Dragon Ride - Getting over a cough

Hello all,

Looking for a bit of advice. I'm doing the Dragon Ride on the 26th of Sep - 205km. My training has been gong well up to this point, would have liked to have done a few longer rides but the legs were feeling good!
Since last tuesday ive had a nasty cold, which went to my chest on Thursday. I havent ridden since then but managed a hour on the turbo last night which was very low effort and just turning the legs over. My chest seems to be improving but i know im not gonna be able to push it too hard.

My question is - what can i realistically look to achieve over the next 10 - 11 days? Has anyone else suffered the same as me and how did you fare? Any tips on what i can do to help pre race?

Thanks,
Tom

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Nothing you do in the next couple of weeks is going to make much difference to your fitness levels one way or the other, so I would just concentrate on improving your health up until the date and keep turning the legs over as often or whenever you can.

BTW - it's not a 'race'.
  • If you're still suffering from it, do less than you think you can. Training while ill is more likely to be detrimental to your enjoyment on the day, rather than helpful.
  • Nothing you do in the next couple of weeks is going to make much difference to your fitness levels one way or the other, so I would just concentrate on improving your health up until the date and keep turning the legs over as often or whenever you can.

BTW - it's not a 'race'.

:D That should say pre ride not pre race! Its gonna be a long day! If i can turn the legs over on the turbo, is there any sort of duration i should try? Example - is a very low intensity 2 hour have any benefit over a 1 hour?

Tom
  • General advice is that if you are feeling symptoms below the neck (sore throat, coughing etc), don't do anything until the symptoms go.
  • Example - is a very low intensity 2 hour have any benefit over a 1 hour?

Not really, just do what you can manage. As has been pointed out above, any training you do at this stage is not going to make much difference. 12 days out, your tapering period is more important, which is probably handy as you should be doing less volume and intensity anyway.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,862
    edited September 2021
    I certainly found when I had a bad cold, getting on the bike either outside or on the turbo for a gentle ride, and getting (if outside) all that fresh air through my lungs, seemed to help me get over it more quickly.

Outside - 2-3 hour ride, inside 1-2 hours (for me anyway)

Could be nothing in it/placebo effect, but it seemed to help me recover quicker, possibly because you are out on your bike you are happier anyway, so maybe a happier person recovers more quickly!

Absolutely no hard efforts though, super steady, and enjoy the ride.

If you can only turbo, then maybe watch something to take your mind off it, as it's not very interesting just spinning along on a turbo imho.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b said:

I certainly found when I had a bad cold, getting on the bike either outside or on the turbo for a gentle ride, and getting (if outside) all that fresh air through my lungs, seemed to help me get over it more quickly.

I have found this as well, even just taking the dogs out for a walk I feel better.

The problem I have is that where i live is very hilly and there isn't a direction i can go in order to have an 'easy ride'. I'll have to stick to the turbo i think just so i cant over exert myself, and just keep it nice and easy.

• General advice is that if you are feeling symptoms below the neck (sore throat, coughing etc), don't do anything until the symptoms go.

This is the advice ive been reading on the internet, hence the week off. What concerned me was if i continue with this it could be 2 - 3 weeks off the bike before the event!
  • Don't train hard whilst suffering from a chest infection. I tried to train through a chest infection many years ago and ended up in hospital for a week being treated for a pulmonary embolism in each lung. The most painful thing I have ever experienced however Morphine is great stuff :D The doctors could only think the likely cause was training too hard whilst having the chest infection. I was off work for two months and on medication for 6 months with regular blood tests and hospital checks.
    Not worth the grief. B)