Exercises for core (importantly upper body)

Hi,

I've got the perfect bike fit now but unfortunately my body is letting me down, I'm struggled to hold myself up, uppers arms ache at the back and my neck and shoulders really ache too (upper traps), I do tend to get aches at the sides of my torso on hills too.

So I'm looking for a set of exercises that I can do daily to help rid the pains and allow me to cycle further as my core is really letting me down.

Comments

• Ncovidius
    Ncovidius Posts: 229
    edited September 2021
    Do squats

/thread.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    Google is your friend. Plenty of exercise vids online. I prefer the ones with fit birds wearing lycra doing squats.

Squats won't help you here though. Look at this site for proper core work:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/RehabMyPatient/videos

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

Hi,

I've got the perfect bike fit now but unfortunately my body is letting me down, I'm struggled to hold myself up, uppers arms ache at the back and my neck and shoulders really ache too (upper traps), I do tend to get aches at the sides of my torso on hills too.

So I'm looking for a set of exercises that I can do daily to help rid the pains and allow me to cycle further as my core is really letting me down.

Ignore the troll above. He's due for his 14th consecutive forum ban sometime in the near future.

You claim you have the 'perfect' bike fit, but your post suggests otherwise. The perfect bike fit would probably not give you these issues. First thing to do would be to go back to your bike fitter.
  • Ncovidius
    Ncovidius Posts: 229
    edited September 2021
    Anyone who says that squats aren’t the answer doesn’t know what they are talking about.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=otzWCWpuW-A
    Watch this, do this, job jobbed.
    Although it says “for women” it holds equally for men. As per usual, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Here’s a more in depth ‘man centric’ version.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jDabzC3td28

Scroll to about 2 minutes 50 to see the specific bit about core muscles. You can thank me later, when you’re winning grand tour stages / surrounded by clunge, probably, or not, depending on your age / ambitions / freedoms.
  • "The Plank" to improve your core can't do any harm, same for tricep extensions. Although aching triceps could be a sign you are using the hoods with flat forearms for a decent aero position too much, instead of the less muscle fatiguing hand position of the drops with similar aero benefits.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • "The Plank" to improve your core can't do any harm, same for tricep extensions. Although aching triceps could be a sign you are using the hoods with flat forearms for a decent aero position too much, instead of the less muscle fatiguing hand position of the drops with similar aero benefits.

That’s true. There are far too many variables to even hazard a reasonable guess as to exactly where the OP’s problems lie, without an in depth consultation. However, accepted ‘core centric’ exercises are almost certainly going to help.
  • photonic69
    Ncovidius said:

Anyone who says that squats aren’t the answer doesn’t know what they are talking about.

Yeah, but he was specifically asking about upper body and core. Of course squats when done well will have an impact on core by the very virtue of holding yourself correctly, it won't target the problem area. Simple everyday things like holding yourself upright with good posture will help your core too. It's quite hard at first when you start doing that simple exercise. It sounds like he needs more of a holistic body conditioning - hence I recommended that web resource as each exercise will suggest other beneficial areas to work on as well. Head, neck, shoulders, delts, triceps, traps, lower back, abs, glutes, quads, hamstrings, calves are all going to help.

• Ncovidius said:

Yeah, but he was specifically asking about upper body and core. Of course squats when done well will have an impact on core by the very virtue of holding yourself correctly, it won't target the problem area. Simple everyday things like holding yourself upright with good posture will help your core too. It's quite hard at first when you start doing that simple exercise. It sounds like he needs more of a holistic body conditioning - hence I recommended that web resource as each exercise will suggest other beneficial areas to work on as well. Head, neck, shoulders, delts, triceps, traps, lower back, abs, glutes, quads, hamstrings, calves are all going to help.

Yep, agreed. It’s all good.

• imposter2.0
    edited September 2021
    Like I said above - ignore 'Ncovidiot' - 13 forum bans later and he's still rejoining and posting shiit on here.

Exercises will not cure fit issues. Although the best exercise for the muscles used in cycling is generally.....cycling. It doesn't get much more specific than that.
  • kesa
    kesa Posts: 35
    It takes time for the body to adapt to a new riding position so a certain amount of soreness is to be expected. How long ago was the bike fit?
  • Like I said above - ignore 'Ncovidiot' - 13 forum bans later and he's still rejoining and posting shiit on here

• Regardless, someone might learn something, you never know.

Rowing. Good crossover with cycling and if you do it right you develop a strong core and shoulders.

Rowers can't bench press for shit though, so do a few press ups.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Hi,

This should not be happening if you have the perfect bike fit. Lots of people are able to ride some distance with terrible positions on their bike. My 7 year old grandson can ride 15 miles with a saddle that’s far too low, he will not have it raised as he can’t get his feet on the ground. However he will finish a ride with no apparent aches and pains.
    If you are going from no cycling to 100 miles in a couple of rides then I could understand the above. If so the answer is ride more and build up.
  • If you are keen a cyclist did write a book of core exercises for cycling - it's called Core Advantage by Tom Danielson and it has exercises from the relatively easy up to really challenging stuff they I couldn't come close to doing.

I'd argue a bike fit should put you in a reasonably comfortable position for the body you have. Not set you up with a position that would work if you increase your core strength and endurance, improve your flexibility and make long term postural changes - because it might not be a weak core it could be some other reason you are getting pain and an adult human body is not infinitely malleable.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Might might might.

I'm in the school of thought that cycling isn't natural and requires adaptations. It is exercise and at the end of it something should feel tired. If you went to the extreme of doing a bike fit to make a non cyclist comfortable, bicycles would be shaped like armchairs. By extension, getting a bike that compensates for being an unfit noodle locks you into that position. Bike fitters would not say as much, but that's like asking a chiropractor if your back is okay.

We should be telling beginners to get a bike the right size, and empowering them to tweak the saddle height and wotnot. But beginners do not need professional bike fits. Nor is it some silver bullet to day long comfort.

No other sport does this in quite the same way. I mean if you get sore riding a horse when you try for the first time, do people at the stables say, ah, well, your horse is the wrong size.
  • hdow
    hdow Posts: 184
    Agree with Imposter & Webbo. Clearly hasn't had a 'perfect bike fit'. Go and get a better one and then come back with your 'core' questions if you have any. If you have then the advice remains to go and get a better bike fit. Sadly not all bike fitters are as good as the best
  • Might might might.

I'm in the school of thought that cycling isn't natural and requires adaptations. It is exercise and at the end of it something should feel tired. If you went to the extreme of doing a bike fit to make a non cyclist comfortable, bicycles would be shaped like armchairs. By extension, getting a bike that compensates for being an unfit noodle locks you into that position. Bike fitters would not say as much, but that's like asking a chiropractor if your back is okay.

We should be telling beginners to get a bike the right size, and empowering them to tweak the saddle height and wotnot. But beginners do not need professional bike fits. Nor is it some silver bullet to day long comfort.

No other sport does this in quite the same way. I mean if you get sore riding a horse when you try for the first time, do people at the stables say, ah, well, your horse is the wrong size.

Not sure if that is a response to me but nothing there I'd disagree with.

However IF you get a bike fit (is the OP a beginner) it should as far as possible put you in a position that is comfortable - not one that might be comfortable after 10,000 miles riding and 12 months of yoga.

I'd expect a decent bike fitter to give advice on any physical limitations that might stop a rider holding a position that might be preferable if they were able to hold it without discomfort.

• Some better bike fitters will give a number of revisits/tweaks after the initial fit.
    I recently had a fit admittedly relatively expensive, which gives me tweaks and adjustments for the length of time I own the bikes x2 which I had the fit for.
  • wrthompson88521FN8Ns
    edited September 2021
    Thanks for any advice so far, re the bike fit, I'm confident it's not a bike fit issue because no matter what combination of fits I'm getting the same issues. I used to cycle 100+ miles in a day and do 300 mile weeks with what would be classed as an Ill fitting position, I was around 8 to 10 years younger though.

The neck pain and traps pain effects me over 10 miles, in terms of ability of the bike , stamina and power etc.. I'd have myself more of 80 miles.

I've got neck pain and lots of knots around my upper traps and I'm been referred to a physio to look at my posture issues

I feel I have a very weak core, just holding my newborn 9lb baby son and trying to sit straight kills my back.

So in the now I'm wanting to improve my core strength and less faffing with the bike position. I can't wait for the physio before doing any exercise because the referral time is very, very long.

I've had 2 bike fits, one at pedal precision and one at Rapha in Manchester.

The guy at Rapha set my expectations that there is no magic bullet and he will be able to get my bike fit where it should be but any issues with my actuall body that's something for a physio.

My left leg is currently around 1cm shorter than my right, as I say, currently, and legs don't shrinks or grow as I get older, I've evidently developed some imbalance and running 6mm cleat wedges on the left.

It's with a great deal or certainty that it's not the bike it's me, of I went to that bike fitter in Richmond I am certain he can't cure my upper body issues on the bike considering these issues I have also appear off the bike, hence why I want to focus on core stretch (something I've never bothered to do)
  • But but what about a bike fit. If you are in pain bike fit fit fit bike doesn't compute.

------

Best advice, do another sport as well. One that uses your arms. Don't get drawn into the trap of trying to buy a solution. Swimming, rowing blah.
  • imposter2.0

I used to cycle 100+ miles in a day and do 300 mile weeks with what would be classed as an Ill fitting position,

Not trying to be funny, but you're saying you were comfortable in the 'ill fitting' position, and now you are uncomfortable in the 'perfect' position. You can see where this is going, can't you?

• A bike fit doesn't fix problem muscle groups though, if I've got problems with my neck, arms and back that effect me off the bike and they're present in the bike, it's bit a bike fit issue.

The guy I went to is reputable (Matt Hallam), I have no reason to dispute the bike fit, it's comparable to a bike fit I had in 2015 and I was flying then, the new bike fit has some changes. Both fits and pain is present. All the signs point to off the bike problems.

I'm not a beginner to cycling.

However when it comes to core , I am a beginner.
  • I used to cycle 100+ miles in a day and do 300 mile weeks with what would be classed as an Ill fitting position,

Not trying to be funny, but you're saying you were comfortable in the 'ill fitting' position, and now you are uncomfortable in the 'perfect' position. You can see where this is going, can't you?

Hang on, you TOLD him to get a bike fit. In fact that's what you tell everyone.

Does that mean you talk shit?
  • wrthompson88521FN8Ns
    edited September 2021

I used to cycle 100+ miles in a day and do 300 mile weeks with what would be classed as an Ill fitting position,

Check my post before this one.

I'm purely saying at one point, position wasn't an issue, I didn't bother with bike fit, and as time has gone on I have developed issues.

I had a bike fit in 2015, and I was going really well with that one, that same bike fit NOW does not work for me and the new bike fit with adjustments doesn't work.

The other bike fit I had in April before the latest also didn't work.

A bike fit I had at Paul Hewitt in Leyland didn't work.

Another bike fit I had here in Manchester didn't work.

The pains were still present
    The pains are present off the bike
    Sat down, my posture is weak
    I struggle to even sit up straight
    My traps are knotted

Riding the bike is an issue due to the above.

I've spent hundreds on bike fits, one gets to the point of realising they're not working and the past year I've spent messing with my bike position, it's 100% obvious it is not the bike and it's me.

I'll happily get another bike fit if you're willing to pay for me though?

• Ok in that case I'd suggest the ideal would be you take up yoga or pilates. Not my idea of fun but as you get older it may save you getting chronic pain related to poor posture.

If you don't want to go down that route though you could just see a sports physio/therapist and get them to do an assessment of where you are tight and where you are weak and they can recommend a set of exercises . I could tell you what the physio recommended me for my disc bulge but that may not be ideal for you.

• photonic69
    edited September 2021
    Pay to see a good sports physio. They’ll tailor a set of good exercises and stretching to target your problem areas. My physio gave me links to the videos in my previous post. Cost wise a good physio's about £55-60 for initial consultation and £40 per follow up appointment (this is what mine charges). Worth every penny. Severe shoulder pain meant I couldn’t ride. She fixed me and now I can. I still carry on with the exercises every other day. It keeps me strong and supple and my posture is vastly improved.

Good luck.

• imposter2.0

I'll happily get another bike fit if you're willing to pay for me though?

To be fair, I wouldn't even have sanctioned paying for the first one. But if you had paid for one that clearly didn't work, the first thing I would be doing is going back there.

It sounds to me as though your issues are broader and more complex than simply 'not being comfortable on a bike'. On that basis, I would be holding off on the core exercises etc until you've been properly diagnosed.

• OP - I would echo Imposter's comments and get a proper diagnosis. If you are experiencing pain and weakness to the extent you describe, undergoing a regime of core exercises without proper diagnosis could worsen the issue.

I know you mentioned long referral times for a physio, is there no chance you could pay to see one privately?
  • I found Pilates class helped me with aches and pains, general stiffness as I get older. The class consisted of MTB'ers, runners and rugby players. I've been attending the class for over 4 months now and have noticed a big difference in my core strength and flexibility. B)
  • I would suggest some of the money spent on bike fits would be better spent on Physio/Chiropractic appointments or Pilates/Yoga classes. You obviously have issues around the upper back area. Having said that the bike fitter I saw would have given me exercises and advice for problems such as the ones you are experiencing.