La Vuelta 2021 - Stage 18: Salas > Altu d’El Gamoniteiru 162,6 km **Spoilers**

13»

Comments

• Mader saving Haig's bacon again.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    bernal getting droped
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,928
    Movistar get their win, but Spain don't!
    Tough final km.
  • That was a good climb.
  • mididoctors
    superman
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Dorset_Boy
    Roglic second with a slight gap to Mas & Bernal.
  • mididoctors
    what were bahrain thinking?
  • Very close for 4th on GC, I think Haig still has it.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Thick fog at the top, and 17% last part to the line is cruel.
  • Not a patch on yesterday's stage, which was to be expected.
    Pretty disappointing.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157

Absolutely lost as to what Bahrain's goal has been.
    Chase the break all the way to the final climb then toodle along no quicker than the guy who has been riding solo for 50kms.

I think their strategy was to control the pace to keep Haig within a TT's gap to Lopez on the podium.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Dorset_Boy
    Haig saying they were hoping someone would crack after yesterday's efforts.
  • mididoctors

Mmmmm
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited September 2021

Someone almost did: Haig.
    Lopez will be on the attack on Saturday's stage. His confidence will be up and that's a big issue with him and how he rides.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553

So, Roglic jumps on the wheel of the guy who's in 6th, but lets the guy in 3rd swan off the front.

I was thinking the same. Pay back for Movistar chasing down everything Ineos did early in the race.

Such a shame Bernal came into the race undercooked although if he had this form to start with it would just be a classic Roglic gaining bonus seconds race.
  • Pross said:

So, Roglic jumps on the wheel of the guy who's in 6th, but lets the guy in 3rd swan off the front.

I was thinking the same. Pay back for Movistar chasing down everything Ineos did early in the race.

Such a shame Bernal came into the race undercooked although if he had this form to start with it would just be a classic Roglic gaining bonus seconds race.

Plus he wouldn't be putting enough time into Roglic to negate the TT either
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Pross said:

I think if Bernal hadn't attacked yesterday, Roglic would have stuck to type and ridden like he did today.

I'm baffled at Orla on Eurosport keeping on saying he's a 'pure racer' (whatever that is) and 'so exciting' when he's the most conservative GC winner since the man sitting next to her. It think it must be the standard lazy media practice of treating him and Pogacar as the same.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    He seems to fear Bernal more than any of the other riders even though he is well over 4 minutes behind. I get that Bernal has a Tour and Giro to his name but it is interesting that Roglic really does seem reluctant to let him out of his sight.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Pross said:

He seems to fear Bernal more than any of the other riders even though he is well over 4 minutes behind. I get that Bernal has a Tour and Giro to his name but it is interesting that Roglic really does seem reluctant to let him out of his sight.

He has a history of focusing on one opponent. Carapaz won the giro while Roglic was gawping at Nibali. Pogacar rode away on Peyresourde while Roglic did nothing.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112

Haig prefers a strong, consistent pace, rather than repeated accelerations, so Bahrain rode to his strengths on a climb that really doesn't suit him.
  • andyp said:

Haig prefers a strong, consistent pace, rather than repeated accelerations, so Bahrain rode to his strengths on a climb that really doesn't suit him.
    They rode the whole day which meant they were down to two with half the last climb to go.
  • andyp said:

They rode the whole day which meant they were down to two with half the last climb to go.
    I don't have Haig's exact words but afterwards he said something like:

"We rode partly to do with the team competition, to maintain our lead. I also wanted us to push hard the whole day, to see if anyone had problems after the hard day yesterday. We wanted to put the others under pressure and ride at a good pace so that one or the other might fade on the final ascent. But as it turned out, they were all still very strong to the end“
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    edited September 2021
    Sad that Matt Holmes finished outside the time limit. Team say he has had a lower respiratory tract infection for a couple of days. Always a shame when a rider has managed to finish such a difficult stage and is so near the end of the tour
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    Pross said:

Maybe I am too conditioned by early '00s pro cycling but maybe he's just trying to get in Bernal's head for future races.