Using a fork without lawyer tabs

2»

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728
    Lessons learned, if you are buying a disc bike get thru axle.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,317
    pblakeney said:

Three things I do before any ride.
    1. Check tyre pressue.
    2. Check the wheels are spinning freely.
    3. A brake check at the bottom of the drive.
    Only sensible.

You check your bike before a ride?!

FWIW, I have to really clamp up the rear on the C40. Once the wheel pulled hard left and I keeled over before I had the chance to unclip. Not the most balletic move in the middle of an industrial estate, taking a shortcut to avoid a main road.
    But (not quite as long as Weboo), I haven't had a wheel come off and I have been riding for... [now, when did I get my first bike with QR's...] 32 years.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

1. Check tyre pressue.
    Only sensible.

Just the 3 steps as mentioned.
    Only takes 5-10 seconds unless the tyre pressure is low.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited October 2021
    I rarely check my bike before going for a ride. I once went out to some intervals on an Alan cross bike I had at the time, after a couple of efforts I was having problems with steering so went home to fettle with the headset. When I lifted the bike up the wheel and front forks dropped out and were hanging on the front brake cable.
    The forks had snapped inside the bonded on steering column.
    Maybe I’ll give the bike a check today now I’ve remembered this.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,622
    pblakeney said:

Or just learn how to use a quick release. Ffs it isn't hard.
  • Never had issues on-bike, but from experience, be very careful when using a fork mount roof rack. Could have been a disaster.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

This is true but if I was moving to disc I'd get thru axle.
    May as well go the whole hog.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

This is true but if I was moving to disc I'd get thru axle.
    May as well go the whole hog.
    They are not as good to use as a decent qr and don't clamp as tightly. This means they are more prone to incorrect operation. It is yet another example of a technical development that brings almost nothing to the table.

You will get through axles when you move to discs though, because you will not have any other option other than discs with through axles.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    When did lawyer tabs become standard on forks and when was the first bicycle with disc brakes? Weren't lawyer tabs fitted to everything before disc brakes became a thing?
  • First.Aspect

When did lawyer tabs become standard on forks and when was the first bicycle with disc brakes? Weren't lawyer tabs fitted to everything before disc brakes became a thing?

Yup. I think we managed for about 80 years without them, until some dufus somewhere in the US forgot to tighten a qr and refused to take personal responsibility for whatever ensued, and wanted compensation for not being protected from their own stupidity.
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

1. Check tyre pressue.
    Only sensible.

Just the 3 steps as mentioned.
    Only takes 5-10 seconds unless the tyre pressure is low.
    I run latex tubes so pumping the tyres up (and the odd lube) is the only 'check' I do.

Oh - Squirt wax lube. Haven't looked back.

• They are not as good to use as a decent qr and don't clamp as tightly. This means they are more prone to incorrect operation.

Really? A simple screw in system that has no way of mislocating the axle prone to incorrect operation?
    The only disadvantage is they take a few more seconds to remove a wheel than qr, hardly an issue unless you are racing.
  • First.Aspect

They are not as good to use as a decent qr and don't clamp as tightly. This means they are more prone to incorrect operation.

Really? A simple screw in system that has no way of mislocating the axle prone to incorrect operation?
    The only disadvantage is they take a few more seconds to remove a wheel than qr, hardly an issue unless you are racing.
    Well it is all shit simple in the grand scheme of things, yet people still cock it up.

But yes, through axles clamp less tightly and it is a lot less obvious when they are not tightened enough.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    If the OP is still worried, if his hubs have replaceable end caps he could fit RWS Thru Bolts to his standard dropouts. These clamp significantly tighter than any QR on the market and can be fitted to standard dropouts, 9mm front axle and 10mm rear if memory serves me. I have them on my Colnago C60 disc which predates flat mount and thru axle. https://www.dtswiss.com/en/components/hubs-and-rws/rws
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601

If the OP is still worried, if his hubs have replaceable end caps he could fit RWS Thru Bolts to his standard dropouts. These clamp significantly tighter than any QR on the market and can be fitted to standard dropouts, 9mm front axle and 10mm rear if memory serves me. I have them on my Colnago C60 disc which predates flat mount and thru axle. https://www.dtswiss.com/en/components/hubs-and-rws/rws

I'd say that IF the OP is that paranoid about riding that maybe he should just quit and take up darts or the like.
  • pinno
    Darts?1 Darts are f*cking dangerous.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    My 5 year old grandson has some darts that have little rubber suckers on the tips and they stick to the dart board. No dangerous sharp points. The OP should be OK with some like that.
  • pinno
    lesfirth said:

My 5 year old grandson has some darts that have little rubber suckers on the tips and they stick to the dart board. No dangerous sharp points. The OP should be OK with some like that.

As long as everybody wears safety specs and NBC suits.
    ...and a parachute.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    pinno said:

lesfirth said:

As long as everybody wears safety specs and NBC suits.
    ...and a parachute.
    You are just being silly now.
  • pinno
    You can't be too safe.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    safety is his middle name after all...
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.