115th Il Lombardia, 2021- Como - Bergamo 239km **Spoilers**

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,503
    Masnada about to catch Pogacar.
  • LOL
    Masnada now working with Pogacar.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • TheBigBean
    It's hard to see how Masnada can win this. It's also hard to see the group 40s back catching up.

• Behind and it's: The Egos Have Landed. :D
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    edited October 2021
    Masnada has to have a decent chance if he lets Pog do 90%
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • TheBigBean
    The chasers worked together for a couple of kms and got the gap down to 25s. Then they all stopped. Back to 45s.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    Jumbo Visma messing this up. They should be working rather than have two blokes sat doing nothing.
  • DeVlaeminck
    I'd be getting Allaphilippe to close it a bit keep Pog working
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873
    edited October 2021

Well Pog has sat on the front ever since Masnada caught up with him.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Pog looking so comfortable chasing Masnada's attack there
  • Dorset_Boy
    Potg takes it, but great ride from Masnada. His descent off the lst climb was awesome
  • Dorset_Boy
    Yates outsprints Mr Boring for third!
  • TheBigBean
    3. Yates 4 Roglic
  • Yates roglifies Roglic for 3rd
  • As if Masnada stood a chance there.

Enough of Bergamo. Back to the Como finish please.
    That wasn't a great race.

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645
    No wonder they told him to sit on...weak sprint from maznada ... Must be annoying for him
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    Hilarious mugging at the end with Roglic and Yates going straight through and Yates using Roglic as the perfect lead out while the rest of the group that dropped them on the climb just watched it happen.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Group behind getting mugged for third because they were looking at each other is an excellent metaphor for the race...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Masnada has been in great form recently. Pog did a good job of neutralising any risk on the final climb by getting in front on the narrow section and there was just not enough distance to the top once Masnada was able to try (Pog dealt with it easily anyway).
  • Pross
    Glad Yates took third, aside from being my PTP pick he was the only one who tried to keep the chase going when the others inexplicably started messing about with the gap coming down fast.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    2 monuments and a Tour

I'm away to post in Rick's WVA thread
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069

As if Masnada stood a chance there.

Enough of Bergamo. Back to the Como finish please.
    That wasn't a great race.

I agree, the Ghisallo (from Bellagio), then the Sormano, Civiglio and San Fermo finish produces much more dynamic racing.
  • DeVlaeminck

Well Pog has sat on the front ever since Masnada caught up with him.
    Yeah I meant more to stop him soft pedalling to recover for the sprint - but with hindsight it didn't look like Masnada had a hope did it.

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited October 2021
    Pross said:

Odd to be watching the roll out of Lomardia. Dan Lloyd and Rob Htach on comms again.
    Eurosport have played a blinder keeping Kirby away from the WCRR, Paris-Roubaix and now Lombardia.

Are they easing him out as it moves more to GCN than ES? He seems to have been on less this season but that could just be me watching more races I don't normally see.
    We can but dream.

I switched on today with about 200k to go.
    I didn't know who was due to be commentating, but had seen a post on here suggesting they were 'saving' kirby for this race.

Lloyd was talking when I tuned in, and no one interrupted him.....
    There was even a bit of a gap..... before Hatch began talking.
    I was still worried that they would relay to kirby for the last half or something, but no such fate awaited us.

Great combo I thought, knowledgable, easy chat, observations and discussions.

Really helped me through my 3 hour turbo session with the last 125km :#

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,216
    3 hour turbo session?

Are you ok?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069

3 hour turbo session?

Are you ok?

On a beautiful autumn afternoon too (at least in the south east)!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,194
    For all the talk that Pogacar killed the race, the chasers got him back to 25" after the descent (Vingegaard had been doing all the work, but Roglic saw he couldn't do it alone and came to the front, the others began to come through then), but then somebody attacked and blew up any cooperation. Who was it, I really couldn't see?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • For all the talk that Pogacar killed the race, the chasers got him back to 25" after the descent (Vingegaard had been doing all the work, but Roglic saw he couldn't do it alone and came to the front, the others began to come through then), but then somebody attacked and blew up any cooperation. Who was it, I really couldn't see?

For all the talk that Pogacar killed the race, the chasers got him back to 25" after the descent (Vingegaard had been doing all the work, but Roglic saw he couldn't do it alone and came to the front, the others began to come through then), but then somebody attacked and blew up any cooperation. Who was it, I really couldn't see?

Who has been saying that?
    He seemed to have made the winning move (which, in fact, he had) but until he attacked the race had been in almost permanent neutral.
    At least he gave us 40kms worth watching, out of the 240km race.

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,194

Who has been saying that?
    He seemed to have made the winning move (which, in fact, he had) but until he attacked the race had been in almost permanent neutral.
    At least he gave us 40kms worth watching, out of the 240km race.

I thought it was here, might have been twitter...
    It wasn't a criticism of Pog, just the claim that when he goes he goes, race over. I thought it a little overblown, though clearly if you let him get a gap you're going to have to work bloody hard to bring him back.

Still want to know who attacked the chasers.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Dorset_Boy
    Yates rolled through to the front to take his turn and the rest of the group just sat up. No one attacked, but Yates by maintaining his speed opened up a small gap.