saturday accelerating pineapples magnetohydrodynamically to relativistic velocities

2»

Comments

• hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Work from home:

Relax away from the other buggers (or a quick post lunch snooze)

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,416
    hopkinb said:

@seanoconn what's the avatar? I like. Looks like Wittering. Has a touch of the Turner about the sky.

How the shit did you get that! It is West Wittering. Moody sky, beach and sea, heavy on the impasto, full of character ticks all my boxes. Fortunate to have this on my wall.

https://david-atkins.com/
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

I took advantage of a spare hour to brush up the leaves and assorted cr@p in the garden in preparation for a pre-autumn/winter pressure wash and algae treatment for the slabs. Pressure washer is ancient, and was leaking some sort of hydrocarbon and smoking a bit, so discretion won over valour, so I gave up as it was raining anyway. Now looking for pressure washers online.

See, this is the Olympic standard mundanity you've not been treated to.

Off to V's tomorrow, weather permitting, for some fettling and hopefully a short spin and a slice of cake.

I pressure washed my foot once. I don’t recommend it.
    Did it get rid of the smell?
    H³ missed the saga of the frying pans, we needed H³ for that.
    Oooh, what did I miss? Either someone burned themselves, bought some pans that wouldn't work on induction, or spent a small fortune and was mocked.

If the latter, then join the club. I had some expensive aluminium alloy pans for my first wedding that lasted 19 years and were still in good nick, but don't work on the induction hob. Now I have heavy gauge triple ply base stainless steel saucepans and sauté pan, and a non-stick wok/chef's pan thing and a large and small frying pan from the same range. I don't expect to replace the stainless stuff, I think the non-stick stuff is guaranteed by the manufacturer for 10 years. It's all hand washed, no metal tools in the non-stick.

None of this was cheap.

I've had my knives 22 years. I have a fallkniven double sided (diamond/sapphire ceramic) bench stone to keep them tip-top. Again, hand-wash only.

You don't want to know how much my "best" wine glasses are..., though I don't believe in keeping things for best, and they get used frequently.
    Oh god yes! Thanks for reminding me V. Hop is probably the only person who might appreciate my pans.

Mocked, ridiculed, treated with derision etc. Ok, to the untrained eye of these philistines, £400 for 3 frying pans might have sounded excessive.
    Sounds about right for some lifetime pans. If you resent the £400 quid, it'll eat away at your soul. If they bring you cooking joy, it's money well spent. Plus, I expect they're pretty heavy at that price, so can double as a home defence device.

I was in a cutlery/kitchen place up in Derbyshire dodging the incessant fcuking rain. £200 for an olivewood fruit bowl. I sh!t you not. If you put it in that context, you've got yourself a bargain.
    Just wasted a fair bit on olive wood utensils to match the pans.

It does give me pleasure reaching for a beautiful carbon steel, Teflon free pan that I’ve painstakingly seasoned (rubbed with oil and heated to smoking point) that I can hand to my grandchildren one day to give to their robot butlers to cook with.
  • hopkinb
    seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

@seanoconn what's the avatar? I like. Looks like Wittering. Has a touch of the Turner about the sky.

How the censored did you get that! It is West Wittering. Moody sky, beach and sea, heavy on the impasto, full of character ticks all my boxes. Fortunate to have this on my wall.

I was there for a couple of nights earlier in the year. You recommended a restaurant on the beach that was excellent.

I like these sea/sky paintings where the artist goes heavy on the paint, you get a feel for the place, especially if it's a place you love. You get a few good ones like this in amongst the workaday stuff in St Ives.

Mrs H³ and I are looking for something for the front room, our tastes don't quite overlap, will show her this guy's site though.

Ta.
  • hopkinb
    seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

I took advantage of a spare hour to brush up the leaves and assorted cr@p in the garden in preparation for a pre-autumn/winter pressure wash and algae treatment for the slabs. Pressure washer is ancient, and was leaking some sort of hydrocarbon and smoking a bit, so discretion won over valour, so I gave up as it was raining anyway. Now looking for pressure washers online.

Off to V's tomorrow, weather permitting, for some fettling and hopefully a short spin and a slice of cake.

Oooh, what did I miss? Either someone burned themselves, bought some pans that wouldn't work on induction, or spent a small fortune and was mocked.

If the latter, then join the club. I had some expensive aluminium alloy pans for my first wedding that lasted 19 years and were still in good nick, but don't work on the induction hob. Now I have heavy gauge triple ply base stainless steel saucepans and sauté pan, and a non-stick wok/chef's pan thing and a large and small frying pan from the same range. I don't expect to replace the stainless stuff, I think the non-stick stuff is guaranteed by the manufacturer for 10 years. It's all hand washed, no metal tools in the non-stick.

None of this was cheap.

I've had my knives 22 years. I have a fallkniven double sided (diamond/sapphire ceramic) bench stone to keep them tip-top. Again, hand-wash only.

You don't want to know how much my "best" wine glasses are..., though I don't believe in keeping things for best, and they get used frequently.
    Oh god yes! Thanks for reminding me V. Hop is probably the only person who might appreciate my pans.

Mocked, ridiculed, treated with derision etc. Ok, to the untrained eye of these philistines, £400 for 3 frying pans might have sounded excessive.
    Sounds about right for some lifetime pans. If you resent the £400 quid, it'll eat away at your soul. If they bring you cooking joy, it's money well spent. Plus, I expect they're pretty heavy at that price, so can double as a home defence device.

I was in a cutlery/kitchen place up in Derbyshire dodging the incessant fcuking rain. £200 for an olivewood fruit bowl. I sh!t you not. If you put it in that context, you've got yourself a bargain.

It does give me pleasure reaching for a beautiful carbon steel, Teflon free pan that I’ve painstakingly seasoned (rubbed with oil and heated to smoking point) that I can hand to my grandchildren one day to give to their robot butlers to cook with.
    You spend your cash on things you love and/or utilise. If the Venn diagram is a single circle, even better.
  • seanoconn
    hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

How the censored did you get that! It is West Wittering. Moody sky, beach and sea, heavy on the impasto, full of character ticks all my boxes. Fortunate to have this on my wall.

I was there for a couple of nights earlier in the year. You recommended a restaurant on the beach that was excellent.

I like these sea/sky paintings where the artist goes heavy on the paint, you get a feel for the place, especially if it's a place you love. You get a few good ones like this in amongst the workaday stuff in St Ives.

Mrs H³ and I are looking for something for the front room, our tastes don't quite overlap, will show her this guy's site though.

Ta.
    There’s many more of his works on the web if you like his style and I’m sure it wouldn’t compromise his artistic integrity too greatly if he were asked to recreate something specific for you.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    hopkinb said:

Work from home:

v v nice crib H3.

This was Casa MF this afternoon, Paris/Roubaix 2001 on the telly.

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

None of this was cheap.

You spend your cash on things you love and/or utilise. If the Venn diagram is a single circle, even better.
    agree - spend your money on a few things you love rather than lots of mediocre.
  • hopkinb
    MattFalle said:

hopkinb said:

Work from home:

v v nice crib H3.

Grazie MF's. That's just my "new" little bit. Has been the kid's nursery (the pink hanger on the door handle is from when it was Issie's room seemingly a lifetime ago), then Mini's nursery, then a cr@p store, then a cr@p store with a desk, and now a refuge for a middle aged man.

You have got space, a real fire, a snoozing hound. Looks lovely. I'll be round in 20. I have bresaola and langhe nebbiolo. Though to be honest I've eaten most of the meat, and there's at most a glass and a half of the wine. I'll call in at Edwyn's on the way..
  • hopkinb

My snoozing hound.

Needs a groom. Can't get one until November.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    hopkinb said:

I got a compact 60psi Bosch unit waaay back. It's still going. Does the job.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • MattFalle
    hopkinb said:

MattFalle said:

hopkinb said:

Work from home:

v v nice crib H3.

Grazie MF's. That's just my "new" little bit. Has been the kid's nursery (the pink hanger on the door handle is from when it was Issie's room seemingly a lifetime ago), then Mini's nursery, then a cr@p store, then a cr@p store with a desk, and now a refuge for a middle aged man.

You have got space, a real fire, a snoozing hound. Looks lovely. I'll be round in 20. I have bresaola and langhe nebbiolo. Though to be honest I've eaten most of the meat, and there's at most a glass and a half of the wine. I'll call in at Edwyn's on the way..
    keep the hanger there. it's nice.
  • MattFalle
    pinno said:

hopkinb said:

I got a compact 60psi Bosch unit waaay back. It's still going. Does the job.
    is it a compact unit because you have compact hands?
  • pinno
    MattFalle said:

...is it a compact unit because you have compact hands?

You cheeky basket. My hands are strong and they are not small and sweaty and I love squeezing the hands of people in suits and watching their facial expressions. Especially if I don't like them.
    Of course, C19 has put paid to that malarkey temporarily.

• pinno
    edited October 2021
    Oh and talking of ^^ Lizzie at P-R: what a fantastic win. My only regret was tuning in with 30 mins to go and hearing that she attacked 80km's out.
  • seanoconn
    edited October 2021
    pinno said:

MattFalle said:

You cheeky basket. My hands are strong and they are not small.

Remember that time you battled a huge Marlin of the coast off Cuba for three days and nights and when you finally landed him the sharks ate him! Bummer.
  • hopkinb
    MattFalle said:

hopkinb said:

MattFalle said:

hopkinb said:

Work from home:

v v nice crib H3.

Thanks...The hanger will go with me wherever I go. I have a few of her little things, toys, special clothes. Mini still has the kids ikea poäng chair that issie used before she didn't have the strength to use it any more. It's a home for spare soft toys.
  • MattFalle
    hopkinb said:

MattFalle said:

hopkinb said:

MattFalle said:

hopkinb said:

Work from home:

v v nice crib H3.

Thanks...The hanger will go with me wherever I go. I have a few of her little things, toys, special clothes. Mini still has the kids ikea poäng chair that issie used before she didn't have the strength to use it any more. It's a home for spare soft toys.
    no words mec, just total respect.

• pinno
    seanoconn said:

pinno said:

MattFalle said:

You cheeky basket. My hands are strong and they are not small.

Remember that time you battled a huge Marlin of the coast off Cuba for three days and nights and when you finally landed him the sharks ate him! Bummer.
    The old man and the sea...

I'm not old you cheeky fecker.