5x5 Intervals

I am doing 5x5 Intervals where I ride 5 minutes at FTP with 5 minutes rest in-between intervals.

What sort of hr should I be seeing? At the end of my first interval my hr is 89% max and at the end of the last interval my hr is 92%max.

It feels challenging but I'm not sure how hard I should be working.

Comments

• Your HR is in a similar place to where mine would be when doing short FTP intervals. However, your HR will be skewed by your tiredness / freshness.

However, my Q back to you is what are you wanting to achieve with this session, and that really because you said ‘I’m not sure how hard I should be working?’

For me, as an individual session it seems quite vanilla not really targeting anything other than doing some work at FTP. But I don’t know how it sits with others in your training plan. My personal preference is to do shorter intervals like 5mins at a much harder intensity, with less rest, and my FTP intervals are generally a lot longer.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If you are training with power then your HR is mostly irrelevant, but it’s not surprising that it goes up during the session.

What are you actually training for?
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    edited September 2021
    5*5min VO2 max intervals would be a good workout to improve your FTP. I've attempted https://whatsonzwift.com/workouts/less-than-60-minutes-to-burn/the-gorby a few times, it's quite brutal if using honest current FTP data!

But 5*5mins FTP intervals should be well within your capabilities, if using a recent FTP test and you aren't injured or unwell. Ordinarily, there's not much benefit to that workout at all.

Heart rate % sounds about right, for me personally it's a little high, more like % I get from The Gorby.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • As above, it seems a waste of time, as far as training is concerned.
    The idea is that if you want to improve a particular figure, you need to work shorter times at a higher figure, so as suggested above, maybe a few minutes minutes in the VO2 max range.
    left the forum March 2023
  • kesa
    kesa Posts: 35
    Thanks everyone.

I don't have any particular goal except to maintain a certain level of cycling fitness. I guess raising my ftp is my goal. I'm not competitive so a vanilla workout is fine with me.

My ftp is rising. I feel stronger on the bike. I am no longer scared of hills or headwinds. I like the mental resilience the training is giving me.

The riding I currently do is one hard session on the trainer once a week and maybe a couple of 2 hour long rides. I also strength train once a week.

It's funny someone mentioned the gorby. This is actually where I got the idea!

• OP - your heart rate does seem to be a touch high for ftp sessions as has been suggested above.

I would disagree very slightly with some of the above with regards vo2 max intervals. Those intervals will certainly improve your anaerobic fitness and help your top end power/speed but not necessarily your aerobic fitness and ftp, which it seems is your goal.

It is dependent on your overall fitness and physiology though. Before I started lab testing I did a lot of vo2 type stuff combined with a lot of plodding around at too easy a pace. Lab tests showed I had good anaerobic fitness but poor aerobic fitness.

Doing a lot of steady state and sweet spot really helped improve ftp and overall aerobic fitness. For me this was 60-90 minute tempo rides outdoors, combined with 8-12 minute intervals on the turbo, anything from 80-95% of ftp.

This pushed up my ftp, as well as improving 1, 3 and 5 minute power without doing very much vo2 max interval work for a year or two.