Vuelta 2021-stage 10: Roquetas de Mar > Rincón de la Victoria -189km *SPOILERS*

13»

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,861
    Crazy risky
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    I am glad he isn't hurt too.much
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709
    Pross said:

Turns out descending a dead straight ski jump ramp doesn't make you a great descender on a bike. Who'd have thought? Some pretty poor lines being chosen by Roglic in the group. Still taking over 30" more from Bernal though.

I posted after the TT of stage 1, that Roglic needs to improve his descending, that he sometimes chooses a poor line, then has to correct. That looked the case today, the correction overdone.

I don't remember well enough to know if many of his crashes have been when descending, but whether or not, for a top GC rider, he does seem to crash more often than most other top GC contenders.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,261
    That was an impressive win by Storer - he had about 40 seconds over the top, and finished solo with 20 seconds after 17km of descending.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    dish_dash said:

Storer out front... wonder how long he'll stay at DSM

He's joining Groupama-FDJ next season, on a two year deal. It was announced a couple of weeks back.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,576
    Do you think there's a feeling of schadenfreude when a rider sees the person who attacked them dusting themself off on the side of the road?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Pross said:

Do you think there's a feeling of schadenfreude when a rider sees the person who attacked them dusting themself off on the side of the road?

Only if they attack on a downhill, I'd say
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    RichN95. said:

Pross said:

Only if they attack on a downhill, I'd say
    Yeah, that Astana one last season was amusing.
  • mididoctors
    I think bernal is not enjoying the heat
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    edited August 2021
    I thought Roche was interesting on the Eurosport commentary today. Great atmosphere with Kelly and Orlando as well☘️
    Ineos tactics questionable on the stage.
    I’d forgotten that Martin was on the race!
  • kingstongraham
    What tactics should ineos use to win when they don't have the best rider?
  • Pross

It's odd how everyone questions Ineos' tactics but no-one seems to criticise other teams such as Astana. Movistar seem to be the strongest team and yet when they had Roglic in a vulnerable position on Sunday they wouldn't work with Ineos to try to take advantage.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,586
    edited August 2021
    Pross said:

It's odd how everyone questions Ineos' tactics but no-one seems to criticise other teams such as Astana. Movistar seem to be the strongest team and yet when they had Roglic in a vulnerable position on Sunday they wouldn't work with Ineos to try to take advantage.
    I concur with your thinking, and I suspect it comes from the history of them seemingly using their tactics to neutralise (in some peoples eyes) the race, where as in fact they simply had the best rider or riders at the time.

Good shout with Movistar - they have a golden opportunity here really, with is it 2 in the top 4 positions?
    Both good climbers, with some solid results behind them and seem to be in decent form.

No one ever seems to want to work with what is now Ineos, so I suspect they are simply going to fade away to some degree, but then perhaps they can go for some stage wins instead, a bit like they did at last years Giro, but clearly with no chance of a GC win at the end of it!

Disappointed Yates doesn't seem to have the form he clearly needs to challenge for the win, had presumed the lack of racing, and specific training that must have been going on was all for this race - maybe expecting things too soon, but I'd really like to see him properly contending for a GC win in 2022.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    edited August 2021
    Pross said:

Everyone criticises Movistar tactics to the point where it is a running joke they can't ride a race properly.

Ineos only seem to know how to ride a race from the front - when they are behind this often ends up in ineos doing a lot of grunt work that benefits the leader - who is not their rider.

There is a fine line between putting the leading team under pressure and doing their job for them, and Ineos, from where i am sitting, often do the latter.
  • kingstongraham
    Their winning tactic has always been to use very strong riders to try to neutralise a race, and try to eliminate any surprises. Which is great if you have the strongest rider in the race.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729

Their winning tactic has always been to use very strong riders to try to neutralise a race, and try to eliminate any surprises. Which is great if you have the strongest rider in the race.

I would like to see ineos use a tactic that involves forcing a different team to do the chasing. I can't remember the last time I saw that happen.
  • kingstongraham

I would like to see ineos use a tactic that involves forcing a different team to do the chasing. I can't remember the last time I saw that happen.
    Stage 7 of the tour?
  • mididoctors

Stage 7 of the tour?
    Ineos do need to get hitters into breaks rather than think they can do the old one two three on the final climb/finale of a stage. This does mean the likley sacrifice of their cards but if the strongest guy is on another team and you have a bunch of next level down guys you have to sacrifice those numbers . The trouble with riding on the front putting on the pressure is you tend to lose time anyway in the finale and lose your leverage . It's all contingent on the race parcours and situation of course but etc.
  • mididoctors
    Ineos lost this option in the tour cos of the crashes early on ..so they get a pass on that
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    Everyone seems to agree that you need to isolate Roglic (Pog in the Tour) and then throw multiple meaningful attacks at him that he has to cover. The difficulty seems to be in getting his domestiques burnt off without burning out your own, and then having multiple riders capable of attacking him.

It's made even more complicated by other teams having agendas that end up with them doing the work for him. It's a bit of a bummer when you've done the work to isolate him and then get chased down by Movistar
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112

Pross said:

Everyone criticises Movistar tactics to the point where it is a running joke they can't ride a race properly.

Ineos only seem to know how to ride a race from the front - when they are behind this often ends up in ineos doing a lot of grunt work that benefits the leader - who is not their rider.

There is a fine line between putting the leading team under pressure and doing their job for them, and Ineos, from where i am sitting, often do the latter.
    At the Giro last year they didn't revert to type at all. They let Sunweb control the race on the stage to Piancavallo, that TGH won, then did the same on the Stelvio stage up until the point they sent Dennis to the front to blow the race apart.

It worked brilliantly then, so it is very surprising that they haven't tried to do something similar since.
  • mididoctors
    andyp said:

Pross said:

At the Giro last year they didn't revert to type at all. They let Sunweb control the race on the stage to Piancavallo, that TGH won, then did the same on the Stelvio stage up until the point they sent Dennis to the front to blow the race apart.

It worked brilliantly then, so it is very surprising that they haven't tried to do something similar since.
    It was a strange race . A lot things aligned to make that happen... That said shows a "super domestique" can get into a winning position
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470

andyp said:

Pross said:

It was a strange race . A lot things aligned to make that happen... That said shows a "super domestique" can get into a winning position
    There'll never be a grand tour field that week again.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,586
    edited August 2021
    gsk82 said:

andyp said:

Pross said:

Correct (All though technically it was 3 weeks), unless *Doctor Who is able to transport us all back.

*Other time travellers may, or may not be available, in the future, present or past.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • mididoctors
    gsk82 said:

andyp said:

Pross said:

Things happen you never know