What's the feeling about creatine these days..?

I've noticed a few mentions of creatine recently as a potentially beneficial supplement in those types of performance/health related articles in the cycling magazines. British cycling also hints that it may be useful for certain types of people.

Surprisingly there hasn't been much mention of it in this forum since 2013, when the general consensus was that it had no real benefits for cyclists and some possible downsides.

As a 54 yo mostly vegetarian (I eat a little fish) who increasingly struggles with recovery after hard rides I do wonder if it might be worth a go.

Any recent experiences, good or bad?

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I’ve been using it recently however I use it for my rock climbing rather than my cycling. I’m 66 and veggie so I’m trying to retain muscle mass. I have used it in the past both then and now I don’t seem to get losses of performance. Which I have experienced in the past.
    I can usually do a hard ride (for me) and despite feeing tired the next day I can usually train quite hard climbing wise.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Good to know.

I don't want to be bothered with this ageing business, sounds like a bad idea. I'm totally with Dr. Hutch in this week's column in CW.. :D

• kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    I'll be honest, I have shovelled lots of sports supps over the years especially Creatine, BCAA and protein.

Creatine did nothing for me but BCAA and protein when I finally got the consumption correct did. I used to feel great
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    edited September 2021
    Not sure how effective creatine is as a supplement for cyclists as its biggest downside from a cyclists perspective, and not considering possible health side effects, is water retention and weight gain.

From what I've read it is still popular with weight lifters/ body builders because it does increase muscle size but through water retention, not muscle mass.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    works exactly as above - weight/mass gain through water retention.

great for summer holidays, can't really see a cycling reason for it tbh.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • neeb
    Yeah, that seems to be what most people have thought in the past. But then you see some recent research showing that it may just be good for general health (cognitive funtion, preventing age-related muscle loss), as well as recovery. So as someone who isn't really getting much in my diet you wonder..
  • MattFalle
    tbh though, its like glucosamine and cod liver and all that stuff.

doesn't do you any harm, some people say it does them good, so no reason not to.

i've used it in the past, used glucosamine a lot, never had anything bad happen and seemed to do good, so no reason not to.
  • neeb
    The thing is though, you don't really know if it's doing you good. I've been taking omega 3 and vitamin D for years. I'm (touch wood) a fairly fit and healthy 54yo. Maybe I'd be exactly the same if I'd never taken those things, or maybe I'd be fat with arthritis and heart disease. If something is just preventing decline you're probably never going to notice.
  • MattFalle
    its all about the placebo innit, and i don't mean the band.
  • webboo
    I have never had water retention or weight gain from using it.
    Red wine and pizza I gain weight from using them.
  • neeb
    webboo said:

Red wine and pizza I gain weight from using them.

But the performance gains definitely make up for that, though.. :)
  • MattFalle
    they also make you infintly more attractive to the opposite sex....
  • webboo
    I thought it was the wine goggles that made you think you were attractive to others. Rather than the other way round.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,417
    Creatine will make your sh!t and farts smell like 3 week old roadkill. I shared a room on holiday with a mate who was on it. It was really really really bad!!! :s

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.