Hurt knee from turbo training and run - possible cleat position issue

Hey,

Training has been going so well for me recently but I have developed a slight knee issue. Thankfully I don't think it's anything too serious. However, I am feeling pretty depressed and quite down at the minute, mainly as I can't go to my normal running club or do Zwift rides so feel a bit gutted about it

Timeline

Saturday (10 days ago): I did a half marathon which is quite a long way for me. Nice and slow, felt great and no issues.

Tuesday (7 days ago): I did Zwift Racing and I felt my knee hurting a bit during that. But I just put it down to really pushing hard.

Wednesday (6 days ago) I did track sprints and my knee was quite painful then. I stupidly didn't stop which was a mistake.

Symptoms
  • Inside of my knee is a little tender (picture below)
  • I can squat without pain and also drive without issues
  • I do feel some shooting pain in the inner knee sometimes
  • A very minor pain if I go up stairs without care
  • If I try to run then it's a sharp pain on the inner knee and upper shin bone
  • When I was trying to stretch my hamstring a few days ago I couldn't as I got a really sharp pain in my knee area. That's easing off a bit now.

What I have done
Been icing a few times everyday and taking Ibuprofen. Resting other some a few short walks and swimming. I'm also wearing a knee sleeve sometimes just to get some compression

I have NOT gone to a physio, partly due to money but also because I don't think it's too serious an issue but I will book if it's still an issue early next week.

Possible issue with cleats

A while back I changed my cleat position. I walk like a duck and so I thought I should angle the cleats out a bit, so my feet could point outwards.

I done some rides and had no issues. But after the Zwift racing the issues started so I think when I was riding hard, that may have caused problems. As a result when I go back to riding I think I will change the cleats back to a neutral position.

Has anyone had similar knee/shin pains before? Anything I should do that I am not already - maybe using heat or electrical massage thing?

Thanks

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I would say you need to see a health professional.
  • How long had you had your previous cleat position? Was it giving you any issues? How did you decide upon that previous position?
  • emanresu
    emanresu Posts: 320
    redrabbit said:

A while back I changed my cleat position. I walk like a duck and so I thought I should angle the cleats out a bit, so my feet could point outwards.

Might be the issue. You angle cleats towards the bike to allow you feet to point out
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Shooting and stabbing pains would suggest something that needs looking at by someone in the know.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Rest it for a week (no exercise), to allow whatever you might have done to it, to recover.

You don't say how long you've been cycling, but if your previous cleat position was long term, then reset your cleats to how they were. Regardless of how you 'walk', if your position was not giving you problems before, then there clearly wasn't an issue with them.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Go to your doctor for a referral.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle said:

You'll be back on your bike in 2023.
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

You'll be back on your bike in 2023.
    he won't be back on his bike at all at this rate....
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,794
    1. See a professional.
    2. Your foot position when walking is irrelevant to cycling.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,645
    Sounds lik overtraining to me.

Half marathon, long way go the OP. Intense Zwift. Sprints. Blah.

OP should lay off for at least a week. Could go to a doctor to tell him the same thing I spose.

• MattFalle
    I'd see a doctor but what do I know?
  • First.Aspect
    GP won't just make a referral without first prescribing, you know, letting it heal. Don't know if you've heard but there's a pandemic, see.
  • First.Aspect
    Could pay for physio I suppose.
  • MattFalle

GP won't just make a referral without first prescribing, you know, letting it heal. Don't know if you've heard but there's a pandemic, see.

but the govt said the pandemic was over and everyone could go back to normal which is why johnson went on holiday again.

or am i missing something?
  • I upset the outside of my left knee in spring/summer '19, because I didn't setup my first 3-bolt cleats up right for my bow legs and then did some big efforts for me. It took most of the summer to heal to a point I could do FTP efforts without discomfort, having adjusted the cleats, bit of initial rest and then increasing amounts of gentle spins.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • First.Aspect
    OP can't learn much from fannying around with cleats at the moment, because he's already injured. At this point a perfect set up will still hurt so he's chasing his tail.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    I'm tempted to say: HTFU
    oh and take a week off.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme