New Olympic sports

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    ddraver said:

Softball should be binned - only 3 countries play the game.

Softball and Baseball are only exhibition sports arent they? They are here and were in Atlanta. Guess it's something for the locals... (What was the equivalent in GB..?)
    They're full sports.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    ddraver said:

Softball and Baseball are only exhibition sports arent they? They are here and were in Atlanta. Guess it's something for the locals... (What was the equivalent in GB..?)
    Morris Dancing?
    A post match boat race in the bar?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388

ddraver said:

They're full sports.
    Baseball at the Summer Olympics unofficially debuted at the 1904 Summer Olympics and became an official Olympic sport at the 1992 Summer Olympics. The event was last played in the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, with South Korea taking the gold; the sport was dropped from the Summer Olympic program but will be revived as part of the program for the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo for a one off appearance.

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    ddraver said:

ddraver said:

They're full sports.
    Baseball at the Summer Olympics unofficially debuted at the 1904 Summer Olympics and became an official Olympic sport at the 1992 Summer Olympics. The event was last played in the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, with South Korea taking the gold; the sport was dropped from the Summer Olympic program but will be revived as part of the program for the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo for a one off appearance.

Full sports, not exhibition sports, so they get proper medals and count towards the medal table.

They aren't in the programme for 2024.

Break dancing is added for 2024, which looks like gymnastic floor routine but less so and dressed up like vanilla ice.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,920
    Sport Climbing may well be my new favourite Olympic sport. I'm fairly sure they're running up a beyond vertical climb faster than I could do the equivalent on the flat :(
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    JimD666 said:

Sport Climbing may well be my new favourite Olympic sport. I'm fairly sure they're running up a beyond vertical climb faster than I could do the equivalent on the flat :(

If you haven’t had any reason to run a sprint for a number of years; e.g. not since school, it is worth finding a running track and timing yourself over 100m just to find out exactly how slow you now are.

When I first did so in my late 40’s a handful of years ago, I was genuinely surprised at exactly how slow I was.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    morstar said:

JimD666 said:

If you haven’t had any reason to run a sprint for a number of years; e.g. not since school, it is worth finding a running track and timing yourself over 100m just to find out exactly how slow you now are.

When I first did so in my late 40’s a handful of years ago, I was genuinely surprised at exactly how slow I was.
    Indeed... When I was running I timed myself at 1:10 for the 400 m and 15s for the 100... now it's probably a lot worse
    left the forum March 2023
  • morstar

morstar said:

JimD666 said:

Indeed... When I was running I timed myself at 1:10 for the 400 m and 15s for the 100... now it's probably a lot worse
    I was very similar times as a young teenager but never really ran any track stuff beyond the age of about 14.

I started introducing speed work to my running in my late 40’s as an active cyclist and runner. I had a severely misplaced belief that I would achieve similar times to my young teens which were obviously before before my physical peak.

So wrong it’s not quite believable. I think the term sprint is a severe abuse of the word.
  • kingstongraham
    I did a mile a few years back when I was running a bit, and did 5:30. That felt horrific, you need to go out at a pace that feels too fast, then keep it going while every fibre of you says slow down. It's so different even to a 5k.

I think I'd probably injure myself if I ever tried to sprint.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736

I did a mile a few years back when I was running a bit, and did 5:30. That felt horrific, you need to go out at a pace that feels too fast, then keep it going while every fibre of you says slow down. It's so different even to a 5k.

That's actually decent. When I did a bit of running I could break 5 minutes - this was about 20 years ago - tried to break 6 minutes the other year and tore my calf - took about 6 months to heal properly.

God knows what my 100 metres time would be now - it'd probably be classed as an endurance event.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,749
    I have doubts that more than 1/3 of the population over 35 could run 100m.
    Walk, yes; jog, maybe; run, no.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • morstar
    I think the forum has inadvertently identified its preferred new olympic sport.
    The MAMIL dash.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    oxoman said:

How about ex wife target shooting, several on here would be medal contenders.

Now you're just showing off, gloating that you have an ex wife.
    Some of us are stuck with theirs.

Hows about we compete for the Les Dawson trophy? Mothers in law could become an endangered species.
  • ugo.santalucia
    What's happened to amateur boxing? Didn't they use to wear protective helmets at the Olympics? Seems one step backwards
  • morstar

What's happened to amateur boxing? Didn't they use to wear protective helmets at the Olympics? Seems one step backwards

Rotational injuries are found to be more problematic than the benefits offered by padding.

There is a similar school of thought that bare knuckle boxing is safer than with gloves on.
    Whilst blood injuries are more common, the ability to deliver multiple, sustained blows to the head is diminished.
  • ugo.santalucia
    morstar said:

Rotational injuries are found to be more problematic than the benefits offered by padding.

There is a similar school of thought that bare knuckle boxing is safer than with gloves on.
    Whilst blood injuries are more common, the ability to deliver multiple, sustained blows to the head is diminished.
    I like to watch boxing, but I think as a society we should encourage kids to take on wrestling instead... it seems a healthier way to fight (if not as remunerative)
  • DeVlaeminck

morstar said:

I like to watch boxing, but I think as a society we should encourage kids to take on wrestling instead... it seems a healthier way to fight (if not as remunerative)
    Yes I'm a bit conflicted - I was put off when I actually went to watch boxing live - Neville Brown was the headline fight.

It just seemed that much more brutal in close proximity - obviously there is much more awareness of the long term impact on the brain now as well.

I've actually enjoyed the TKD - I wouldn't have thought I would but if I were axlot younger I'd be tempted to give sport TKD a go.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,593
    morstar said:

I thought the problem with bare knuckle boxing was that it matches very defensive and boring. I know nothing about boxing though.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613

morstar said:

Worked out OK for The Rock 😉
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    If Olympic gold isn’t the pinnacle for a sport then it shouldn’t be at the games.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ugo.santalucia
    seanoconn said:

If Olympic gold isn’t the pinnacle for a sport then it shouldn’t be at the games.

agree... that rules out male football, tennis and golf... as per original post and male road cycling
  • morstar

morstar said:

I thought the problem with bare knuckle boxing was that it matches very defensive and boring. I know nothing about boxing though.
    Quite possibly. I have very limited knowledge, I was just aware that it has been touted as reducing brain injury.
  • DeVlaeminck
    morstar said:

morstar said:

Quite possibly. I have very limited knowledge, I was just aware that it has been touted as reducing brain injury.

Yes it's the cuts that would be the problem I think

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,920
    edited August 2021
    Not really, there's much less contact with the head (more body shots) mainly due to the difference in strength of the jaw bone vs the bones in the hands.

A quick web search will get an abundance of evidence that bare knuckle boxing would prevent a lot of the serious brain injuries that are the biggest risk.

EDIT: Ignore. I'm apparently unable to read properly. Misread a article I was reading on the subject
  • morstar

morstar said:

morstar said:

Yes it's the cuts that would be the problem I think

Exactly, the ability to keep pummelling somebody in the head is reduced by the destruction of your hands and their face.

A more brutal and immediately damaging encounter but ultimately less dangerous in the long run.
  • seanoconn said:

+1
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Most of the new sports have been OK. I'd ditch the "street" skateboarding and retain the "park" which is vastly superior. I'd probably get rid of karate altogether (or keep it at the expense of Tae Kwon Do) but the kata shouldn't be there at all, that used to be a necessary evil to pass a grading but has no place in competition, we'll end up with Tai Chi, yoga or contemporary dance in the Games at this rate. 3 on 3 basketball is a bit rubbish too, it's the equivalent of a 5 a side football match using jumpers for goalposts.

Not sure surfing has a long term future, it would seem to limit options for host cities unless they build artificial venues. Paris hosting it in Tahiti is farcical.

Of the older sports I'd ditech table tennis. It seems to drag on for the whole Games with far too much TV coverage and every match seems to be the same.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Karate is a one off cos Japan, like Baseball...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490

I managed 6' 40" for a mile on the track the last time I tried a couple of years ago.

I used to do 400m in about 63" and 100m in 14ish. Now, when I'm doing reps in training, I'm happy to manage about 1'40" for 400m. My colleague can run a marathon at the equivalent of an 85" 400m rep (he was a pace maker for 2:30 at the Olympic trials a few months ago).
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Was there a car waxing and sanding the floor section in the karate?