sunday exploring new frontiers in relaxation

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    Recommend Brewdog Punk AF and Nanny State for the non alcohol option, tasty, much better than fizzy soft drinks or the like.

Got the ride done in the afternoon when it cleared up a bit. And just for the record, I had both the small under saddle bag for the tools, CO2s and spare tube plus, wait for it, the bumbag for the rainjacket and all the bits that usually go in the back pockets. So there. In your face. Rules? Pah.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    I has been busy...

Where's it all gone?!

Before clean up:

After clean up:

...and a heap of bits for powder coating/blasting:

Can't wait for that lot to come back all shiny and new looking.
    Just 10 hours reconciling all the niggling issues under the chassis and pray DHL from ze Fazerland gets my bits here soon.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    johngti said:

pinno said:

johngti said:

I’ve been forced into teetotalism.

That's horrendous. Why didn't you tell us before?

Don’t like to talk about it. Health issues in lockdown 1, doc said to stop drinking and lose weight, now down to 75-76kg and not had a drink for more than a year. Harsh.
    Surely you feel better for it.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    pinno said:

johngti said:

pinno said:

johngti said:

Don’t like to talk about it. Health issues in lockdown 1, doc said to stop drinking and lose weight, now down to 75-76kg and not had a drink for more than a year. Harsh.
    Yeah definitely, especially the weight loss. I was never a regular heavy drinker anyway, just liked the thought of a cold beer on a Friday or Saturday night. I had early signs of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease when I had an ultrasound last summer. Hopefully the change in diet and no alcohol will mean that my liver gets better (which I believe it can do at this early stage)
  • johngti
    pinno said:

I has been busy...

Where's it all gone?!

Before clean up:

After clean up:

Just 10 hours reconciling all the niggling issues under the chassis and pray DHL from ze Fazerland gets my bits here soon.

Nice! I wish I had the room/skill/money to do that type of thing. Maybe when I retire!
  • johngti
    orraloon said:

Recommend Brewdog Punk AF and Nanny State for the non alcohol option, tasty, much better than fizzy soft drinks or the like.

Got the ride done in the afternoon when it cleared up a bit. And just for the record, I had both the small under saddle bag for the tools, CO2s and spare tube plus, wait for it, the bumbag for the rainjacket and all the bits that usually go in the back pockets. So there. In your face. Rules? Pah.

Tried the brew dog, agree that it's pretty good. Got Heineken in the fridge at the moment, it's OK. Sainsburys do an own-brand pilsner style lager that I think is my favourite so far. Non-alcoholic red wine, on the other hand, is absoluteshite!!
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    johngti said:

pinno said:

johngti said:

pinno said:

johngti said:

Yeah definitely, especially the weight loss. I was never a regular heavy drinker anyway, just liked the thought of a cold beer on a Friday or Saturday night. I had early signs of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease when I had an ultrasound last summer. Hopefully the change in diet and no alcohol will mean that my liver gets better (which I believe it can do at this early stage)
    Damn, i got diagnosed with that a few years back and forgot all about it. I was 2 stone lighter back then and diet is no better !
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    pinno said:

I has been busy...

Where's it all gone?!

Before clean up:

After clean up:

Are you doing your own binky series?
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    johngti said:

pinno said:

johngti said:

Hope it sorts it out.
    If it's alcohol free can it always be beer o clock and still be a acceptable?
  • pinno
    thistle_ said:

My god that is too much work.
    I can spend 2-3 hours setting up just to film 1 min 30 seconds of some Lego ball contraption.

Besides, I think I would come under some flack 'cos there is always some bloke/blokes who will do it better.
    I can get a bit of help here and there but i'm mainly on my Jimmy Todd and what I want isn't Concourse - not interested*, just working, original, honest, reliable and fully functional is the goal. I am absolutely determined to get it back together and MOT'd before e of September.

*I'm sure you saw the Mini. The owner won't take it out if there is a hint of rain or if it faintly resembles winter. It lives in a 'Carcoon' in a purpose built garage with a de-humidifier and, has cost over £25k,
    The best drives i've had in that old Porker have been in winter when there's no tourists, maybe a sprinkling of snow on the hills, empty roads.

• pinno
    edited August 2021
    johngti said:

Nice! I wish I had the room/skill/money to do that type of thing. Maybe when I retire!

Hurry up and retire 'cos classic car prices are going silly.
    God knows what will happen when most cars are electric.

There will either be a shortage of fuel (though I doubt that) or there will be a massive duty hike to tax those smoke producing b4stards "who continue to pollute our atmosphere with their sodding..."
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    pinno said:

thistle_ said:

I can get a bit of help here and there but i'm mainly on my Jimmy Todd and what I want isn't Concourse - not interested*, just working, original, honest, reliable and fully functional is the goal.
    We tell people we don't supply parts for concours cars, they want to look at all you have in stock so they can pick the best one of everything, oh do phuck off. BL never built them that well in the first place.
  • pinno

pinno said:

thistle_ said:

I can get a bit of help here and there but i'm mainly on my Jimmy Todd and what I want isn't Concourse - not interested*, just working, original, honest, reliable and fully functional is the goal.
    We tell people we don't supply parts for concours cars, they want to look at all you have in stock so they can pick the best one of everything, oh do phuck off. BL never built them that well in the first place.
    No, they didn't. My mate's mini took a complete strip down and the reconciliation of so many panels to make everything line up.
    Concours is really impractical and whatever car it is*. it's meant to be driven not mollycoddled.

*Well, put through a car crusher most of them.
    Let me see...

Triumph Stag (unless it gas a Rover v8 fitted)
    Triumph Dolomite
    Triumph Toledo
    MGB's and Midgets
    TR7
    SD1 (I had one of them)

Add what you want. All shyte. BL took over some decent marques and f/*cked them up like bad parents.

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,659
    Have been vaguely tempted to get a car of some sort to mess about with and do up, just not much choice on offer here.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    My stepdad has an Austin Healey 3000. Got it about 15 years ago for £16k. Think it's worth about £55k now
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    pinno said:

johngti said:

Hurry up and retire 'cos classic car prices are going silly.
    God knows what will happen when most cars are electric.

There will either be a shortage of fuel (though I doubt that) or there will be a massive duty hike to tax those smoke producing b4stards "who continue to pollute our atmosphere with their sodding..."
    My heart tells me I’d love a classic car. No interest in modern sports cars (not that I could afford one) yet to see a Modern Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborghini that isn’t being driven by a tw@t, or that’s the automatic impression you get. I’d happy pick a 70’s/early 80’s beauty over any of those, not necessarily sporty.

Me head tells me I don’t have a garage, can’t realistically leave a classic car on the street. You haven’t got time to constantly repair the thing. The constant niggle and the back of my mind that something is going to break or fall off would slowly eat at my sanity. The family wouldn’t be impressed by the ride/comfort. The no doubt alarming MPG would annoy even though I know that’s totally not the point of owning a classic car. Head wins 😔😕
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    You really need DIY skills or silly money.
    You also need to know what you are getting in to or know someone who knows.
    Ride quality - well, depends what you get. My old Merc w123 series (1982) had a ride quality that is unsurpassed.
    Take that Merc as an example - quite cheap to insure, plenty of spares, very reliable and will do 500k miles if looked after.
    Not a complex car. Easy to work on (plenty of room). Huge boot space and plenty of room for the family. They have never really taken off price wise. Saw one recently for sale for iro £10k and it had a full ground up restoration with a full catalogue of pics from start to finish.
    Heartbreaking sale price for the seller.

944's - a clean naturally aspirated 2.5L you can acquire for less than £7k. Keeps up with modern traffic, drives beautifully but is a bit of a complex thing to maintain. Parts are going up through the roof which don't really match the value.

Mini's - un modded, clean one's are hens teeth.

...and this is my gripe: There are so few unmodified classics. I wish people would either fully track them or keep them original. Not this split personality barbarism that is omnipresent.
    To a degree, I understand this because most of them aren't really up to much and the sportier one's, you have no idea how much stick they have received.
    I have endeavoured to keep my 944 original but this has come at a cost because upgrades are often easier and cheaper to do.

Mk1 and Mk2 Golfs are now silly money.

I have always fancied an E30 BMW but they are going up in value. M3 and Alpina versions (lovely, lovely car) are eye watering.

I will hang on to my 944 because there are so few practical and affordable options out there should I let it go.
    And anyway, i'll never get my money back. I didn't buy it as an investment. Too many are unfortunately and this is driving the values up to a point that is quite ridiculous.

I did see an unfinished (early) 911 project for sale. Everything had been done including an engine rebuild by Hartech engineering (the best in the UK) and it needed to be put back together - all the hard work had been done, it needed painting and re-assembly. @ £33k, a lot of money but something potentially worth £60k plus and more importantly, ownership of an iconic 911.
    The thing is as one of the guys at 9 Apart said, "you wouldn't want to boot it because there's too much money tied up in it".

I still would have swapped it.

[I must stop rambling]
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605
    A pristine version of my old Mitsu Evo 6 recently sold at auction for £100k :o Admittely it was a limited edition, but still that's bonkers.
    https://uk.motor1.com/news/505439/evo-vi-most-expensive-lancer/
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Yeah - try and get a clean R32/R34 Skyline for reasonable money.
    Oh and one that hasn't been modded.

I looked at one prior to the 944 purchase. It was modded to 544bhp, strut braces, roll cage the lot for 26K. It would probably take £10k to un do it all (and that's the problem).
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    pinno said:

This, but you'd be surprised how many of our customers have neither.
    pinno said:

[I must stop rambling]

Also, this :D

Elbow, if you want to be nice to the Father in Law I'll point you in the direction of the best guy to talk to about parts for it. 'Spinner, i don't know anyone in Tas but there's a good guy in Adelaide for parts, a lunatic in Melbourne and a couple of strange ones in Sydney.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

pinno said:

pinno said:

[I must stop rambling]

Elbow, if you want to be nice to the Father in Law I'll point you in the direction of the best guy to talk to about parts for it. 'Spinner, i don't know anyone in Tas but there's a good guy in Adelaide for parts, a lunatic in Melbourne and a couple of strange ones in Sydney.
    I'd be surprised if he doesn't know already as he's in with all the vintage car club people and organises rallies etc. However, if you have the details, then i'll pass them on, thanks.

Not that he actually does much work on it himself, i think he's more of a specifier and payer than a doer!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

I looked at one prior to the 944 purchase. It was modded to 544bhp, strut braces, roll cage the lot for 26K. It would probably take £10k to un do it all (and that's the problem).

Exactly, they were pretty much all modded as everybody knew you could way more out of those cars than the 276bhp that was the 'gentleman's agreement' that the Japanese car manufacturers stuck to. Mine was good for 390bhp with just a chip, filter, cams, exhaust and 'sports' catalyst o:)

That one in the link was pristine because it was owned by Mitsubishi.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,659

pinno said:

pinno said:

[I must stop rambling]

OH has a Z3 which is surprisingly nice to punt about on a sunny day. It could do with a few things updated but for the miles it gets driven not essential yet.

I really don't see much affordable stuff I'd bother with except another convertible, and we really don't need two!

:D

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Thing is, its not just older cars that are stupid.

RGV250 like mine in the kitchen. New in 1990 -£3000. Now starting at £8000 for an alright condition one.

Utterly daft.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pinno
    MattFalle said:

Thing is, its not just older cars that are stupid.

RGV250 like mine in the kitchen. New in 1990 -£3000. Now starting at £8000 for an alright condition one.

Utterly daft.

Sell it, sell it. sell it sell it...
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Exactly, they were pretty much all modded as everybody knew you could way more out of those cars than the 276bhp that was the 'gentleman's agreement' that the Japanese car manufacturers stuck to. Mine was good for 390bhp with just a chip, filter, cams, exhaust and 'sports' catalyst o:)

No - the gentleman's agreement was to fit the old Japanese GT cup homologation regs:
    For the 2nd class, up to 300 bhp and for the 1st class, up to 500 bhp.
    The Japanese GT series is now 350 or 550 bhp but I think they have reduced the homologation number. Now called the Super GT series.

Eurosport used to televise the GT series - 30 mins every other Sunday. It was the most exciting motor racing out there. Far better than F1, far better than touring cars domestically or European. Neck and neck stuff. Drivers like Wayne Rainey, Wayne Gardner (ex moto GP boys - remember them?).
  • Stevo_666
    edited August 2021
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

No - the gentleman's agreement was to fit the old Japanese GT cup homologation regs:
    For the 2nd class, up to 300 bhp and for the 1st class, up to 500 bhp.
    The Japanese GT series is now 350 or 550 bhp but I think they have reduced the homologation number. Now called the Super GT series.

Eurosport used to televise the GT series - 30 mins every other Sunday. It was the most exciting motor racing out there. Far better than F1, far better than touring cars domestically or European. Neck and neck stuff. Drivers like Wayne Rainey, Wayne Gardner (ex moto GP boys - remember them?).
    Here you go on the gentlemens agreement history: luckily they saw sense and ditched it in the 2000's.
    https://garagedreams.net/car-facts/why-are-japanese-cars-limited-to-276hp

https://caranddriver.com/news/a15131963/japan-dumps-276-hp-pact-car-news/

Never saw those race series sadly.
  • Stevo_666
    oxoman said:

Lad wants to buy a little suzuki jimny 4x4 but I want a Nissan sunny GTi R 4x4 little brother of the skyline. Under rated wolf in sheep's clothing.

Decided by who's paying, no?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    edited August 2021
    BMW 2002 tii would do nicely

Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי