What to change (n-1)

So, made the difficult decision to actually go down to one bike and sold my best one. Honestly, I’ve spent too much money lately and need to pay some stuff off.

Having said that, I’ve got quite a good price so I’m going to improve my remaining bike a bit.

Current set-up:

Giant contend SL disc frame/forks
R7020 full group set
Hunt wheels (their bog basic model, aluminium, not too heavy but not deep section etc)

So, given that I am going to get something irrespective of anyone here saying not to bother, should I (a) swap bits out to Ultegra or (b) get some deep section, lighter carbon wheels. It has to be one or the other, can’t be both.

I will now carry on grieving over the sale of my best bike. Mrs GTi has got some nice stuff out of the deal, mind.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,160
    a) Will you notice any difference? Probably not, marginal maybe.
    b) Will you notice any difference? Possibly.

Personally I'd focus on comfort. Tyres, saddle, bibs, mitts, whatever floats your boat.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,961
    I doubt you would notice the difference changing the group set. But new wheels will give you a warm glow as you walk up to the bike after the coffee stop, will make a whooshing sound, will stop worse in the rain and make no difference to your speed.

So go with the wheels.

Either that or get yourself a left crank arm power meter.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977

I doubt you would notice the difference changing the group set. But new wheels will give you a warm glow as you walk up to the bike after the coffee stop, will make a whooshing sound, will stop worse in the rain and make no difference to your speed.

So go with the wheels.

Disc, so shouldn't be any different stopping, should it?

Wheels. You won't notice the difference so much with 105 v ultegra as with new wheels.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508

So go with the wheels.

Wheels are where I’m going I think. Disc brakes though so stopping in the wet is no problem. Might even save a whole 200g that way too! Ahem.

Power meter is pointless. I already get an inferiority complex on the bike, don’t need actual numbers confirming that…
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,677
    Not ridden both to direct compare, but I doubt you'd notice much functional difference at all switching to Ultegra.

Deep section does not necessarily mean lighter even if carbon. Faster - perhaps, under certain circumstances. Possibly *less* comfortable. Start with some really good tyres perhaps?

What really makes you want to go ride, or perhaps what stops you from riding further or more often?

Unless you're fully kitted out already, I'd splash some money on what made me enjoy each ride more, and that could be some uber-nice clothing that's extra comfy, some bling shoes perhaps, or some fancy accessories to take along - new GPS, a Go Pro, whatever
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • johngti
    @Wheelspinner i pretty much have everything I want, to be honest. I do like the sound from a nice set of carbon wheels though. The groupset idea is silly really.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    get rid of the wheels and buy something that isn't hunt.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,946
    edited August 2021
    @johngti what is your budget for wheels?

Oh and what was the best bike, so we can grieve with you :-(
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • johngti
    daniel_b said:

Probably around £900. I don’t really need tyres/discs because I can always move the ones already on the hunts. Assuming the old sealant doesn’t cause any problems.

It’s my Trek Domane that’s gone. SL5 frame, Di2 (bar end junction box, ewwu111), prime deep sections. But needs must :(
  • MattFalle
    get some more Primes and spend the balance on blow n ho.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Slamming the stem and ditching the bung will surely give you the most bang for buck.
    But in reality, buy some bling wheels that make you smile.
  • MattFalle

Slamming the stem and ditching the bung will surely give you the most bang for buck.
    But in reality, buy some bling wheels that make you smile.

and then slam the stem and ditch the bung
  • johngti said:

Power meter is pointless. I already get an inferiority complex on the bike, don’t need actual numbers confirming that…

If you have never had a power meter for outdoor riding, it's a game changer, unless you have no interest in your efforts in terms of segments and/or total route time.

Absolute numbers aren't so relevant up climbs, albeit knowing what you can currently expect to hold for a given time duration is very handy, it's Watts/Kg.

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I really don't get the obsession with deep section wheels for most people. They're probably not going to be any lighter than the wheels people already have and most people won't be going fast enough to benefit from any aero improvement. They're expensive also.

Is it just looks or the sound?

I'd just get some lighter wheels myself, but I don't know nuffink.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,946
    edited August 2021
    johngti said:

daniel_b said:

Probably around £900. I don’t really need tyres/discs because I can always move the ones already on the hunts. Assuming the old sealant doesn’t cause any problems.

It’s my Trek Domane that’s gone. SL5 frame, Di2 (bar end junction box, ewwu111), prime deep sections. But needs must :(
    For that healthy budget, personally I would be looking at 50mm deep wheels (in order of preference) as below:

Winspace Hyper (1455g ish)

Scribe Aero Wide (1438g ish) Think you can specify the decal colour on these.

Cero RC50 (1471g ish)

There is something very satisfying about a quality set of deep carbon wheels, though I am unable to put my finger on the whys and wherefores - though they can easily transform the look of a bike, and if you like the look of it, for me anyway, I'd be more likely to want to ride it.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I agree - get a nice set of summer wheels and keep you current ones to get you through the winter.
    Deep sections are guaranteed to be faster in 2 out of the 3 important speed measurements:
    1. They look faster :smile:
    2. They might even sound faster :smile:
    3. They actually are faster - maybe, maybe not...
  • Slamming the stem and ditching the bung will surely give you the most bang for buck.

Unless I am mistaken, the picture of the op's bike in the bung/steerer thread is a trek domane.

If so, the op started an entire thread which had people arguing like cats in a sack for a bike he had already sold or decided to sell.

As I said, I could be mistaken.....
  • johngti

Unless I am mistaken, the picture of the op's bike in the bung/steerer thread is a trek domane.

If so, the op started an entire thread which had people arguing like cats in a sack for a bike he had already sold or decided to sell.

As I said, I could be mistaken.....
    Not mistaken but not exactly right either. Decided to sell it after starting the thread. Couldn’t bearsed with all the arguing, you see.
  • johngti
    (Not really true - posted, played with the idea of lowering the stem, checked the bank account, thought “oh carp, what am I thinking. I need some funds urgently. I’ll stick the best bike on eBay for £lots and someone might buy it or nobody will and I can at least say that I tried”)

(Someone bought it within hours. Just dropped it off to him, he’s going to look after it well)
  • johngti
    So, in other words @MidlandsGrimpeur2 , you’ve got the sequencing wrong but, you know, let’s make a snarky comment anyway, eh? 👍
  • johngti
    MattFalle said:

Primes were my first thought but no disc specific ones in stock other than the expensive ones. Tempted anyway.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    edited August 2021
    johngti said:

So, in other words @MidlandsGrimpeur2 , you’ve got the sequencing wrong but, you know, let’s make a snarky comment anyway, eh? 👍

To give him some credit, I thought his was one of the few useful replies in what became that shitshow, at least he had experience of a warranty being rejected for that very reason.
    Hardly your fault that thread went south of course.
    H³ has a set of disc Primes, certainly look nice and replacing bearings when I did it was a doddle.
  • johngti

johngti said:

To be fair I thought his was one of the few useful replies in what became that shitshow, at least he had experience of a warranty being rejected for that very purpose.
    Hardly your fault that thread went south of course.
    H³ has a set of disc Primes, certainly look nice and replacing bearings when I did it was a doddle.
    True. Apologies @MidlandsGrimpeur2, didn’t mean to give the impression that I was unappreciative of your post. As stated, it all happened a bit quickly in the end.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    edited August 2021

This might change your mind on ditching a bung;
    https://roadbikerider.com/bicycle-carbon-steerer-tubes-and-safety/
  • MattFalle
    ah, ffs, here we go again....
  • MattFalle
    johngti said:

MattFalle said:

Primes were my first thought but no disc specific ones in stock other than the expensive ones. Tempted anyway.
    tbh, they are a bit of a bargain, and come with all the gumpf clubbies love, reliable warranty back up, parts, etc etc...
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,961
    MattFalle said:

johngti said:

MattFalle said:

tbh, they are a bit of a bargain, and come with all the gumpf clubbies love, reliable warranty back up, parts, etc etc...
    Yes MF clubbies love to be able to buy a replacement spoke. Real cyclists just replace the whole wheel.
  • True. Apologies @MidlandsGrimpeur2, didn’t mean to give the impression that I was unappreciative of your post. As stated, it all happened a bit quickly in the end.

No worries, apology accepted. I wasn't trying to be snarky and I appreciate the other thread going south was nothing to do with you.
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

johngti said:

MattFalle said:

Yes MF clubbies love to be able to buy a replacement spoke. Real cyclists just replace the whole wheel.
    cool. thanks for confirming.
  • MattFalle

True. Apologies @MidlandsGrimpeur2, didn’t mean to give the impression that I was unappreciative of your post. As stated, it all happened a bit quickly in the end.

No worries, apology accepted. I wasn't trying to be snarky and I appreciate the other thread going south was nothing to do with you.
    he started it, so really it had everything to do with him...