Temporary weight loss during ride

How much weight do you lose during a long ride? Say you weigh yourself before you start and at the end and you are 2kg light... that would be 2 liters of water sweated out right? That seems like quite a big value.
BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
Instagramme

Comments

• Yes, it's about right... it depends how much you drink too... I drink very little, but others guzzle through a litre of water every 20 miles...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    The temperature and intensity of the ride will be major factors. You'll probably lose a lot more weight in 30 degrees than if it was 15 degrees. Obviously how much you then can drink is another factor.

I don't think it's uncommon for the pros to lose 4-7 kgs on some really hot tough stages.
  • As above, temperature and effort greatly affect how much fluid I will get through.

On my recent ~2 hour steady rides at approx 17-20C having drank ~300ml just before leaving the house, I've coped fine with just one 750ml bottle, sometimes I've even had more than a few sips left at the ride end.

Doing a similar route but going max effort up the hills, I'd be taking out two 750ml bottles to make sure I don't run out.

When temps get to approx 25-32C, if I go out for 2-3 hours, it's two 1250ml old squash bottles and a steady ride to not run out of fluid.

I've had the odd time when I've taken a third 750-1250ml bottle attached to a seatpost cage in blazing hot weather, done a max effort up a hill or two and had to ration fluid on way home... And then guzzling plenty when I get home.

I'm simply not used to stopping at cafes/pubs for a break and a fluid top up.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Most ‘instant’ weight loss is a function of dehydration mostly. If you’ve pushed yourself to the point where you end up feeding on mostly fat ( because most / all of your stored Glycogen has depleted ) you could see some genuine weight loss, but it won’t be drastic, unless you’ve put yourself in A&E.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    Ncovidius said:

you could see some genuine weight loss, but it won’t be drastic, unless you’ve put yourself in A&E.

:smiley:
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    Sweat rate is dependant on our unique metabolism but can be up to 3 or 4 litres per hour in the right (wrong) conditions.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,734
    Metabolisms change too. I rarely used to sweat and only took water bottles if I was doing a long or strenuous effort. Then i overcooked on a day in the Alps and the sweat taps opened.
    They’ve not shut since and now I need to take a bottle per hour, even in winter.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

Metabolisms change too. I rarely used to sweat and only took water bottles if I was doing a long or strenuous effort. Then i overcooked on a day in the Alps and the sweat taps opened.
    They’ve not shut since and now I need to take a bottle per hour, even in winter.

This is a very pertinent point. As we age, things change. You need to be able to adjust accordingly.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    pblakeney said:

Have a word with Prince Nonce. 😉
  • orraloon said:

pblakeney said:

Have a word with Prince Nonce. 😉
    It’s a ‘medical issue’ he got it during the falklands conflict ( allegedly).

• katani
    katani Posts: 133

The temperature and intensity of the ride will be major factors. You'll probably lose a lot more weight in 30 degrees than if it was 15 degrees. Obviously how much you then can drink is another factor.

I don't think it's uncommon for the pros to lose 4-7 kgs on some really hot tough stages.

For a 65kg rider that's 7%-11%. 5% equals drop in performance by 30%, at 7% is a hallucinations territory, 10% is circulatory collapse combined with heatstroke or even death.