Leg and arm warmers for the cold mornings?

Are they all much of a muchness? Just need something comfortable to keep the chill out in the morning that isn’t going to rub anywhere. Recommendations please.
Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I've got some Castelli nano flex and I'm happy with them, but I don't really know whether they are better or worse than others.

I think size and fit is important so they are comfortable and stay where they are supposed to be.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804
    For me the best ones have always proved to be the ones that don't rely on gripper strips but instead have inherent stretch and grip in the material that keeps them up without.

My favourites are some Giro Chrono ones (both arm and knee warmers). DeFeet Armskins are also good and are about the longest I've tried if you have lanky arms.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,490
    Castelli Nano Flex for me too.
    But as singleton says, the fit is key - you don't want to get the Nora Batty look.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Arm warmers: I've had sone Assos winter ones for years that are mega warm and have lasted really well (I got them in some random Wiggle or Merlin sale for about a tenner, they are probably now about a squillion pounds), also some Funkier ones from Merlin that are v good and well recommended.

The Funkier are longer in the arm so good if you are gangly like me. Really nice material.

Leg warmers - avoid BBB - tripe. My Lusso ones have been really good but are now worn through - were really good value for money, not sure on pricing now.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,160
    Just a tip based on personal experience. Leg warmers are useless in cold conditions unless you have appropriately warm shorts. Brrrr....
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I have some Rapha ones as they were £10 in the sale. They're actually pretty good and never fall down.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563
    Happy with my Castelli Nanoflex arm & leg warmers. Have no point of reference though, as have never used any others.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,644
    Had a look at the Castelli nanoflex. £55! 😩 Is that the normal price?
  • MattFalle
    £55? seriously? wtaf?
  • MattFalle
    edited October 2021
    boooom. sorted.

toasty. long. look cool. soft. grippy.

https://www.merlincycles.com/funkier-thermal-armwarmers-50362.html
  • For legs, my first choice on cool mornings was the Castelli LW bib tight. Nice and warm down to the knee, then water repellent lycra below. Hit the sweet spot for days when you might want to take off leg warmers. And if t's cold enough that you aren't going to want to take off the leg warmers, thermal bib longs are way better.

But for arm warmers, Castelli are the only ones I've had that stay up.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,946
    edited October 2021
    They are awesome, so flexible, but agree with @pblakeney above, you really need to pair them with some thermal type shorts.

I ride in at around 06:00, shorts, leg warmers, long finger gloves, thicker ss jersey, gilet in the pocket if required.
    Return journey is as above, but with mitts, and no warmers which get stashed in a pannier.

I have a far too large selection of them, having picked up historical bargains in various sales across the years - I was about to flog most of them, before discovering how supremely flexible they are for commuting.

I can't overly see a use for them outside of that, the leg warmers in particular, unless maybe you were touring or something, for the two rides at different ends of the day, it's a key bit of kit for me now.

Off the top of my head I have Gore, Morvelo, Gripgrab, Planet X, BBB (If that is a make) and a couple of others I think.

One thing I really like, is when both types of warmer have a silicone band on the inside AND the outside, thus stopping it sliding down, and keeping the jersey sleeve or short leg in place.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    seanoconn said:

Look on eBay. I usually try to buy them out of season in a sale.

I've tried a few other brands but always come back to Castelli.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,644
    ibr17xvii said:

seanoconn said:

Look on eBay. I usually try to buy them out of season in a sale.

I've tried a few other brands but always come back to Castelli.
    I was thinking of should have done the same.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I use nanoflex arm warmers and Probikekits own brand leg warmers.
    They're like £18 and just as warm as any others that I've tried. They're not the anatomical fir so a touch bunchy in places but good enough for my 1hr commute.
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 677
    MattFalle said:

Arm warmers: I've had sone Assos winter ones for years that are mega warm and have lasted really well (I got them in some random Wiggle or Merlin sale for about a tenner

Me too! Very warm, very grippy and seemingly indestructible. Wasn't shopping for arm warmers at the time but my inner Yorkshireman couldn't resist the lure of some Assos kit for a tenner!

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,735
    MattFalle said:

boooom. sorted.

Ooh! Might have to look at the legwarmers. Being part Hobbit on the lower half and having exceedingly hairy legs I usually wear shorts unless it's December and 4 degrees or below. However on morning commutes in traffic where I don't generate enough heat I could do with some.

How do you find the fit of the Funkier items? Italian sizing or Yorkshire sizing? 6ft and 75kgs usually sees me in Medium DHB for most or Large or XLarge for some stupid brands.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Just don't bother with Le Col arm/ leg warmers. Truly awful.
  • MattFalle
    Munsford0 said:

MattFalle said:

Arm warmers: I've had sone Assos winter ones for years that are mega warm and have lasted really well (I got them in some random Wiggle or Merlin sale for about a tenner

Me too! Very warm, very grippy and seemingly indestructible. Wasn't shopping for arm warmers at the time but my inner Yorkshireman couldn't resist the lure of some Assos kit for a tenner!

they're just mega aren't they?

i've constantly looked for the leg warmers but no luck unfortunately....
  • daniel_b
    edited October 2021

MattFalle said:

boooom. sorted.

How do you find the fit of the Funkier items? Italian sizing or Yorkshire sizing? 6ft and 75kgs usually sees me in Medium DHB for most or Large or XLarge for some stupid brands.

I have some funkier items, couple of jerseys I use for turbo now, but they are deffo not Italian fitting, pretty darned generous!

Haven't tried any of their warmers, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are too roomy for me.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    daniel_b said:

They are awesome, so flexible, but agree with @pblakeney above, you really need to pair them with some thermal type shorts.

I ride in at around 06:00, shorts, leg warmers, long finger gloves, thicker ss jersey, gilet in the pocket if required.
    Return journey is as above, but with mitts, and no warmers which get stashed in a pannier.

I have a far too large selection of them, having picked up historical bargains in various sales across the years - I was about to flog most of them, before discovering how supremely flexible they are for commuting.

I can't overly see a use for them outside of that, the leg warmers in particular, unless maybe you were touring or something, for the two rides at different ends of the day, it's a key bit of kit for me now.

Off the top of my head I have Gore, Morvelo, Gripgrab, Planet X, BBB (If that is a make) and a couple of others I think.

One thing I really like, is when both types of warmer have a silicone band on the inside AND the outside, thus stopping it sliding down, and keeping the jersey sleeve or short leg in place.

I have never understood the thermal shorts thing - surely you're better off just getting a pair of 3/4s? Or if it's that cold, just get some full lengths. The temperature swings in the morning aren't that big.
  • rick_chasey
    And re arm warmers, they are are much of a muchness. The main criteria is do they fit you snugly and do the grippers both work at keeping them up and aren't too sticky to make getting them on and off a challenge whilst on the bike.
  • 3/4s are horrendous.

Temperate swing from 6am - 8am in the summer can go from low single digit to high teens.
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

boooom. sorted.

Ooh! Might have to look at the legwarmers. Being part Hobbit on the lower half and having exceedingly hairy legs I usually wear shorts unless it's December and 4 degrees or below. However on morning commutes in traffic where I don't generate enough heat I could do with some.

Sounds awful, but Israeli sizing, so long in length and I'd say small-medium sized arms: not pro climber skinny but not average brit chubby: toned.

I'm 6'2 and 87kg of chiselled handsomeness , with v v little fat - let me check what size mine are when I get home, but off hand I'd say a medium.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,160

daniel_b said:

I have never understood the thermal shorts thing - surely you're better off just getting a pair of 3/4s? Or if it's that cold, just get some full lengths. The temperature swings in the morning aren't that big.
    That'll be why I only have one pair of leg warmers and won't buy any more.
    Knee warmers to be removed once the temp rises after an hour or so is different.
    Longs worn throughout if it is too cold for that.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey

3/4s are horrendous.

Temperate swing from 6am - 8am in the summer can go from low single digit to high teens.

Ha I think that is nature’s way of telling you that’s too early to ride for more than 30 minutes 😬
  • Just don't bother with Le Col arm/ leg warmers. Truly awful.

I would disagree, got the arm warmers and find them really warm and stay up well.

Never used leg warmers as typically go for 3/4 or bibs but LeCol do have an arm warmer + 2 lengths of leg warmers bundle for £50
  • daniel_b

I had pairs of them sat unused for ages, but they have come into their own for commuting use.

I have a pair of La Passione ones, and several pairs of the excellent Castelli Omloop ones, that come right down to my knee - they can either be paired with knee warmers, or with full leg warmers - tomorrow at 6am it will be omloops with knee warmers, and I'll be at the office a little after 7, then on the way home it's still not exactly summer, but the shorts on their own will likely be sufficient.

I did used to have a few pairs of 3/4, but sold them as I never used them, I much prefer the thermal shorts and knee or leg warmers, just seems so much more flexible, and no less effective.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

daniel_b said:

I have some thermal shorts that i wear quite often. I only get cold legs if its literally freezing, but i do get a cold bum, bits and bobs. So they're perfect for that. I don't ever wear leg warmers.

I also have some 3/4s and full length thermals and pick which to suit for the temp.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • daniel_b
    edited October 2021
    @seanoconn , I don't have any personal experience of these, but Decathlon certainly have a raft of options at reasonable looking prices.

https://decathlon.co.uk/browse/c0-sports/c1-cycling/c3-cycling-leg-arm-and-neck-warmers/_/N-1vprqt9

Some of you will be surprised to hear I have 2 pairs in the below colour scheme ;)

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18