd messed up my entry, I never touched it again!

I'm hoping that reinstate it at a later date so that we can see what's going on. It's nice to be able to check that all is well.

• I am planning on doing some fundraising as I feel it necessary to do so having been given a helping hand to ride.
    If every BR member put 10p in then I'd get quite a bit!

And it's for disabled children so those that don't should feel ashamed...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • girl
    girl Posts: 9
    I have some places available if anyone wants to ride for this charity for RideLondon - Essex 100?

See the Covid-19 v Lyme disease comparison here:
    https://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/

Email: fundraising@lymediseaseaction.org.uk

We are volunteers, so all money goes to the charity and not at all to any salaries or expenses for buildings or any heating!

Lyme
  • girl
    I have charity places available for RideLondon -Essex 100 but you need to be quick ... deadline is fast approaching if you want a place!! And if you have a place already you can still raise money for charity after all that massive training effort...!

Don't let it go to waste.. a small amount helps a charity that is run by very dedicated volunteers... errr it is now 01:14 and I don't get paid and I am still doing this!
    https://ridelondon.enthuse.com/lymediseaseaction/profile

Re the places I have:
    "all entries must be registered before 16:00 29 April 2022".
    Lyme
  • girl
    Deadline to register for RideLondon-Essex 100 has been extended and will now close on Wednesday 4 May at 16:00.

Extremely limited places for the event still available.
    Email:
    fundraising@lymediseaseaction.org.uk
    Lyme
  • capt_slog
    edited May 2022
    I know of a place (not mine) that might be up for grabs at cost price if anyone is interested. You'd have to ride under another name of course.

message me please.

• Tashman
    Has anyone got any recommendations on secure bag storage in the Victoria area? I don't really fancy lugging jumper and trainers around the route with me.