Lowering stem, carbon steerer, bung length.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited August 2021
    masjer said:

On a final note, yet more evidence:

Taken from the Columbus fork installation manual:

"CAUTION
    In the case of carbon forks, ensure that the contact area between the
    internal walls of the steerer tube and the expander matches with the
    area where the stem applies pressure to the steerer tube.
    The integrity of the steerer tube material cannot be guaranteed if an
    incorrect combination of components is used and may result in
    breakage.
    If the overall height of the lower spacers used decreases, it is necessary
    to reduce the height of the steerer tube by cutting it further, as
    indicated in (1)."

Clutching at straws mate. That's a warranty clause - nothing more. It's an ar5e-covering exercise on behalf of the manufacturer and lots of them do it. Something that 'cannot be guaranteed' is a long way from 'risk of failure', but I doubt you would understand that, as you haven't been able to grasp it previously. Go find some actual technical data or get back under your bridge.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564
    It's not a warranty clause, it's an instruction manual. So you're not against my opinion, you're against the biking industry as a whole.
    How is "risk of failure" different to, "may result in breakage"above^?
    You for a change get some technical data. Your stance always puts it on the other person with your boring catchphrase "show me the evidence". It always leaves you in a position where you give no evidence. Quite lazy really.
  • masjer
    The bike industry makes lightweight, safe bikes for us to enjoy. You, on a whim decide, with no evidence bungs have no structural purpose, therefore can be removed without concern. This might render the bike unsafe to use, causing unsuspecting people (that have listened to you) a serious injury or worse.
    This is the sole reason I'm disagreeing with you. Safety first! Nothing "controversial " there.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    masjer said:

Hey, MattFalle I see you're enrolling on a bicycle mechanics course. I think it's a good idea for you. You might actually gain some basic mechanical know-how -as long as you listen.

Hey, Masjer

if you would have read tbe thread you'll have seen that I've already worked in shops for a number of years on a time served basis but work-work need to me have a qual for insurance purpises although I've looked after their bikes for years with no issues.

tbh, i've probably forgotten more than you know.

Looking at your knowledge however, I think the level 1 may stretch you but its a good start.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    masjer said:

The bike industry makes lightweight, safe bikes for us to enjoy. You, on a whim decide, with no evidence bungs have no structural purpose, therefore can be removed without concern. This might render the bike unsafe to use, causing unsuspecting people (that have listened to you) a serious injury or worse.
    This is the sole reason I'm disagreeing with you. Safety first! Nothing "controversial " there.

canyon amongst others say you can take the bung out and we all reckon they know more than you.

i'll go with Canyon.
  • MattFalle

masjer said:

On a final note, yet more evidence:

Taken from the Columbus fork installation manual:

"CAUTION
    In the case of carbon forks, ensure that the contact area between the
    internal walls of the steerer tube and the expander matches with the
    area where the stem applies pressure to the steerer tube.
    The integrity of the steerer tube material cannot be guaranteed if an
    incorrect combination of components is used and may result in
    breakage.
    If the overall height of the lower spacers used decreases, it is necessary
    to reduce the height of the steerer tube by cutting it further, as
    indicated in (1)."

Clutching at straws mate. That's a warranty clause - nothing more. It's an ar5e-covering exercise on behalf of the manufacturer and lots of them do it. Something that 'cannot be guaranteed' is a long way from 'risk of failure', but I doubt you would understand that, as you haven't been able to grasp it previously. Go find some actual technical data or get back under your bridge.
    this.

same as the bit in my carowner's manual that says "do not lick the battery terminals as you will die".
  • imposter2.0
    masjer said:

It's not a warranty clause, it's an instruction manual. So you're not against my opinion, you're against the biking industry as a whole.
    You for a change get some technical data. Your stance always puts it on the other person with your boring catchphrase "show me the evidence". It always leaves you in a position where you give no evidence. Quite lazy really.

Cracking strawman argument there - 'I don't agree with you, so therefore I must be against the whole of the cycling industry' FFS :lol:

The evidence for the bung 'not' being a safety-critical, structurally-essential component is all over this thread, but you won't accept it. You can either accept what's been written, or carry on trolling.
  • imposter2.0
    masjer said:

Again, this is just pure fabricated garbage. You simply don't read - or don't seem to understand - what people have written. I've not advocated removing the bung - I've simply stated it's limited purpose. It's like you're posting from a parallel universe. Maybe you'll disappear into a black hole, or something similar...
  • masjer
    I could spend all day collecting fork installation manuals , and bike manuals that strongly word the importance of using bungs.
    Also linking numerous youtube vids. Even if i wasted my time doing so, you'd still contradict all this by say it's a "warranty issue". Then you'd use your old catchphrase "well show me this evidence. I'm listening......."
    What's really the problem here is you've backed yourself into a corner and can't admit your "controversial statement is b0llocks!
    Your ego is the problem again.
  • masjer

masjer said:

Again, this is just pure fabricated garbage. You simply don't read - or don't seem to understand - what people have written. I've not advocated removing the bung - I've simply stated it's limited purpose. It's like you're posting from a parallel universe. Maybe you'll disappear into a black hole, or something similar...
    By stating what you deem is its limited purpose (with zero evidence), you imply it has a SINGLE function of preloading the bearings. This for the hundredth time is incorrect it has other functions that you don't comprehend. Its secondary purpose is purely structural, by resisting compression forces imparted by the stem. This is why some people might think it's OK to remove it, as it no longer has any purpose (your belief) . It's such a simple concept, I can't believe we are still discussing this in this universe or any other.
  • imposter2.0
    edited August 2021
    masjer said:

I could spend all day collecting fork installation manuals , and bike manuals that strongly word the importance of using bungs.
    Also linking numerous youtube vids.

Do it. Let's see them. The onus is on you to prove that a third-party component over which the fork manufacturer has no OEM control is somehow safety critical to the structural integrity of said fork. It's not on us to prove that it isn't.

• masjer

masjer said:

Also linking numerous youtube vids.

Do it. Let's see them. The onus is on you to prove that it is safety critical. Not on us to prove that it isn't.

I have done. Columbus installation manual above clearly indicating the importance (structurally) of a bung, including a safety warning. That's one. Your turn. The onus is on you to provide documentation proving your controversial point isn't a safety issue.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    You two do realise nobody gives a toss at this point but we are just laughing at your petty bickering.
    The sensible advice was given at the bottom of page 2 by whyamihere. A question I am now asking myself.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    masjer said:

Meh. According to Campagnolo all their components are going to kill you if not fitted by an authorised dealer. Allegedly.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle

You two do realise nobody gives a toss at this point but we are just laughing at your petty bickering.
    The sensible advice was given at the bottom of page 2 by whyamihere. A question I am now asking myself.

rubbish.

MF smashed it out of the park, as he normally does.
  • imposter2.0
    edited August 2021
    As above - I think the question was satisfactorily answered on page 1. The rest is just a classic bikeradar trollfest...
  • masjer
    Yeah, thanks, my explanation on page one was all that was needed.
  • MattFalle
    no - we're all talking about the stuff that was correct, so doesn't really involve yours. soz geezer.

thanks for posting though.
  • masjer
    Hi Matt, back from the playground I see. Italian alphabetti spaghetti for din dins?
    Don't make any rude words!
    #Boobies
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    masjer said:

Hi Matt, back from the playground I see. Italian alphabetti spaghetti for din dins?
    #Boobies

As the OP, can I just say that anything that might have been useful in your answer was hidden by your massive over reaction to people expressing different opinions to you. You really weren’t helpful
  • MattFalle
    masjer said:

#Boobies

sorry - are you saying that as an Italian I shouldn't be on a British forum and also be making comments about English being my second language?

Or just trying to make "fun" of my culture?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,687
    Erm, qualcuno è andato a pescare?

(Btw google translate so apols if gone awry)
  • masjer
    edited August 2021
    MattFalle said:

masjer said:

#Boobies

sorry - are you saying that as an Italian I shouldn't be on a British forum and also be making comments about English being my second language?

None of the above. I'm neither xenophobic nor a racist and welcome different cultures.
    Many moons ago I knew a Matt Falle. He wasn't an Italian so took it you might not be.
    It's just an uncommon surname.
  • MattFalle
    masjer said:

MattFalle said:

masjer said:

#Boobies

None of the above. I'm neither xenophobic nor a racist and welcome different cultures.
    Many moons ago I knew a Matt Falle. He wasn't an Italian so took it you might not be.
    It's just an uncommon surname.
    well it seems strange that you "nipped" onto the mechanics thread that is in Italian, made a comment about it then started making comments about Italian food, culture, bicycles and my level of English before suddenly stating you had a "friend" with my name - quel surprise.......

it all seems too much of a coincidence tbh, so I think its quite interesting tbh.....

but hey, nothing racist or xenophobic about that...
  • masjer
    edited August 2021
    I made no reference to your level of English (which appears far superior to your Google translate Italian), Italian food (alphabetti spaghetti) or culture. You seem very sensitive about it.
    My comment/joke was in reference to your juvenile behaviour.
    Oh, and I did know I Matt Falle (not a friend) many moons ago, so not a liar either, although I've recently been accused of lying in this thread.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    So the reviewer is a bike fitter/ bike mechanic not a structural engineer.
  • masjer
    webboo said:

So you send your car to be fixed by an engineer and not a mechanic?

Let's face it, he's better qualified than anyone here.

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I would rather my car be fixed by an engineer rather than a technician who puts a machine on, which tells him what’s broken and then replaces it.
  • MattFalle
    masjer said:

webboo said:

So you send your car to be fixed by an engineer and not a mechanic?

Let's face it, he's better qualified than anyone here.

nah. most probably not.

its a wide variety here.