Road bike buying advice for newbie

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    And you don't know when another suitable bike will be available. It could be many months.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh said:

And you don't know when another suitable bike will be available. It could be many months.

Bitten the bullet. Reserved the canondale, getting measured and fitted on Saturday and hopefully take it away and get out for a spin. Looking forward to it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Good work
  • Good work

Cheers, can’t wait. Although them trying to sell me over priced accessories will be irritating. When I went in he was talking about pedals in the £90+ range. £20-25 on Amazon. Not sure how much difference I would see other than in the wallet!!
  • dawesie01 said:

I think weight of the bike concerns me more than hydro v mech discs, I want it to be as light as possible for the price point. Current MTB is 16.5kg so want as much of a saving on that as possible.

Which is why you should get rim brakes. A cheapish disc brake bike will weigh more and without hydro brakes may actually have worse braking.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • My brother asked me the same question and I steered him towards a Cannondale. Now, I'm actually a bit envious of his tidy carbon Synapse.
    I've enjoyed following this thread. I love a happy ending.
  • dawesie01 said:

I think weight of the bike concerns me more than hydro v mech discs, I want it to be as light as possible for the price point. Current MTB is 16.5kg so want as much of a saving on that as possible.

Which is why you should get rim brakes. A cheapish disc brake bike will weigh more and without hydro brakes may actually have worse braking.
    Much more? Are we talking a material amount or just a few grams? Too late now, have opted for the discs.
  • My brother asked me the same question and I steered him towards a Cannondale. Now, I'm actually a bit envious of his tidy carbon Synapse.
    I've enjoyed following this thread. I love a happy ending.

Good stuff. Carbon may come in the future for me. Hoping the step from a 15 yo MTB to the canondale will be a welcome upgrade.

I’ll post a review once I’ve been for a spin or two.
  • Nice one OP, I think it's a good decision, you'd have regretted it had you missed out on the Cannondale.

Hoping the step from a 15 yo MTB to the canondale will be a welcome upgrade.

When I bought my first proper road bike 20 years ago I thought the same thing when compared to my old hybrid. I wasn't prepared for quite how responsive it would be, first ride out I really got a bit of speed up, lost control, hit the kerb and crashed into a hedge. Be careful out there 😂
  • dawesie01 said:

dawesie01 said:

Much more? Are we talking a material amount or just a few grams? Too late now, have opted for the discs.
    Yes saw that after I replied
  • dawesie01 said:

Good work

Cheers, can’t wait. Although them trying to sell me over priced accessories will be irritating. When I went in he was talking about pedals in the £90+ range. £20-25 on Amazon. Not sure how much difference I would see other than in the wallet!!
    Jokes aside, any flat pedal recommendations? Expensive shop so they’ll try to sell me them for £90+, which I can’t and won’t do. Will also try to sell me cycling shoes but, ultimately, that’s out of scope and budget currently. Want to ride it with normal shoes and pedals to get used to it before making that jump, which can be done after another couple of paydays!

What should I look for in a flat pedal and where from? Amazon as good as anywhere for budget pedals?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Use the pedals off your mountain bike.
  • rick_chasey
    Might come with some shoe cages?
  • webboo said:

Use the pedals off your mountain bike.

I did think that. To be fair I’ve just had to replace my mtb pedals and got a perfectly good set (set below) for £11 so I may just buy another set (still want to use the mtb occasionally and don’t want to constantly chop and change pedals) to start with for the road bike. I suspect the fit is the same.

zonkie Bicycle Cycling Bike Pedals, Plastic Bicycle Pedals for MTB and Road Bike, Black, 9/16 Inch https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078WRMFXL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_1EZBNTDJ9ENCTT0F54D4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
  • webboo

What are shoe cages.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,804
    edited September 2021
    webboo said:

What are shoe cages.
    Glad you asked as I have a pair of pedals like below in the loft that apparently go for £35 on the bay. 😎

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    It’s how roadies used to attach their feet to pedals
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    If you buy the right bike* (*read: frame) now, then you don't even need to "upgrade" to carbon fibre when you have some more money in your pocket - that'd be better served going to a wheel upgrade.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Oh. Just seen you went for the Cannondale. Good work!

(point still stands though :wink: )
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • webboo

It’s how roadies used to attach their feet to pedals

You mean toe clips. I thought you rode a bike and were knowledgeable about cycling ;)
  • After much procrastination I picked up my new bike on Saturday and wanted to take it for a spin, until the heavens opened all afternoon so decided against it! Probably won’t get out on it until tomorrow so in the meantime I’d like some tips on maintenance and cleaning (mostly drivetrain related) so I can start as I mean to go on. Nice and shiny and new now so want to keep it that way.

Tips welcomed!
  • rick_chasey
    wiping with a rag is helpful. When you lubricate with specific bike chain lubricant, make sure you wipe the excess off to avoid it collecting more dirt than desired.
  • wiping with a rag is helpful. When you lubricate with specific bike chain lubricant, make sure you wipe the excess off to avoid it collecting more dirt than desired.

Cheers. Any specific lubricant? Appreciate it’s a google search but that’ll give me a million answers so may as well ask folk in the know!
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,423
    dawesie01 said:

wiping with a rag is helpful. When you lubricate with specific bike chain lubricant, make sure you wipe the excess off to avoid it collecting more dirt than desired.

Cheers. Any specific lubricant? Appreciate it’s a google search but that’ll give me a million answers so may as well ask folk in the know!
    I'm using this now. It seems very good. It's clean and lasts a long time even in the wet.

https://fenwicksbike.com/product/chain-lube/

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• rick_chasey
    Mucoff is fine. I tend to use wet weather lubricant as it doesn't wash off as quickly.
  • Defblade
    Defblade Posts: 140

dawesie01 said:

I'm using this now. It seems very good. It's clean and lasts a long time even in the wet.

https://fenwicksbike.com/product/chain-lube/

I've been using the "professional" version. It's bloomin' good, lasts ages, seems to ignore rain; just need to leave it a few hours for it to set-up (I try and give it at least over night). When you notice you can hear the chain a little bit, it's time for a clean and top-up, but that will be a while.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I thought these days we were all meant to split the chain, follow a 3 stage degreasing protocol then bathe it overnight in liquid wax - repeat every 200 miles (or less if wet).
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

I thought these days we were all meant to split the chain, follow a 3 stage degreasing protocol then bathe it overnight in liquid wax - repeat every 200 miles (or less if wet).

Don't forget the sonic bath 🤪
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,935
    edited October 2021
    Wet lube was invented by the devil. Attracts crap, leaves your chain black, and is the source of many a mamil / cat 4 tattoo. If you're commuting in all weathers then maybe.

If not, then a dry lube such as Squirt. Just ensure you have applied it the night before.

I'd also suggest buying a chain whip and cassette tool to enable you to remove your cassette once in a while to clean it properly.
    Baby wipes are great for cleaning too.