What to change (n-1)

Comments

• johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    I’m quite tempted by these:

https://scribecycling.co.uk/collections/carbon-disc/products/aero-wide-plus-4250d-carbon-wheelset

They’re wider, though. Any advantage to that do we think? Fit them with 28mm continentals and I quite like the look of a slightly shallower rim on the front.
  • johngti
    With the race bearings since these are supposed to be for the fun summer times.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    My Primes are wider than my previous Planet X I had on the S3 and when running the same tubs at the same pressures must admit to not noticing any difference at all.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • johngti
    MattFalle said:

My Primes are wider than my previous Planet X I had on the S3 and when running the same tubs at the same pressures must admit to not noticing any difference at all.

Didn’t expect there to be any difference really. I like 28mm tyres (comfy innit) and these would seem to be a good bet. Might just stick an order in.
  • MattFalle
    do it do it do it do it now do it do it do it now
  • johngti
    MattFalle said:

Too late, already done it
  • MattFalle
    GET IN!

#vicariousshoppingjoy
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    johngti said:

MattFalle said:

Blimey, I've been procrastinating about buying carbon rims for months. Admittedly the bike they will end up on doesn't have a frame yet. But I did look at the bits and file some tube ends at the weekend.
  • johngti

johngti said:

MattFalle said:

Blimey, I've been procrastinating about buying carbon rims for months. Admittedly the bike they will end up on doesn't have a frame yet. But I did look at the bits and file some tube ends at the weekend.
    Decision maker, me. See?
  • johngti
    MattFalle said:

GET IN!

#vicariousshoppingjoy

Yeah, to a point anyway. I did have to sell my pride and joy so this is aimed at reducing the pain a bit. At least the dental work and house stuff I’ve bought can now be paid off.

Still, they’re going to look awesome!!
  • MattFalle
    have they arrived yet?
  • MattFalle
    johngti said:

MattFalle said:

GET IN!

#vicariousshoppingjoy

Yeah, to a point anyway. I did have to sell my pride and joy so this is aimed at reducing the pain a bit. At least the dental work and house stuff I’ve bought can now be paid off.

Still, they’re going to look awesome!!
    they're going to be more than awesome.
  • johngti
    MattFalle said:

have they arrived yet?

No :( They need to hurry up.

Apparently won't even be in-country until August week 4. If I'm lucky I'll get one ride in before going back to school. I'm getting them to fit the tyres for me, save a bit of time.

I know it's not my (not my) Trek but the Giant Contend frame is actually really pretty impressive so I still have a really good bike. Less than a kg heavier, still comfy.
  • MattFalle
    Tbh, who cares what bike it is so long as it makes you smile?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,060

johngti said:

Power meter is pointless. I already get an inferiority complex on the bike, don’t need actual numbers confirming that…

If you have never had a power meter for outdoor riding, it's a game changer, unless you have no interest in your efforts in terms of segments and/or total route time.

Absolute numbers aren't so relevant up climbs, albeit knowing what you can currently expect to hold for a given time duration is very handy, it's Watts/Kg.

It's only a game changer if you are going to do structured training - otherwise it's just mildly interesting knowing how many watts you held for a given period of time.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • johngti

johngti said:

Power meter is pointless. I already get an inferiority complex on the bike, don’t need actual numbers confirming that…

If you have never had a power meter for outdoor riding, it's a game changer, unless you have no interest in your efforts in terms of segments and/or total route time.

Absolute numbers aren't so relevant up climbs, albeit knowing what you can currently expect to hold for a given time duration is very handy, it's Watts/Kg.

It's only a game changer if you are going to do structured training - otherwise it's just mildly interesting knowing how many watts you held for a given period of time.

Or how many watts you didn’t hold in my case!
  • MattFalle

johngti said:

this.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    johngti said:

johngti said:

Or how many watts you didn’t hold in my case!
    You are not alone in this
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Yeah, i have absolutely no interested in a power meter, just another distraction from just being out on the bike enjoying it. I have a garmin, but mostly to follow a route and to record the ride for posterity, i try not to look at the numbers too much.

I don't race, so don't feel the need to analyse everything.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,160
    Last thing I want is a gadget telling me that I am under performing.
    Or, one telling me to ease up on a good day.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • johngti
    elbowloh said:

Yeah, i have absolutely no interested in a power meter, just another distraction from just being out on the bike enjoying it. I have a garmin, but mostly to follow a route and to record the ride for posterity, i try not to look at the numbers too much.

Posterity and that feeling you get when you look at your average speed and think “that felt faster than 14.5mph”…
  • MattFalle
    have the wheels arrived yet?
  • johngti
    MattFalle said:

have the wheels arrived yet?

Still no. Absolute disgrace. I ordered them late yesterday, they’re not due into the country for another week-ish and they’re STILL not here. Should I just get a refund?
  • MattFalle
    not sure yet but i'd deffo do a thread on an internet forum no one from the company is going to read and vent your faux frustration on that.

#deffo
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    johngti said:

elbowloh said:

Posterity and that feeling you get when you look at your average speed and think “that felt faster than 14.5mph”…
    Or to go "ffs, the Garmin stopped recording again" or "the garmin said i hit 140kmh through that underpass"
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • johngti
    I’m getting impatient. I’m very tempted to contact them tomorrow and see if they have an ETA for the delivery. If not, I’m even more tempted to get them to change the order for the 60mm rims they appear to have in stock…
  • johngti
    Never mind. Decision decided, swapped to the 60mm rims for the bling.
  • MattFalle
    johngti said:

Never mind. Decision decided, swapped to the 60mm rims for the bling.

GET IN!

Very very very good decison.

60s are a perfect depth.
  • MattFalle
    Have the 60s arrived yet?
  • johngti
    MattFalle said:

Have the 60s arrived yet?

Nope. It's been a whole 2.5 hours since I made them change the order and it took them 30 minutes to let me know that they'd been dispatched. I'm not impressed.