Leg and arm warmers for the cold mornings?

2»

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,439
    daniel_b said:

@seanoconn , I don't have any personal experience of these, but Decathlon certainly have a raft of options at reasonable looking prices.

https://decathlon.co.uk/browse/c0-sports/c1-cycling/c3-cycling-leg-arm-and-neck-warmers/_/N-1vprqt9

Some of you will be surprised to hear I have 2 pairs in the below colour scheme ;)

Thanks daniel. They’ll match your new perfetto ros light!
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    I've got a pair of Sportful Norain armwarmers. I think the current version is the Fiandre one. Toasty, don't slide down my arms, windproof, has DWR, can often be found cheaper than the Castelli Nanoflex equvalent, and doesn't say

NANOFLEX

in giant white letters on a side. Win-win. Paired with a Gabba, they're ace. Only regret is not buying a pair earlier.

According to reviewers, the leg warmers seams aren't quite as nice, so when I got leg warmers, I went to Castelli. Only used those once so far, so can't really comment just yet.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,655
    I use the Craft knitted ones.
    (Leg warmers) The Swedes know a thing or two about telperature regulation. I usually find that it it's cold enough for arm warmers, I wear a base layer anyway
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,502
    I wore my arm warmers last night with a SS top.
    I could have worn a LS base layer, but as it was forecast for some rain, I find the arm warmers work much better when it's wet.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,599
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • seanoconn
    daniel_b said:
    Please do. They can’t stay up for that price surely! Nice colour 👍
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,154
    I've had a few arm and leg warmers over the years, and I really reckon the latest rounds of DHB have absolutely nailed it. Key detail is they have grippers on both the inside and outside so they grip against your skin and your jersey / shorts.

The rain defence are my favourite, because they are basically the same Windtex material that winter jackets are made of, so add a significant amount of warmth. Paired with a Gabba you can use in pretty dire conditions and still peel off midway through the ride when it warms up.
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-rain-defence-arm-warmers-1

I am also sold on thermal shorts now. I was a massive fan of my Castelli LW tights so invested in a pair of Omloops and they were a revelation. Since then have got a few more pairs for different brands and it is one of those things that doesn't make sense till you've tried it (much like a Gabba). Keep your core warm, and you can pair with light warmers in mild conditions or something like rain defence in cold. And still peel off when it warms up.
  • daniel_b
    seanoconn said:

daniel_b said:
    My arms are like twigs, and these have no grippers to speak of, therefore if they stay up on me, they'll stay up on anyone!
    Not sure how long Decathlon take to deliver - hopefully here this week.

I've had a few arm and leg warmers over the years, and I really reckon the latest rounds of DHB have absolutely nailed it. Key detail is they have grippers on both the inside and outside so they grip against your skin and your jersey / shorts.

The rain defence are my favourite, because they are basically the same Windtex material that winter jackets are made of, so add a significant amount of warmth. Paired with a Gabba you can use in pretty dire conditions and still peel off midway through the ride when it warms up.
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-rain-defence-arm-warmers-1

I am also sold on thermal shorts now. I was a massive fan of my Castelli LW tights so invested in a pair of Omloops and they were a revelation. Since then have got a few more pairs for different brands and it is one of those things that doesn't make sense till you've tried it (much like a Gabba). Keep your core warm, and you can pair with light warmers in mild conditions or something like rain defence in cold. And still peel off when it warms up.

I really like my Castelli LW tights as well, and the Omloops are mighty fine aren't they, they just really work for me (And you apparently) although I think a bit of it hinges on thigh length, as one review I read said it came down too far and bunched up behind the knee - for me it just comes to the very top of the knee and sits just above where the bend is in the knee, parfait!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • seanoconn
    Managed to source some Castelli nano flex leg warmers on eBay for £30.

Thanks all. 👍
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,350
    MattFalle said:

Munsford0 said:

MattFalle said:

Arm warmers: I've had sone Assos winter ones for years that are mega warm and have lasted really well (I got them in some random Wiggle or Merlin sale for about a tenner

Me too! Very warm, very grippy and seemingly indestructible. Wasn't shopping for arm warmers at the time but my inner Yorkshireman couldn't resist the lure of some Assos kit for a tenner!

they're just mega aren't they?

i've constantly looked for the leg warmers but no luck unfortunately....
    Blimey, not looking very hard are you, #wankingitout might be good medicinally but it's played havoc with your eyesight.
    https://www.merlincycles.com/funkier-thermal-leg-warmers-50367.html
  • daniel_b

MattFalle said:

Munsford0 said:

MattFalle said:

Arm warmers: I've had sone Assos winter ones for years that are mega warm and have lasted really well (I got them in some random Wiggle or Merlin sale for about a tenner

Me too! Very warm, very grippy and seemingly indestructible. Wasn't shopping for arm warmers at the time but my inner Yorkshireman couldn't resist the lure of some Assos kit for a tenner!

Blimey, not looking very hard are you, #wankingitout might be good medicinally but it's played havoc with your eyesight.
    I may be wrong, but I think he was specifically talking about Assos ones.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • veronese68
    daniel_b said:

MattFalle said:

Munsford0 said:

MattFalle said:

I thought he meant the Funkier ones, looks like I'm the one that needs my eyes testing :D
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    daniel_b said:

MattFalle said:

Munsford0 said:

MattFalle said:

this completely.Dan B is correctamundo.

If anyone spots tge 3/4 lobbies at a not stupid price then post up please!
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle

daniel_b said:

MattFalle said:

Munsford0 said:

MattFalle said:

I thought he meant the Funkier ones, looks like I'm the one that needs my eyes testing :D
    yeah.

shut up.
  • veronese68
    MattFalle said:

daniel_b said:

MattFalle said:

Munsford0 said:

MattFalle said:

yeah.

shut up.
    It's your fault for giving me this lurgy, my fault for following your medical advice. Can't see a thing now
  • MattFalle
    Well you should let me in the house instead of keeping me in the garage.

And, tbh, the way brexit is going, theres nothing really worth seeing anyway, so you may as well carry on #wankingitout (that's the one Barbara Windsor played the London gangster who used to torture and murder people girlfriend in by the way)
  • daniel_b
    edited October 2021
    seanoconn said:

daniel_b said:
    They have arrived today - quality feels good, more of a 'knit' type affair if that makes sense, and I would class them as an armwarmer for chilly mornings when you just need a covering on your arm, rather than a full on roubaix thick one for winter temperatures.

They are contoured, which is really nice, and are labelled left and right as well, and the fit for my twig arms, in the XS\S size feels to be pretty much spot on along with the length.

I'm riding in again on either Thursday or Friday, but suspect these won't quite cut it on the inbound leg at 6am, but if I remember I'll pop a pair in the pannier for the return journey and see how they fair both in terms of warmth, and staying uppiness - as noted there is no silicone anywhere to be seen.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    So wore them tonight under my perfetto light/lite, and for me they were a tiny bit thin, so as I suspected more for just taking the edge off.

Very comfy though, and they only dropped about an inch on a 70 minute ride, so well impressed - quite the bargain at £9.99 seeing how much some are costing.

I think for the job they do it's a 9/10, and value is 10/10 all day.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • seanoconn
    daniel_b said:

So wore them tonight under my perfetto light/lite, and for me they were a tiny bit thin, so as I suspected more for just taking the edge off.

Very comfy though, and they only dropped about an inch on a 70 minute ride, so well impressed - quite the bargain at £9.99 seeing how much some are costing.

My funkier arm warmers arrived. Nothing to compare them to but they cut the circulation in my upper arms off nicely. 😕
  • daniel_b
    seanoconn said:

daniel_b said:

My funkier arm warmers arrived. Nothing to compare them to but they cut the circulation in my upper arms off nicely. 😕
    I guess on the plus side, if it's really cold, if you have no feeling in your arms then they won't make you feel cold?

Could cause issues with steering, braking and gear changes though.
    Swings and roundabouts.

Do you just need one size bigger?

See if you had twig arms like me........ :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    ANY bike shop or mail order will carry what you need.
  • The mistake I made when buying my first set of leg and arm warmers was getting really thick warm material. If it is cold enough for that then you are going to need warm layers all over so that will mean a jacket and bibtights. Thick material is really annoying around your knees when your'e riding and of course they don't pack up very small when it comes to stuffing them into your pockets.

I only use arm and leg warmers on those autumn and spring rides when it can be in the low single figures when you set out but the forecast is for mid-teens later on, and I now have Lusso Cooltech leg and arm warmers that work really well for this.

TBH the leg warmers probably only get used for a couple of rides a year, and the arm warmers for maybe 5 or 6 rides.

I have kept the thick leg warmers for commuting. I pair them up with a warm pair of bibshorts in the morning, so I have the option of not wearing them for the ride home.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120

I have never understood the thermal shorts thing - surely you're better off just getting a pair of 3/4s? Or if it's that cold, just get some full lengths. The temperature swings in the morning aren't that big.

It’s flexibility, fit and replacement cost amongst other things. I used to wear winter bib tights, I don’t any more. The reasons I switched to winter shorts and leg warmers were (in no priority order);

1. I can wear the thermal shorts without leg warmers for those few days as Autumn sets in - might want something a little warmer around the tackle but not cold enough for full legs. I do this from 15 degrees down to about 12.

2. They can be paired with knee warmers for those additional days where you might consider a 3/4 tight.

3. And then you can pair them with leg warmers for cold rides all winter.

4. With bib tights you are stuck with the length as supplied. Having a shorts/ leg warmer combination means you can control the exact length a bit. I often wear leg warmers on dry winter rides with summer cycling shoes and thick socks. I can set the length so the warmers reach exactly to the top of the shoe.

When it’s wet or really cold I will wear goretex lined Sidi winter boots. I can set the warmer length at the top of the boot.

If it is going to be freezing and wet I wear Spatzwear Roadman calf length overshoes - the ONLY thing that keeps my feet warm and dry in really wet conditions for hours. The trick there is to put them over the goretex boots but UNDER my leg warmers in contact with my skin (above the top of the sock line) which stops capillary action sucking water down your sock. The extra bulk means the leg warmers need to sit another inch or two higher. Can’t do that with bib tights.

5. After an off taking the knee out of a pair of expensive winter bib tights I realised that if I’d been wearing shorts and warmers I could have simply replaced the warmers at a fraction of the cost of replacing the complete bib tights. If you pay extra for a brand with free crash repairs that’s not an issue I guess, but you will have to send them away for a week or more and not have use of them.

6. And finally, I can carry the warmers in my jersey pockets along with arms and a gilet when we go to the Algarve (this Saturday!!!) - we ride all day in summer kit as it is about 20 degrees. We stop a few miles from our accommodation late afternoon and have a few mini beers in the town square as the sun goes down. It gets cold quite quickly so the warmers and gilet go on pronto. Not exactly a reason not to buy bib tights, just another example of the flexibility arm and leg warmers give - like I said I don’t own any bib tights now.
  • seanoconn
    Castelli nano flex leg warmers worn for the first time this morning. Snug as a bug in a rug, very comfortable and possible aero gains from covering my hairy legs 😃

Checking the forecast and layering correctly for a ride is one of my little pleasures.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,435
    Gone back to summer shorts and lightweight leg warmers this week. It's been so damned warm! Probably didn't need the leg warmers either. Should have worn a non thermal top and arm warmers too today. Too hot in my fleece lined top. 11 degrees C in November. Madness!

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• seanoconn

Gone back to summer shorts and lightweight leg warmers this week. It's been so damned warm! Probably didn't need the leg warmers either. Should have worn a non thermal top and arm warmers too today. Too hot in my fleece lined top. 11 degrees C in November. Madness!

That’s crazy! 1 degree higher than the average for November. If that’s not proof of global warming nothing is!!

• photonic69
    seanoconn said:

That’s crazy! 1 degree higher than the average for November. If that’s not proof of global warming nothing is!!

Yeah, nuts innit!? I remember bonfire nights when the ground was so frozen I couldn't push the rocket tubes into the lawn. That happened a few times too.

• photonic69
    Back to summer short sleeve top and short sleeve baselayer with bib-shorts today! A balmy 13 degrees on my commute. Got the armwarmers and gilet just in case for this evening. Crazy warm weather.