saturday saturnalia

'ning

lazy ride, cafes and bask, scoff many calories for long ride in the scorchio tomorrow
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,872
    Off to snowdon training, perhaps should have stayed in last night 🙄
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, overcast , dog walked, riding soon
    Can anyone recommend a good pair of waterproof walking boots? Thanks
    Have a good day
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,153

Have a good day

The soft shell waterproof ones from mountain warehouse are absolutely not waterproof.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Ciao

Scorchio. house guests, weights. chillin' and lookin' ridiculously head turning good looking.

may do some posting on here.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle

Have a good day

Altberg or Lowa. I have used Lowa for work and ambi use for years and won't put my feet in anything else, lots of people also say the same about Altberg.

My Lowa have been everywhere, through most things and are as good as the day I bought them.

Like slippers from day one.

Both brands are made in the UK so when you wear the soles out (Vibram for both, so top notch) you send them back and they resole them.
  • lincolndave
    MattFalle said:

Have a good day

Altberg or Lowa. I have used Lowa for work and ambi use for years and won't put my feet in anything else, lots of people also say the same about Altberg.

My Lowa have been everywhere, through most things and are as good as the day I bought them.

Both brands are made in the UK so when you wear the soles out (Vibram for both, so top notch) you send them back and they resole them.
    Thanks Matt I will have a look later, cycling soon

• thistle_
    MattFalle said:

Have a good day

What's the fit like?
    I have wide feet so need a roomy toe box and I find most boots (and shoes) are too narrow.
    Can one of the MFs check?
  • MattFalle
    I believe you can specify the width you need so no problems tbere.
  • MattFalle
    Have just looked on the Lowa site and they offer M or W fittings.
  • MattFalle
    edited August 2021
    The MFs are are narrow of foot and use Ms if that helps.
  • MattFalle
    MF has these:

all round - heavyish but perfect for utterly everything, really comfy, all waterproof, enough heft to go through doors:

https://www.lowamilitaryboots.com/lowa-task-force-military-boots/lowa-combat-boot-brown-gore-tex-lined
  • MattFalle
  • MattFalle
    Absolutely nothing to them but you don't even know you're wearing them. look well ali when worn in.

No good for kicking in doors as no ankle support.

https://www.militarykit.com/products/altberg-desert-brown-boots
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,361
    I was given a pair of Chris Bonington endorsed boots (Berghaus).
    I do the odd bit of hill walking and cannot justify the expense of another pair and wouldn't have bought them myself.
    They were so light and so comfortable, I used to wear them all the time in winter and in the process wrecked them.

Can't find that exact model but these are very very similar. I liked the leather upper instead of that meshing they seem to deploy. You can polish leather and the mesh/fabric variety is difficult to clean IMHO.

https://www.berghaus.com/men-s-supalite-ii-gore-tex-boots-brown/13140002.html
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    Sun, wind, cloud, sun, wind, cloud.
    Bit farked after yesterday's (proper) swim since Feb last year after da roolz have been relaxed.

Might tinker on Porker if I can summon some energy. Meanwhile have to assist in getting the girls spruced up* and out the door.

*Dressed in something not too loud or garish, 1 or 2 wipes of the visage after teeth brushing, quick brush of their mops and some form of agreeable/appropriate footwear. Nothing fancy.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,692
    Hedgepig encounter last night. Had gone dark, went to close up, remembered that hadn't put out the piggy food. Go outside to replenish, only a step away and there's a piggy drinking from the water dish. Didn't seem at all fussed by my presence, moved off quite slowly under the bushes. Did hang about as I checked food dish later and all gone. Happy with that, my pal Spike and that.

Slow start as tired from all this work malarky. Bit of garden fettling at mine plus at daughter's place.

Do I head back to where was yesterday and see if the thieving twunts just dumped my kit when they found out what they had grabbed and quite how used and mucky it was?
  • MattFalle
    orraloon said:

Hedgepig encounter last night. Had gone dark, went to close up, remembered that hadn't put out the piggy food. Go outside to replenish, only a step away and there's a piggy drinking from the water dish. Didn't seem at all fussed by my presence, moved off quite slowly under the bushes. Did hang about as I checked food dish later and all gone. Happy with that, my pal Spike and that.

Slow start as tired from all this work malarky. Bit of garden fettling at mine plus at daughter's place.

Do I head back to where was yesterday and see if the thieving twunts just dumped my kit when they found out what they had grabbed and quite how used and mucky it was?

yes you do and you take a pick axe handle and two fatfucks with you to learn them a lesson.
  • MattFalle
    pinno said:

I was given a pair of Chris Bonington endorsed boots (Berghaus).
    I do the odd bit of hill walking and cannot justify the expense of another pair and wouldn't have bought them myself.
    They were so light and so comfortable, I used to wear them all the time in winter and in the process wrecked them.

Can't find that exact model but these are very very similar. I liked the leather upper instead of that meshing they seem to deploy. You can polish leather and the mesh/fabric variety is difficult to clean IMHO.

https://www.berghaus.com/men-s-supalite-ii-gore-tex-boots-brown/13140002.html

i think Berghaus and Karrimor got bought out amd the new stuff isn't a patch on the old stuff.

Aku are also worth a look according to some people but i've never used them.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    Busy morning but we've now fixed a reduced price on the house we're buying. Sellers got a bit arsey but conceded a decent wedge after we showed them bits of the survey and the quotes - to sort it. Which helps. Next up is telling our buyers to do one if they try and chip more than a minimal amount, but hopefully we'll be in Stevo Towers before the end of next month.

Hound routine is disrupted as one of them has a swollen paw and is doing a tripod around the house with a cone of shame attached. Hopefully the antibiotics will do the job soon.

Think I'll head out and get a full English in a bit.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • MattFalle
    yup - back in the day everyone had Meindls. I think the factory sold out during the Falklands conflict as everyone had them.
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

Hound routine is disrupted as one of them has a swollen paw and is doing a tripod around the house with a cone of shame attached. Hopefully the antibiotics will do the job soon.

You kicked him.

• lincolndave
    oxoman said:

LD some good boots suggested above, my 2pence worth would be go with proper leather and look after them and they will look after you. Don't dry in front of the fire and fabric boots are just fashion things. My Zamberlan's and meindl boots are over 10 years old and still going strong even after a couple of new soles.

I will be going with leather oxo, I have a couple of unopened tins dubbing to use
  • MattFalle
    yup - leather all the way.

proper polish (Kiwi) and dubbin.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,692
    Soft (heel) boy here could never deal with leather boots, cut my heels to pieces. Fallback has been the goretex fabric ones.

Indeed I still have a pair of hardly ever used Doc Martens from my teen years. They'd be vintage now, maybe I should fleabay them.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,025
    Long run runned.

Forgot to start my Garmin so add another 1.5km on to that.
    I’m quite dead now and have an airport run, thank god for cruise control.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinno

... thank god for cruise control.

Quick nap along the way then.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

You kicked him.

Never, he's the boss in the house - even gets to use the sun loungers.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    oxoman said:

That's cruise control not to be confused with Tesla autopilot. 😂😂

Is that like a clothes peg on the choke cable?
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,025
    Back home with a beer, need something to numb the pain
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • thistle_
    Short run runned, some of it anyway.

Was planning a couple of big hills today but didn't feel like it when I got up so stayed local. Wind dropped and got bitten to death by midges, then it started raining so got wet.
    Still had some lols anyway.

Hiding in the ponderosa cafe now with a cup of tea with a hint of coffee :neutral: