Women's Hour Record

2»

Comments

• joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338

joe2019 said:

The guy commentating was absolutely atrocious. Kept stumbling over his words and then just spent the last minute or so shouting "Come on Dan!"

agree, he was terrible
    In fairness, it's his second language and he was supposed to be supported by two brits but the connection didn't work. Pretty thankless job to commentate on track riding for an hour on your own.
    I would have prepared... for example you could find what were Wiggins' distance at 10, 20, 30 ,40 and 50 minutes to compare... you could look at others too... Dowsett, for example.

Could have spent a few minutes with background on the hour record and the British equivalent... could talk about the rules, how the last lap works...

Some wrote books on the hour record, it's a matter of doing a bit of prep-work instead of just shouting like a lunatic and mentioning HUUB every 2 minutes

Beggars belief you didn't get the gig.
    Beggars belief they didn't find anyone who knew a thing or two about the Hour record.
    Obviously Dr Hutch would have been an awesome choice

The commentary was appropriate for the level of interest it harnessed I guess.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    For some reason when I see the hour record even though I know in reality it is seriously impressive part of me feels it should be quicker. I think it's down to it being around the same speed as the British 25 mile TT speed and quicker Tour TT stages of a similar distance whereas in my head it should be possible to ride much quicker on a track where you can keep a consistent pace and don't have to worry about weather conditions. But then I also know from experience that keeping a constant effort can be much harder than having mini rests with higher efforts.
  • Pross said:

For some reason when I see the hour record even though I know in reality it is seriously impressive part of me feels it should be quicker. I think it's down to it being around the same speed as the British 25 mile TT speed and quicker Tour TT stages of a similar distance whereas in my head it should be possible to ride much quicker on a track where you can keep a consistent pace and don't have to worry about weather conditions. But then I also know from experience that keeping a constant effort can be much harder than having mini rests with higher efforts.

IME fast TT courses tend to be on dual carriages, when a lorry passes you get a drift that raises the speed by a couple of mph... if you are fast already and manage to take advantage of that free lift for longer, you can get to insane speeds... 40 mph or so, which you can't really hit on the boards, where you have to earn every mph. Also, the really fast courses are basically slightly downhill.
    Finally, the difference in power required to go from 50 km/h (TT speed at the top end of the field) to 54.7 is extraordinary.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Sure, I understand the errors in my thinking it's just when I see the number it never jumps out as being the huge effort it is.

Competition record for a 25 in the UK is actually just over 56kph by the way (I know the course well though and it is far from a good measure).
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Pross said:

Suspect if Ganna puts his mind to it he could move the record forward considerably using all the latest kit.
  • mrb123 said:

Pross said:

Suspect if Ganna puts his mind to it he could move the record forward considerably using all the latest kit.
    There is that too... the Hour Record is often an afterthought at the end of a busy season, not a lot of money in it... which is why some fairly average riders have managed over time to produce better times than superstars. It remains to be seen whether Ganna will find the time to do it properly or it will simply be an end of season thing cobbled up in a few weeks
    left the forum March 2023