Women's Hour Record

JimD666
JimD666 Posts: 1,900
Congratulations to Joss Lowden for beating the old record by 400m

Stunning ride.

Comments

• Awesome... interesting to see what Bigham will do tomorrow...
    left the forum March 2023
  • 48.405 km (took an hour ;) )
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Did I see Bigham is going for the national record as opposed to the world record....?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Yes. He has to be a “member” of the official doping pool that currently all world tour riders are members of. Ribble obviously are not so hence can’t attempt the world record. There was talk somewhere that he could’ve joined the pool at a cost but decided not too. (Probably not explained it well)
  • daniel_b said:

Did I see Bigham is going for the national record as opposed to the world record....?

Yep, due to cash required to get on biological passport
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    daniel_b said:

Surely you go as hard as you can?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Also, it says that he must not be expecting to set a new World Record distance
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    Presumably British record is Wiggins so if he beats that he'll not be far off the world record
  • If the British record ends up further than the world record that's not really very satisfactory.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,070
    davieb78 said:

48.405 km (took an hour ;) )

What was her average speed?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    andyp said:

davieb78 said:

48.405 km (took an hour ;) )

What was her average speed?
    In post-Brexit terms, a tiny bit over 4 furlongs per minute.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    It would cost £8000 approx to independently join the testing pool to be able to be counted for the UCI world record if your not a WT etc rider.
    LeCol/Drops footed the bill for Joss apparently.
    I read Dan has beaten Wiggins’s record in training so he won’t be far off a world record time. Shame if he does and it isn’t.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • notquite6foot
    notquite6foot Posts: 248
    edited September 2021
    Also the first woman to ride more than 30 miles in the Hour, even if you include the 1996 "best human effort" ride that Longo did in Mexico City.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Great ride, amazing how well she looked afterwards
  • JimD666
    bm5 said:

Great ride, amazing how well she looked afterwards

Yeah "It wasn't too bad" and "I could of tried harder" !? :o
  • Half way, he's doing 53.9 km/h off the mark, but not by much
  • JimD666

Half way, he's doing 53.9 km/h off the mark, but not by much

Is the only feed the youtube one? No time/distance covered that I can see, just the target distance.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    JimD666 said:

Half way, he's doing 53.9 km/h off the mark, but not by much

Is the only feed the youtube one? No time/distance covered that I can see, just the target distance.
    They said something about camera problems which meant they couldn't show the scoreboard.
    54.724 km apparently.
  • Looked like Bigham did over 54.7km, so it's a British record.
  • yep, 54.724... awesome. And good idea to save 8 grand... he'll go for the Hour next year, with some sponsors, I would assume now!
  • The guy commentating was absolutely atrocious. Kept stumbling over his words and then just spent the last minute or so shouting "Come on Dan!"
  • The guy commentating was absolutely atrocious. Kept stumbling over his words and then just spent the last minute or so shouting "Come on Dan!"

agree, he was terrible

agree, he was terrible
    In fairness, it's his second language and he was supposed to be supported by two brits but the connection didn't work. Pretty thankless job to commentate on track riding for an hour on your own.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,178
    edited October 2021

The guy commentating was absolutely atrocious. Kept stumbling over his words and then just spent the last minute or so shouting "Come on Dan!"

agree, he was terrible
    In fairness, it's his second language and he was supposed to be supported by two brits but the connection didn't work. Pretty thankless job to commentate on track riding for an hour on your own.
    I would have prepared... for example you could find what were Wiggins' distance at 10, 20, 30 ,40 and 50 minutes to compare... you could look at others too... Dowsett, for example.

Could have spent a few minutes with background on the hour record and the British equivalent... could talk about the rules, how the last lap works...

Some wrote books on the hour record, it's a matter of doing a bit of prep-work instead of just shouting like a lunatic and mentioning HUUB every 2 minutes

• JimD666
    At least he looked like he'd put some effort in. :D
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    edited October 2021

The guy commentating was absolutely atrocious. Kept stumbling over his words and then just spent the last minute or so shouting "Come on Dan!"

agree, he was terrible
    I would have prepared... for example you could find what were Wiggins' distance at 10, 20, 30 ,40 and 50 minutes to compare... you could look at others too... Dowsett, for example.

Could have spent a few minutes with background on the hour record and the British equivalent... could talk about the rules, how the last lap works...

Some wrote books on the hour record, it's a matter of doing a bit of prep-work instead of just shouting like a lunatic and mentioning HUUB every 2 minutes

Beggars belief you didn't get the gig.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

agree, he was terrible

tbh, he could have just read the Wikipedia entry like some hour record filibuster kinda thang.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    edited October 2021
    The whole You Tube thing was obviously low budget but, shame that was all you took away from the thing :lol:

Joss and Dan have been superb - it’s really taken the cover off the record I think . Wiggins took all that careful prep and race avoidance etc - those two were racing a cobbled Worlds less than a week ago! Brilliant :)
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Dan Bigham bearing Wiggins shows how much technology has moved on. Bigham has said himself that he wouldn't be within 50 watts or something of Wiggins and it would be all down to aerodynamics.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • joe2019 said:

agree, he was terrible

Beggars belief you didn't get the gig.
    Beggars belief they didn't find anyone who knew a thing or two about the Hour record.
    Obviously Dr Hutch would have been an awesome choice