Road bike buying advice for newbie

124»

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,745
    Baby wipes leave a residue.
    Won't affect a drive chain but will detract from a nice paint job.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Thanks all. How often to clean the chain? Not after every ride?!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,606
    edited October 2021
    People get very anal about it. I tend to clean it when I notice it’s not running smoothly. Some will say that’s too late but life’s too short
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    Don't listen to that guff about dry lube. I use that on my summer bike when there is 0% chance of rain. I got caught out once on a 60 miler very hill ride and an unexpected thunderstorm washed all my dry lube off my chain and the remaining 45 miles were painful screeches coming off my chain as it merrily wore away!

Fenwicks is the best I've tried over all the years of looking after the family's bikes. Don't bother with the Pro version. Standard is fine.

Run the chain through some baby wipes every other week. Apply a drop of lube to each link. Turn crank 15 times. Wipe off excess lube. Ride. Dont worry.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    edited October 2021
    dawesie01 said:

Thanks all. How often to clean the chain? Not after every ride?!

It really depends on you, what the ride was like, and how much abuse you're willing to throw at your bike. In the end, you'll find a rythm that suits you.

The main thing to remember is that grit kills bikes. Mud's not great, either. If you have access to a hose, a quick wash after a wet ride, followed by a half-arsed attempt at drying the drivetrain will make things last _much_ longer. On weekend rides, it's a no-brainer. On commuters... well, as Rick said, life's too short.
  • Finally took the new bike out for a spin this morning and absolutely loved it. Why have I not had a road bike before?! 😂
    Handling feels so good, and the speed compared to a MTB - wow!